New Runner, Must stay Motivated! (Read 1014 times)

oujenna

Thanks again everyone your advice! I really take it all to heart and love reading it all. I signed up for my first 5K today!! My company is sponsoring our employees to do the Tulsa Run for everyone to participate in the 1 mile "fun run/walk". I paid the extra $15 over what the fun run was so that I could participate in the 5K the same day! The run is October 25th, and that is not in lines with the C25K...but I really think I can do it! Feel free to check out my training logs and notes on how I am doing to get to that date!
      Feel free to check out my training logs and notes on how I am doing to get to that date!
      Your training logs are hidden -- we cant see them.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Motivation will come with how absolutely awesome you will feel. Runner's High? It is so good and natural. I know you can do this!
          Thanks again everyone your advice! I really take it all to heart and love reading it all. I signed up for my first 5K today!! My company is sponsoring our employees to do the Tulsa Run for everyone to participate in the 1 mile "fun run/walk". I paid the extra $15 over what the fun run was so that I could participate in the 5K the same day! The run is October 25th, and that is not in lines with the C25K...but I really think I can do it! Feel free to check out my training logs and notes on how I am doing to get to that date!
          I am doing the Tulsa run also. My running club is paying for me to do the 15K, but since it is my first race EVER, I will likely end up in the 5K. That is my plan, and they are cool with it so far... It is nice to have another OU fan on the boards. Good luck staying motivated. I am a very new runner as well, so I am going through the same things as you.
            The run is October 25th, and that is not in lines with the C25K...but I really think I can do it!
            Congrats on taking the plunge. I would highly suggest that you use the C25K as your training plan even though it doesn't track with the race. You have already been running so starting a week or so into the program shouldn't be an issue. Following the plan will not only keep you motivated, it will keep you from getting carried away and doing too much too soon, a common mistake of new runners. Enjoy the experience of training for your first race! Tom

Insert witty title here

...it will keep you from getting carried away and doing too much too soon, a common mistake of new runners.
              Hmmm... why does that sound familliar?! *rubs knee* Sad Seriously though, that's good advice. Good luck with the race and congrats on committing to it early on!

ThomasRuns Blog
              Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

oujenna

Boomer!!! Soonergal, what running club are you a part of? I just went to fleet feet yesterday and got my first pair of REAL running shoes! (I always just got workout shoes based on how pretty they were in the past, haha). So how is it running with a group when you have just started? I know it would probably be a good thing and a great motivator for me, but I am so competitive that being last would kill my ego. Haha.
                  I am so competitive that being last would kill my ego. Haha.
                  We all probably sound like a broken record here, but I'll repeat the message. You can go ahead, join a club, run as hard and as fast as you can without a base so that you don't come in last place. Then, you can sit on the bench for the next week, month, etc. recovering from injury. There are a bunch of people here who have lots of experience and as they have said: build your base slowly. One day's "race" against imaginary competition will do nothing but head you straight towards an injury. Step back and look at the big picture. Where do you want to be in a month? A year? Everyday should be a day spent working on the steps that help you reach those long term goals. If you get distracted by the person running next to you, someone who has goals and a running history that are completely different than yours, then you are getting distracted by the wrong thing. Determine your own goals. Set up a plan to work towards those goals. Determine how you will measure those goals for yourself. Then ignore what other runners are doing, look inside yourself, work towards your goals, then enjoy your runs and your progress.
                  ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                    Boomer!!! Soonergal, what running club are you a part of? I just went to fleet feet yesterday and got my first pair of REAL running shoes! (I always just got workout shoes based on how pretty they were in the past, haha). So how is it running with a group when you have just started? I know it would probably be a good thing and a great motivator for me, but I am so competitive that being last would kill my ego. Haha.
                    Sooner!! Oh, I am going to be dead last no doubt. I am running with TCC; I am an adjunct instructor there. Our first run together is tomorrow so I will let you know. I am so nervous. You could actually still join if you wanted. You do not have to be a student or staff, they also allow "alumni and friends." You get access to the fitness center and fitness classes as well. I think it is $50 a semester to do that. The fitness center is really nice so it is completely worth the money. If you complete all the training runs, they will pay the entry fee for the 15K in the Tulsa run. Congrats on your running shoes. I got my first pair at Tulsa Runner in July, and they have made so much difference. It is amazing what a good pair of shoes can do!
                      I have looked at the C25K several times in the past, but it seemed to start off to slow only going 3x a week.
                      Just realize that the days of rest in between are part of the training! One day you are running, and your muscles get exhausted, and even micro-injuries occure. The next day is a rest day, you recover, and eventually your body will kind of overcompensated, and your muscles get reinforced. Skip those rest days, and in the long run the result will be worse... If you need to keep the momentum by exercising every day, you could do some cross-training (bike, swimming...) or strength training on those alternate days...

Running in Belgium
                      Ann

oujenna

Awesome! How long are your runs together? I really think I might join that! Could you email me the details? jliston@community-partners.com
                          Awesome! How long are your runs together? I really think I might join that! Could you email me the details? jliston@community-partners.com
                          I sent the information. I hope to see you there!

Feeling the growl again

I want to stress what has already been said -- ONLY COMPETE WITH YOURSELF FOR NOW. It is NOT constructive to compare yourself to others, some of whom may have been running a lot longer than you. Measure yourself against your own goals, not others. Back in the day I was pretty fast. But if you were to look at my race log you would see that I rarely won races. This was because I was extraordinarily competitive....to be the best that I could be. This meant I did not run many races that were not going to challenge me. People don't push you from behind, but they pull you from in front. So I'd always enter large, fast races with good competition to pull me to a fast time (and, most often, prevent me from winning).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hawt and sexy

Steamtown is large? Or was it the downhill idea? If so, why not Boston? You know you can also tell me to shove it Andy. Big grin

I'm touching your pants.