Dang it...does anyone have the Hansons book on-hand? (Read 168 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I've got a speedwork session today after school, and managed to run off (so to speak) and leave my copy at home, failing to even look up the pace before doing so.

How fast am I supposed to run the Week 3 600m intervals?  Marathon goal is 3:15, last 5K time was a little under 19:00.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

bhearn

All the intervals are 5Kish pace.

MTA those 5K and marathon times don't really match up.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

MTA those 5K (19) and marathon times (3:15) don't really match up.

(Added times)

They did for me, I think. But I think my longer times have generally all look less trained than my shorter times.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

MTA those 5K and marathon times don't really match up.

I know, right?  I've been puzzling over that.  Yet, the last 5K I ran was somewhere just shy of 19 (hard to say exactly because I feel strongly the course was short), and my last marathon was 3:19:53 - and I didn't leave anything on the course in either race.

MTA: ...and yes, I'm training at 3:15 pace anyway.  It worked well for me last go 'round, when I trained at 3:20 pace having run the last marathon in 3:30.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

bhearn

Whereas I have yet to break 19, but have run sub-3 four times.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Workout went pretty well yesterday, and *cue inspirational music* I learned a few things about myself, which made the discrepancy we mentioned in my times a little more clear.

After digging back through my log, I was "remembering" myself to be a little faster than I actually was!    Back on Sept. 14, that sketchy race I mentioned that was probably too short (my Garmin said it was 2.97, and it measures long) was run in 18:57, so it could have been in the neighborhood of 19:30 if I'd gone a full 5K.  Which still doesn't line up with a 3:20 marathon, but puts us a little closer, especially if I'm training at 3:15 paces

Speaking of which, running last night's intervals mostly by feel, the paces ranged from 6:17 to 6:36 (with only 3/10 above 6:30), so according to McMillan seems like I'm looking pretty good for the 3:15 marathon, especially since I'm currently running with about eight extra pounds of chocolate peanut butter balls on me...you think?

Log is public, anyone's free to look.

Speaking of which, running last night's intervals mostly by feel, the paces ranged from 6:17 to 6:36 (with only 3/10 above 6:30), so according to McMillan seems like I'm looking pretty good for the 3:15 marathon, especially since I'm currently running with about eight extra pounds of chocolate peanut butter balls on me...you think?

I don't think a set of 600s can say much at all about whether you're on track for a 3:15 marathon. That's not the point of the workout.

Good workout. Put it in the books and move on to the next one.

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I don't think a set of 600s can say much at all about whether you're on track for a 3:15 marathon. That's not the point of the workout.

Good workout. Put it in the books and move on to the next one.

Yeah, that's true.  I guess I'm more just hoping I ran the intervals at an appropriate pace.

"Appropriate" or not, it did feel like a good workout...I didn't have anything left in the tank after that last 600, and while I wasn't as consistent as I would have liked, there was at least a nice bell curve to the paces (last interval was actually a little faster - accidentally "double-clicked" the "stop/start" button at the end and didn't realize it until some seconds later).

Why is it sideways?

Yeah, that's true.  I guess I'm more just hoping I ran the intervals at an appropriate pace.

"Appropriate" or not, it did feel like a good workout...I didn't have anything left in the tank after that last 600, and while I wasn't as consistent as I would have liked, there was at least a nice bell curve to the paces (last interval was actually a little faster - accidentally "double-clicked" the "stop/start" button at the end and didn't realize it until some seconds later).

I think if you didn't have anything left in the tank after a set of 600s in a marathon plan, you sorta didn't do it right.

This is speed/form work; shouldn't be ball-busting, but instead to get out of a plodding rhythm into a faster gait. It shouldn't be hugely aerobically challenging.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I think if you didn't have anything left in the tank after a set of 600s in a marathon plan, you sorta didn't do it right.

This is speed/form work; shouldn't be ball-busting, but instead to get out of a plodding rhythm into a faster gait. It shouldn't be hugely aerobically challenging.

Hmm...okay.

I don't know that I'd say my "balls were busted..." I could have run more intervals, but my form would have gotten sloppy in the last 200m of each.  But, maybe that does mean I'm taking them too fast.

MTA: I did run them at about the same pace as that last 5K 2.97-mile race I ran.

Why is it sideways?

The most important thing is that you feel good about the workout and you got it done. That little bit about emptying the tank just caught my eye. Nice work!

bhearn

I don't think 600s typically wipe me out, but once we get to 1000, 1200, 1600, I always find those to be brutal workouts. Maybe I'm running them too fast? Or maybe I just don't run enough 5Ks to have developed any comfort at that pace.

i don't remember a specific pace.   i think faster than your marathon pace but i don't recall the book stating a specific speed or % faster than your marathon pace for the interval portion of the cycle..

i'm not sure I'd worry much about it.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Why is it sideways?

I don't think 600s typically wipe me out, but once we get to 1000, 1200, 1600, I always find those to be brutal workouts. Maybe I'm running them too fast? Or maybe I just don't run enough 5Ks to have developed any comfort at that pace.

That's the difference between 600s and 1000s or mile repeats (and it's also why the Hansons prescribe 600s and not the other work during marathon training -- to get good solid rhythm running without draining the body.)