Pulled Calf Muscle (Read 197 times)

ckerr1999

I pulled my a muscle in my right calf when I was running this week. Just wondering if I should be icing it or applying heat? Thanks

Ice.

And compression worked wonders for me. Not just sleeves, but an actual calf compression brace from the drugstore with adjustable velcro closures.

ckerr1999

Thank you.

I pulled my a muscle in my right calf when I was running this week. Just wondering if I should be icing it or applying heat? Thanks

You first follow the principles of RICE = Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  When you pull muscles, there's bleeding and swelling in there (assuming it IS a muscle pull).  First thing you need to do is to stop bleeding and ease the swelling.  Icing would do that.  So does compression.  And you try to elevate the injured area above your heart so the blood won't pool (not all the time, of course, which is impossible unless you can afford to lie around all day doing nothing!).  You want to do this at least the first 3 days, sometimes up to a week depending on the degree of injury.  And THEN you may want to apply heat.  By then, there will be blood clotting and bruising in the area.  You want to break it down and flush it back to the heart to get rid of it.  So now it's time for gentle massaging and heat to break down the scar tissues, break down blood clotting and increase the circulation around the area to remove all those waste products.  Ideally, you want to apply heat--then massage--then ice the area to sooth the activities.  Repeat this process a couple of times a day.  Makes sense?

ckerr1999

Thanks. I was limping a little after my run yesterday. But walking much better today. Hoping to be able to run tomorrow night or Tuesday night. I have a bad habit of running flat footed. So trying to train myself to run heel to toe. Think that might have led to me pulling the muscle. Will continue to apply ice today.