running into a train trestle not a good idea (Read 1182 times)

enjoying a nice sunshiny morning running around trails along the river like I've done hundreds of times before.  took a little side trail that leads up to the old railroad trestle not used for many years.   for about 1/2 mile I'm running on the trestle until it gets to the point where it used to cross over the river (bridge taken out 10 yrs ago to stop the local kids from jumping off-almost like an initiation).  at this point I jump off the tracks & back on to the trail that leads back under the start of the old bridge.  have run this many many times before & know to duck my head just a bit to clear the beam.  this morning for some reason forgot to duck & hit full force on the edge of the beam.  knocked myself down & almost knocked out.   walked out of the park & about 3/4 mile  to the gym to clean up & get ride home.    fortunately I take tp with me on most of my runs just in case,  today it came in handy to help the blood flow.    people at the gym were freaking out when they saw me & when I had chance to look in the mirror I understood why.  my head & face was covered with blood flow!  so I had been walking down main street in town about 1/2 mile with my head/face/tp covered in blood with fairly good traffic flow.  blood all over my white hat & bright yellow top.    saw people looking at me, must have been weird sight, but not one person even slowed down to ask if needed help!    anyway people at gym were great, trainer went & found a nurse that was working out, & manager offered ride to hospital.  Had him take me home where dw & dd talked me into going to emergency room.   several stitches & now that the shots are wearing off  headache coming on.  

moral of this story:  running is stupid & dangerous & next time won't forget to duck!  painkiller shots to the head are sharp & very painful  but probably better than the alternative:staples to the head.

just wanted to share my lovely story

joescott

oohh.  sorry about that!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

Dang.  Glad you are (mostly) ok.

Reminds me of the time I went out right at dawn on a crisp sub-zero morning.  Slipped on a spot of black ice a quarter mile into the run, head hit the pavement and I knocked myself silly.  After walking in circles for a few minutes I decided to finish the run.  Felt pretty good by the end, but I did notice  a lot of early morning commuters looking at me.

Then I got home and looked in the mirror.  I had split my lip open and not felt it in the cold; the entire front of me was covered in frozen blood.  All that gore, and not a single person bothered to stop and ask if I was OK.

Humanity redeemed itself a couple years later when I was running along a busy road, stepped in what I assumed to be a patch of frozen dirt where workers had removed a section of sidewalk, and instead sank my foot into 6 inches of soupy mud.  My toe hooked under the concrete on the far side, forming a perfect pivot point around which I rotated at sub-5:10 pace and did a faceplant into the concrete.  As I dazedly staggered down the sidewalk coming to my senses, some driver turned around and went out of his way to follow me, make sure I was OK, and offer me a ride whereever I needed to go.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It must have been the day for things like that. I usually run in the streets through our development before first light because there are hardly ever any cars. Yesterday morning a car came so I hopped up on the sidewalk and ran under a tree hanging over the walkway. Didn't see the limb in the half light and knocked myself down to the ground. Wasn't as bad a shot as you guys seemed to have taken but it still wasn't pleasant. It is always nice going to work with a fresh head wound too!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Then I got home and looked in the mirror.  I had split my lip open and not felt it in the cold; the entire front of me was covered in frozen blood.  All that gore, and not a single person bothered to stop and ask if I was OK.

'Cause talking to zombies is generally a bad idea.

Did you take a picture?  Injury photos are awesome -- proof of hardcore points earned.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Humanity redeemed itself a couple years later when I was running along a busy road, stepped in what I assumed to be a patch of frozen dirt where workers had removed a section of sidewalk, and instead sank my foot into 6 inches of soupy mud.  My toe hooked under the concrete on the far side, forming a perfect pivot point around which I rotated at sub-5:10 pace and did a faceplant into the concrete.  As I dazedly staggered down the sidewalk coming to my senses, some driver turned around and went out of his way to follow me, make sure I was OK, and offer me a ride whereever I needed to go.

Spaniel, thanks for the "feel good" story, makes me more hopeful for mankind  next time around.

Festus, that sounds very painful as well.  trestle beam or tree limb, either way not particularly the smartest thing to do.  I feel really stupid but will make good story at work tomorrow when people ask why I wasn't at work & I can show them my head stiches

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, thanks for the "feel good" story, makes me more hopeful for mankind  next time around.

Festus, that sounds very painful as well.  trestle beam or tree limb, either way not particularly the smartest thing to do.  I feel really stupid but will make good story at work tomorrow when people ask why I wasn't at work & I can show them my head stiches

Well in both cases I was able to conceal injuries...inside the mouth and on the knee/leg.  If you have stitches on your head, dude, you need a better story of Paul Ryan caliber to tell at work.  Seriously, you really got those stitches from saving your little old neighbor lady from the Crypes, right????

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

running is stupid & dangerous &

...you'll be back at it in a short time.

At least nobody actually saw you crack your head against the trestle.

I tripped on a sidewalk and plowed straight into a stop-sign post on an early AM run last year. Landed on my palms and cut them up pretty good. It must have looked even worse than it was because a couple of motorists pulled over to ask whether I was OK.  Very embarrassing.

I wandered into the nearest building to clean up (I was on the Univ. of GA campus) and walked straight into some kind of conference-breakfast event for a bunch of well-dressed academic types.

They took one look at the dirty, sweaty, dazed-looking guy with bloody hands and gave me LOTS of room to get to the restroom. I'm just glad nobody called the cops.

wandered into the nearest building to clean up (I was on the Univ. of GA campus) and walked straight into some kind of conference-breakfast event for a bunch of well-dressed academic types.

They took one look at the dirty, sweaty, dazed-looking guy with bloody hands and gave me LOTS of room to get to the restroom. I'm just glad nobody called the cops.

that is funny, awesome!   not the fact you fell of course but entering into that room.  anyone ask if you were ok?

that is funny, awesome!   not the fact you fell of course but entering into that room.  anyone ask if you were ok?

Actually, it was pretty funny. It was also surreal -- I was too focused on getting to the restroom to notice whether anybody asked if I was OK.

I finished the run, of course...

...you'll be back at it in a short time.

woke up this morning feeling fine, no headache.  still took couple of tylenol before heading off to work.    ran an easy/short little loop & everything ok.  have a 15k tomorrow but already was planning on using it as a training run & not go all out.  should be a very nice pretty course so will just jump into midpack & enjoy the waterfront views.  already paid for it so might as well go ahead & participate.

update:  woke up early this morning (sat) to drive 80 mns to race, but not feeling well at all (issues other than head). went back to bed.  DNS for race.  feeling better & perfect weather so getting out for an easy run.   good weather around here wont last much longer so have to take advantage & get out & do something.

Didn't happen unless you have the photgraphic evidence posted.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Didn't happen unless you have the photgraphic evidence posted.

It would have been pretty awesome to walk into that conference room, hand someone a camera, and ask them to snap a picture.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It would have been pretty awesome to walk into that conference room, hand someone a camera, and ask them to snap a picture.

Yes, this would put one into the category of way above us ordinary hobbyjoggers.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.