Need advice on fluids (Read 1362 times)

Now that was a bath...

Yesterday I made the rather stupid decision to run in the midday sun on my long run. I left at 11:06 and by the time I was half way through my 10km run my mouth was so dry I would have killed for water. Rather than commit such a major crime I accosted a man in his garden and begged unashamedly. That glass of iced water was the highlight of my year! I realise that as we get further into summer and my runs are getting longer, I am going to need to rehydrate during my runs. What's the best way of doing this? (Noe to JK: I am not drinking alcohol at present so no solution to be found there) I have two questions... 1.) Am I better off drinking water or sports drinks? 2.) How do I carry my drink? On a side note, despite the searing heat, sunburn, dehydration and a four minute stop at the 'water man's' house - I managed to run 10.82km in 1hr 5min at a 9:41 pace. I am pleased with that because that time includes the stop. If I take out the stop time I managed to do it at a 9:05 pace. I think if I push myself I can get my pace down to sub 9:00 soon. This run was held at the same time of day that my first race is going to be only it will be much hotter and the hills will be much steeper. Yikes! Claire xxx (Modified for rubbish spelling)
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Speed demon! Big grin I really LOVE my Camelbak (I have a waist model). It holds 45oz. I usually do a mix of sports drink and water...generally diluting the drink to half or third strength, since straight Gatorade or Powerade tends to make me queasy. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

derek

1.) Am I better off drinking water or sports drinks? 2.) How do I carry my drink?
        I carry water with me on all my runs, even short ones. I don't tend to drink during the short runs, but it's nice to have it as I cool down. I use a Nathan Water belt that can carry 4 10-oz bottles, but Fuel Belt makes one too.. I take just 1 bottle on 5 miles or less and 2 bottles on 6 miles or more. For the distances I'm running (10 miles max) I don't feel the need for anything other than water. As I go longer though, I will carry Gatorade or something similar.

Derek

Now that was a bath...

Thanks guys, plenty of food for thought with both those products! Zoomy - I think I recall reading once that your Camelbak had rubbed slightly. Was that right? So do you drink from it using the tube or do you remove the bottle? Derek - I liked lot's of the products on the Nathan website! One that particularly caught my eye was the Elite 2V with two angled water bottles and also the Elite 1 plus which has one 22oz bottle and a nutrition flask. I was wondering if at some point in the future I will need nutrition on runs and whether or not I should consider getting a belt with this addition now. Do you think one 22oz water bottle is enough or will I regret not getting a belt with more fluid storage? They also do some belts specifically designed for women so if I feel the need to refresh myself from a girly purple/lavender belt - that opportunity is available. Anybody had any hydration buys that they've regretted? Claire xxx

Now that was a bath...

Doh, ok I think I get the Camelbak now - it's like a bladder filled with fluids? I can't decide whether I would prefer that or removable bottles. Claire xxx
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Doh, ok I think I get the Camelbak now - it's like a bladder filled with fluids?
              Yep. What rubbed a little on my lower back was the waist-pack, itself. Actually, what rubbed was the shirt UNDER the pack. But a little Bodyglide and that problem never presented itself again. What's cool about the Camelbak is that I forget I'm wearing it. Nothing bouncing around and I didn't have to stop even once during my HM...I was able to keep up my slow and steady pace through all of the aid stations, yet I had all the fluids I needed. It also has a pocket that I was able to keep things in...like nutritional stuff. k

~ Sarah Kay

derek

Do you think one 22oz water bottle is enough or will I regret not getting a belt with more fluid storage?
                You can also look at the Amphipod belts as they are actually expandable. You can add more bottles as necessary. That way, you don't need to be concerned about outgrowing it in the future. I would think 22ozs might not be enough on longer runs. With the Nathan belt I have, I can carry 40ozs and even then, I would be concerned once I get into my marathon training and am doing 20-mile runs.

Derek

I usually don't bring water if I'm running less than an hour. A glass of water before and after the run seems plenty for me. Regarding sports drinks vs water: some people don't ever take sports drinks. I usually take sports drinks for my long runs over an hour and a half. I carry it all in a bottle. I have a belt where the bottle lays horizontally and is easy to get in and out. It's dates before those Camelbacks for runners came along, so I never had a chance to try these.
                  vicentefrijole

You can also look at the Amphipod belts as they are actually expandable.
                    I have this system and it works very well for me, even at a fast pace. I generally don't wear it, though, unless I'm going out over 12 miles or so... but sometimes for shorter runs I will carry one of the bottles in my hand (once it's empty, it fits in my pocket and doesn't bother me much), so there are lots of ways to do it... Also consider the "fuel belt" system.. very popular with the elite-runner crowd (carries less fluids, but a little more efficiently). BTW, if you were experiencing that kind of a thirst response at around 5K, you probably were a little dehydrated when you started your run? Maybe try drinking more water throughout the day? Of course, you might then have another problem (you'll be asking that man to use his toilet)... water balance is a tricky problem! I become very jealous when you say things like "as we get further into summer"... we've got snow on the ground here... Tongue
                      I run around parks with water fountains. I actually plan my runs so I run by water every now and then. Smile I haven't been on any runs more than an hour or so yet, but I will probably just carry gel in a pocket with me on runs longer than that. In the summer, when it gets super hot (100+ degrees with no humidity - I live in the desert), I tend to just carry a water bottle filled with Cytomax or the Powerbar drink mix. For some reason drinking plain water when it's that hot gets me kind of queasy - I think I do need the extra carbs and sodium from a sports drink. I can't make it more than half an hour or so when it's that hot out without fluids.

Now that was a bath...

Thanks everyone. Vicente, I was actually really well hydrated before I left as I drink water continuously during the day and I had a huge glass about 50 minutes before I left. I wonder if the dehydration could be due to the really high humidity that we have here (Auckland frequently sees 95-100% humidity in the summer)? Or maybe I am just a bit of a girl-pants when it comes to running in the heat of the day! Sistinas, it sounds like our climates are opposite! The temperature here is pretty stable. It's warm and it's moist which is why everything grows so well. The temp hits 80 at the begining of summer and pretty much stays there with little fluctuation until Autumn hits. The only real fluctuation is in the humidity. Sometimes I am sweating before I even dry off from my shower even when the temperature is only in the mid 70's. Claire xxx
                        vicentefrijole

Vicente, I was actually really well hydrated before I left as I drink water continuously during the day and I had a huge glass about 50 minutes before I left. I wonder if the dehydration could be due to the really high humidity that we have here (Auckland frequently sees 95-100% humidity in the summer)?
                          Oh!... I didn't realize the humidity you get there! I used to live in New Orleans and, you're right, that humidity really changes everything! Tongue Perhaps you could benifit from a electrolyte-sports drink then? You know your body best.. I guess I was concerned because my doc told me that the thirst response is a very slow indicator of body hydration (i.e. by the time you are thirsty, you're pretty well dehydrated). Anyways, enjoy that heat for those of us in the other hemisphere! Big grin
                          JakeKnight

Note to JK: I am not drinking alcohol at present so no solution to be found there
                            Shocked Wha? Huh? I'm sorry, we can no longer communicate. Your priorities are horribly skewed, and your training methods frighten me. No drinking? At all? That is blasphemy, and I cannot stand for it. You are dead to me. Next you'll, like, stop eating meat or something. Oh. The horror.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anybody else have any input on the Amphipod system? I have read that the fuel belt bottles sometimes have leakage issues. I also like that the Amphipod bottles can be attached upright or sideways and one can use 8 or 10.5oz bottles. I love my Camelbak, but it's kind of a pain to clean the bladder and my pack is really difficult to refill on the fly (Eryn has an older version of the same model and hers is much easier to load the bladder into), which would make it not as useful on longer Summer runs if the weather is fairly hot. Yesterday I found that by the end of the race I just wanted plain water, but I usually fill my Camelbak with a 1:1 mix of Gatorade and water. I'm thinking that the Amphipod might be nice to have a little variety in what I can bring to drink during a long run.

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

I have this system and I am just getting used to it. I used it for an 8 miler and the bottles slid from my back around to the sides and my arm kept hitting them. The belt and bottles themselves don't bug me or flap around but I have to figure out how to keep the bottles from sliding along the belt. I have a bit of a hard time getting the bottles out of the holder but I don't have any leakage problems. I probably won't wear it during my marathon since there are water stations every 2 miles. It is definately handy for running over 1.25 hrs
                                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)