Just Started Running (Read 897 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

When I go back and re-read Nobby's longer original post, not his anti-Penguin kick, it doesn't sound anything like track workouts. He recommends 30-45 min runs a few times a week and some occasional form practice that he calls "running fast" but sounds a lot more like concentrating on running form than on running speed. vengencewins, it sounds like you have gotten some great results from what you're doing. Congrats on your improvements! Noah, I think these guys are both basically saying the same thing. And are both worth listening to. Run a lot. Have fun with it. Take the long view and you'll do well in the long run. Good luck to you!

Roads were made for journeys...

Heh. One more victim of the flat aspect of the message board then. Yes, I thought you were mad. And I agree that running fast can be fun. As can running slow. To me, running against the watch has never been fun. Or doing anything against the watch, come to think of it. Big grin
      I'm actually total agreement with you here. I curl my toes when I read young kids trying to see how fast they can run a mile and a half in 2 weeks. Throw away that damn watch (or garmin, for that matter) and go by how you feel...
      vengeancewins

When I go back and re-read Nobby's longer original post, not his anti-Penguin kick, it doesn't sound anything like track workouts. He recommends 30-45 min runs a few times a week and some occasional form practice that he calls "running fast" but sounds a lot more like concentrating on running form than on running speed. vengencewins, it sounds like you have gotten some great results from what you're doing. Congrats on your improvements! Noah, I think these guys are both basically saying the same thing. And are both worth listening to. Run a lot. Have fun with it. Take the long view and you'll do well in the long run. Good luck to you!
        Alright. I guess we both are in agreement then. I didn't read his post originally before I posted. I'm fine with working on form and that could be beneficial for him.

Hawt and sexy

LOL, um, vengeance, trust me, Nobby does not think any runner needs to just do speedwork all the time. Google the Lydiard Foundation. Then look at the founding members, and notice the Japanese man on the staff and his nickname. Start studying about this Arthur guy. You will see what Nobby is all about. Lydiard is old skool. I hear old skool is hawt right now.

I'm touching your pants.

I have to disagree with you. This kid is only 12 and just started running. He should just be enjoying running for now and not destroying his body by doing too much speed work at a young age. And the only way to learn how to run is to, well, run. And that means mileage, not an 8x400m workout. Building a base is the most important thing you need to gain speed. I know what it takes to get under a 5 minute mile like he wants to. I started out last year by only doing fartlek and interval type workouts like you think he should do. What happened? I didn't improve much at all. I was consistently around a 5:10 mile and could never bring it down even though I felt like I could do so much better. Then I cut back on speed work and instead focused on more miles. The end result? My mile time continued to drop over the next month until I ended up with a 4:52. Now this summer I have only ran miles and have not touched speed work at all. My average pace per workout has dropped over 30 seconds without more effort. If I would run a time trial for the mile I would be confident in running 4:40ish. I wouldn't be able to say that if I ran hard every day. Enough about me. I just REALLY think that if he does all this speed work without the aerobic capacity necessary for the mile he will burn out and never reach his full potential.
            From what I ream from your post, I'd have to say you're a typical example of mixing up what WE term anaerobic training and speed. I wasn't talking about workout like 8X400 AT ALL. I was talking about 30 YARDS dash. I'm the one who's trying to convey Arthur Lydiard's message. Lydiard was totally against young kids doing "anaerobic" repeats which most American high school coaches would give them; but he would always encourage young kids to work on their "raw" speed by doing some drills and hill exercises. Most people only see Lydiard as aerobic only guy or a 100-miles-a-week guy which is not true. Kids play soccer and they "sprint" as hard as they can for 30, 40, 50 yards easily and that ain't going to hurt them at all. It's a PROLONGED speed such as 400s, as you mentioned (and I didn't ;o)), that woulc hurt them. For young kids, I don't even like 200s repeats. Any distance between 200 and 800 would be highly taxing to them. If it's the repeats, I don't even like 100s! But sprinting 30 yards with plenty of recovery in between will not gonna hurt them at all. On the contrary, like I said, learning to run properly would teach them to run injury free. You see kids with their arms and legs growing 3 inches in 3 days run around with knocked-knees and all. If they don't do anything to strengthen appropriate muscles to strengthen them and balance their form, they'll get hurt. In the condition like that, just pile up lots of miles blindly may cause some problems. Sure, they'll need some adult supervision; need experts' guidance. But just tell them to go out and run and run a lot (slowly) can be just as irresponsible in my opinon. They'll need a lot more than just that. I tried to put my message so a 12-year-old can (hopefully) understand. It may not be sofisticated enough; or it may be too confusing. Then that would be my fault.
              I have to disagree with you. This kid is only 12 and just started running. He should just be enjoying running for now and not destroying his body by doing too much speed work at a young age. And the only way to learn how to run is to, well, run. And that means mileage, not an 8x400m workout. Building a base is the most important thing you need to gain speed. I know what it takes to get under a 5 minute mile like he wants to. I started out last year by only doing fartlek and interval type workouts like you think he should do. What happened? I didn't improve much at all. I was consistently around a 5:10 mile and could never bring it down even though I felt like I could do so much better. Then I cut back on speed work and instead focused on more miles. The end result? My mile time continued to drop over the next month until I ended up with a 4:52. Now this summer I have only ran miles and have not touched speed work at all. My average pace per workout has dropped over 30 seconds without more effort. If I would run a time trial for the mile I would be confident in running 4:40ish. I wouldn't be able to say that if I ran hard every day. Enough about me. I just REALLY think that if he does all this speed work without the aerobic capacity necessary for the mile he will burn out and never reach his full potential.
              We never read other's post fully before we actually put our foot in the mouth and throw our own opinion, do we...! ;o) Well, I went back and re-read your post a bit more fully again. Here's my own experience. There was this kid in high school where I helped once. He was always so close to breaking 4:40 for the mile. He was like 4:46, 4:43, 4:47... He got tired of it. He was working out very hard; he would do all the 400s and 800s repeats as prescribed by his coach. I got a permisson to work with him separately from his own coach. I took him out for a long run of about 1:30--the kid was actually faster than me at the time so it was good for him that I ran with him because it slowed him down! ;o) We would take some big hill along the way just for fun. But instead of 400s and 800s, we did lots of 120s floats. You start picking up the pace around the bend and you'd sprint as fast as you can about 3/4 of the straight; always working on good posture, good knee lift, straight arm swing, looking up (not down), good back-leg extension... We did that a few times a week. Mind you; kids compete sometimes twice a week (as you know) so he didn't need any "anaerobic" workout. About a month later, he ran 4:38. He then told me that he ran faster by doing less. Well, not quite that simple equasion; but there's no point of trying too hard without knowing what the heck you're doing. By the way, he was naturally a bit tense runner with shoulders up and tight. Working on relaxed speed really helped him. For others, it may be something else...