Looking for advice from experienced runners. (Read 155 times)

Natcox64

I have started my workout routine and have started losing weight. I want to add running into the mix. I am not a natural runner. But my goal is to hit 200 mi. Within a week. I know most people do not push themselves this hard but mine is for a specific reason. Since I am new to running I dont not fully understand how running shorter distance equals be able to achieve the big run. Like marathon runs do not run 26 no. Everyday... So what would be the best way to work up to my goal? Thanks a bunch for any info.

Booyah!

You want to run 200 miles in a week?? That is farther than a marathon/day!!  To say that is a lofty goal is a huge understatement. Elites don't even approach those kinds of miles. Add that you are a beginner and not a natural runner and you have a pretty big uphill battle.It will probably take years of training if you don't end up getting injured first.There are ultra runners that do that kind of thing, i would read up on what they do to prepare. I don't know what to say besides start running (slowly) as much as you body can handle.

I'm hoping you meant 200k but even that would be difficult for a newbie.

PR's:

5K- 20:15 (2017)   HM- 1:39:38 (2012)    FM- 3:26:53 (2016)

I don't think I have ever met anyone here who actually has run 200 miles in a week as part of normal training routine.

A good way to find the high mileage runners is to go through the 2018 running competition and check the 2018 mileage goals.

That said its almost too crazy not to write a book about it: couch to 200mpw. Go for it. If you can do it, I will buy that book!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Natcox64

Ha thanks but I'm not a writer...

Natcox64

Its training to prepare for more training...lol

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

This is harsh but running 200 miles in one week is literally the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of. Good luck with that.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

paul2432

My response assumes your goal is to run 200 miles in a week once, not over and over.  I also assuming that this is something you are doing on your own, so you can choose the where and when.  For the 200 mile week itself pick a flat course, with shade during a cool time of year.  I’d probably break this into 4-5 runs per day instead of one long run per day, maybe start a new run every 4 hours.  That will give you time to rest and eat between runs.

For training I don’t think you need to run anywhere near 200/week to do this.  60-80 MPW should be plenty.  Practice the 4-5 run thing on some Saturday and Sunday (back to back both days)

Just for some context the record for running in a 6-day event is over 600 miles.  You have an extra day and only need to cover less than a third the distance.

I agree with MJ5. There is a high likelihood of getting yourself injured, leading to weekly mileage of zero.

I know most people do not push themselves this hard but mine is for a specific reason. Since I am new to running I dont not fully understand how running shorter distance equals be able to achieve the big run. Like marathon runs do not run 26 no. Everyday... 

I still don't follow your reasoning. You don't understand how training works, so you are going to randomly pick an outrageously high number? Buy a book on how to get started running, or just google it. The only legit reason I can think of to do this is if someone has bet you a significant amount of money that you can't.

Dave

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

What, a whole week to run 200 miles?  Here's a friend's writeup about running 205 miles in four days.

Goals are good.  But if you've just started running, maybe start with something a little less likely to land you in the orthopedist's office.

jfa

Sounds like a sure way to get injured, discouraged, and a way to throw running away for you forever. It's a sport of patience. If you are, you get to experience many positive benefits. Run all your life, not just for a week. That's the proper goal.

paul2432

This is harsh but running 200 miles in one week is literally the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of. Good luck with that.

there are plenty of races where folks cover 200 miles in less than a week.  There are also plenty of fastest known time routes longer than 200 miles that folks cover in under a week ( or more than 200/week)

Are all the people that participate in these doing the “stupidest thing you ever heard of”?

People like to to challenge themselves.

T Hound

Slower but happier

My response assumes your goal is to run 200 miles in a week once, not over and over.  I also assuming that this is something you are doing on your own, so you can choose the where and when.  For the 200 mile week itself pick a flat course, with shade during a cool time of year.  I’d probably break this into 4-5 runs per day instead of one long run per day, maybe start a new run every 4 hours.  That will give you time to rest and eat between runs.

For training I don’t think you need to run anywhere near 200/week to do this.  60-80 MPW should be plenty.  Practice the 4-5 run thing on some Saturday and Sunday (back to back both days)

Just for some context the record for running in a 6-day event is over 600 miles.  You have an extra day and only need to cover less than a third the distance.

Paul that is interesting idea how to break it up.  I don’t think I could be so patient.  I agree a cool fall week a flat looped course maybe a mile or 2.  Set up a tent, a cooler with some barrel aged stout like dragons milk and a few pounds of bacon.Smile And of course some water and tailwind.  I’ve actually contemplated doing this in the Park where I live (I’d have to forgo the beer in that case) it has a 1mile path, but I was thinking 100 mile in 24 hour as a reasonable goal.  200 mile would be at least 3-4 days.  Not sure I’m down for that.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

there are plenty of races where folks cover 200 miles in less than a week.  There are also plenty of fastest known time routes longer than 200 miles that folks cover in under a week ( or more than 200/week)

Are all the people that participate in these doing the “stupidest thing you ever heard of”?

People like to to challenge themselves.

Well you could probably make that case. But anyway, pretty sure none of them are "new to running", as is the OP.

Dave

Gator eye

Running is stupid.

unless your being chased by a bear

that's what most people tell me

Sound like a great goal, go for it and tell us the story

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Actually back in the '60s when Arthur Lydiard's training methods first became known in the US, a number of high profile runners who misinterpreted them claimed to regularly run 200 mpw. The best known for that was Gerry Lindgren who set several American records at 3 miles/5000m and 6 miles/10000m, one of the 6 mile times also being the world record. that you don't see runners still doing that is an indication that it wasn't as effective as one would like and also led to breakdowns and injuries. Some of Lindgren's claims also need to be taken with more than a bit of skepticism. I recall he once claimed he ran 20 miles in training that would have taken him to a world record for 10 miles along the way awhile continuing at the same pace.

While it may be stupid, elite ultra runners, both men and women, can run more than 200 miles in a 48 hour race. It's not unusual for them to run 300 miles or more in 6-day races. A couple men have run over 600 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.