Newtons....pros and cons? (Read 211 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Went into the running store today for a shoe fitting and was "open to anything" and he put me in Newton Motion IIIs. Never thought I'd try Newtons but I LOVED the way they felt running on the treadmill. I bought them. But now doing more research I'm getting nervous. Apparently there is a long and difficult adapting period and they could cause calf tightness. I already have SUCH tight calves. I'm wondering if it is worth it to transition to them or if it is more trouble than they're worth. What kind of benefits would I have from sticking out the transition?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

ultramarathon/triathlete

A good number of my friends run in them.  I've never heard anyone complain.

But I also know a lot of people who run in vibrams and never complain.  Or run barefoot and never complain.

I think it's all hoooey, personally.  But if they work for you and you feel ok, I say great.   They cost more though, no?  Maybe that's why the sales guy recco'd them for you?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

I took a flyer on a pair back in December because they were on deep liquidation at RW (I think they were about 2 generations old, the Distance XI maybe?) and this was just before Virratas were on liquidation and I was looking for a light neutral trainer with a little something more underfoot than the Skechers I had been running in, as winter was approaching…

Anyway, I didn’t have to experience any transition period or anything. Put them through a pretty tough Dec and Jan with a bunch of long runs, and a lot of snow and ice. Got a good 400 miles+, and probably could have gone more. I liked the big open toe box, and they were durable and light. Maybe a little slippery on corners at speed with that lug thing they had going.

Good enough shoe, but I wouldn’t pay full price for them. No magic there for the premium. If they’re comfortable though, and you can afford them, I’ve got nothing against Newtons. I doubt they’ll fix your form, or make you faster, but a benefit of a comfy shoe is it gets you to run more.

MTA: I didn't go back to buy any more. I got in a good groove with the Saucony Virratas right after that pair.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        Birdwell

My former running partner tried a pair of newtons. He loved them, until they messed up his Achilles and put him on the disabled list for 4 months. He hates them now.

bluerun

Super B****

I wanted to try them for a long time but was put off by the price.  I picked up a pair at a warehouse sale last year.

I ran a single mile in them.  My calves were screaming.  And it's not the drop, because I've worn zero drop with no problems.  I decided that I have enough problems and don't need to add to them, so I haven't run in them since.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Netizen Kane

I've had 3 pairs. No problems transitioning - I used the Sir Isaac model first which is supposed to be the more like a traditional running shoe, the Distance S gave some tight calves, but not an injury and ok after a few runs. Pros and cons:

Cons - not so good on wet surfaces (not enough foot contact with the ground), not so good on downhills (hard to run forefoot downhill), can be expensive (but can be found discounted too).

Pros - they genuinely do feel faster than normal shoes at the same effort. I'll only use them for tempo runs as I find it quite hard to run easy in them.

Hip Redux

I've been in Newtons for the last two years, no issues.  They really aren't that different if you are used to a 4mm drop.  The move from a traditional 12mm drop to a 4mm drop will need a transition period regardless if they are Newton's lug design or not, IMO.

Jeez  Kristen... didnt we talk you off the ledge in Running Shoe Geeks?  Smile

---------

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My wife loves them, though she doesn't run (she was trying to get into it when she bought them).  She just REALLY likes how they feel for walking around shoes.  No transition issues with that.

I bought a pair at the same time she was getting her first.  They were comfy and I definitely feel like I could have run in them, but like Kevin said, they didn't feel $70 better than a similar pair of Brooks or Saucony, so I exchanged them.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Jess Calloway

I'm pro.  I like the original fig ones better than the other fruit ones they have now.

tightlaces

tightlaces

I am currently running in my first pair of Newtons (about 200mi in) and absolutely love them. As a strong heel striker, I was looking for something that would aid in my transition to a mid-strike. Feeling the "pop" with each stride really helped me to focus my form and placement.

As for the calf-tightness, I wouldn't say they make your calves tight, they just work them a little harder because of the 3mm drop. I transitioned from regular sneakers (12mm) to New Balance Minimus (00mm) and then to Newtons (3mm). While my legs were already used to the low-drop heel, the Newtons really helped to provide more heel protection than I found in the Minimus.

I can understand why others have said that the price is too steep; they are an expensive pair of shoes. However, this has been the first shoe in ten years that has allowed me to run regularly without injury. Although the shoes and the "pop" may be gimmicky, the change in my form and pace is noticeable and to me, that's worth the price.

I bought a pair of the Distances on clearance and have worked them into the rotation, using them mainly for long runs and easy runs.  As others have said, they are sort of a "disciplinarian" shoe, that require and enforce a midfoot landing.  I have found that they don't always work as well if I drift more towards landing on the forefoot, as I tend to do when picking up speed or going uphill.  Nicely lightweight, and no calf issues for me.

Hoban-Jay

I'm pro FIG Newton's...much better than gels and goop and such non-sense.