pulled hamstring and red pee (Read 1662 times)

Pee in the blood is something you should get checked out by a doctor, because it can be a symptom of various serious conditions.

However, it is  quite common for runners to get this as a result of some minor damage to the bladder wall whilst running (especially with an empty bladder) so don't be unduly concerned - chances are that this is what's going on if you noticed it just after a run. If this is the situation it should clear up quickly. (But in any case go see a doctor.)

northernman

Fight The Future

Renal cell carcinoma is not urgent.

Transitional cell bladder carcinoma is not urgent.

Nephritic syndrome can be urgent.

Acute interstitial nephritis can be urgent.

All of these can be life-threatening.  And all of them, believe it or not, occur in runners.

Personally, I would be more worried about these than a pulled hamstring.  But that's just me.

Yes, thanks all for the concern.

I am a physician also, and already know the Ddx, as well.

You may remember "run to a code, walk to a seizure". I think post-exercise hematuria does not even justify a "walk", and certainly not a Sunday visit to the ER, where I'd get a $200 UA, and a $300 physical from a resident, who would get a flat plate (worthless), and schedule a follow up with a family practitioner.

So I think it's worth keeping an eye on it (if you can keep your eye on P), but really not urgent. It's not like the Hospital shows, where they do chemotherapy in the ER.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Doctor, don't heal thyself. Find another doctor to do it. Smile

I did not suggest you go to the ED.  However, I might humbly suggest that you not be your own doctor.  I know I deserve a smart doctor, which is why I don't try to treat myself.  And, as you know, you cannot see microscopic hematuria.

And yeah, just because there may be a simple explanation does not mean a life-threatening condition does not exist.   

And this.  If we are pulling out adages, "A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client".

Remember, when you put health information out on the internet, especially when you identify yourself as a doctor, people with similar issues will take the advice you unintentionally give.  If you minimize your symptoms or likelihood of serious disease, somebody else may too.  And as a consequence, they may decide not to see a healthcare provider ("oh, this is just runners' hematuria", "oh, this is just indigestion") and thus miss a serious disease.

Menace to Sobriety

I thought the pee bone WAS connected to the hamstring bone.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

ymmv

I thought the pee bone WAS connected to the hamstring bone.

that would be extraordinarily bad aim
            northernman

Fight The Future

Hmm, well the pee is all well and good. I agree with Trent about not doctoring oneself, and so went in for the multi-thousand dollar work up. All negative, including CT urogram (with 3d reconstruction! WTF!).

Back to the original complaint, though. I still get cramping pain in the left hamstring muscle. It went away for a week or two, but then I think I re-tweaked it by running again in hot weather. Now, it is fine if I run slow, but as soon as I pick up the pace, it starts to hurt. I've had occasional mild tendonitis type injuries in the past (ITBS, etc) that pretty quickly went away with strengthening exercises. This feels very different, though, since it is definitely in the muscle, and not in the tendons. It feels like when I take a bigger or faster step the biceps gets overly stretched, cramps up, and then starts to injure (itself?). I don't do any stretching at all, but I'm wondering if this is a case where it might help? Otherwise, I guess I can just run slow for a few more weeks and see what happens. Of course, I'm 4 weeks out from a marathon, so bad timing, as usual.

Why is it sideways?

Beets.

"run" "2" "eat"

red pee at morning, sailors take warning.

red pee at night, sailors delight.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

sluggo

John

Beets.

I gotta say - those look delicious! Hope you enjoyed them!

I have some yellow beets in my garden. My wife and I have eaten a few. Yummy.

But, I guess I have digressed from the thread. Does anyone else ever do that?

John
                    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

dennrunner

But, I guess I have digressed from the thread. Does anyone else ever do that?

No, man. No. Never.

Hmm, well the pee is all well and good. I agree with Trent about not doctoring oneself, and so went in for the multi-thousand dollar work up. All negative, including CT urogram (with 3d reconstruction! WTF!).

Back to the original complaint, though. I still get cramping pain in the left hamstring muscle. It went away for a week or two, but then I think I re-tweaked it by running again in hot weather. Now, it is fine if I run slow, but as soon as I pick up the pace, it starts to hurt. I've had occasional mild tendonitis type injuries in the past (ITBS, etc) that pretty quickly went away with strengthening exercises. This feels very different, though, since it is definitely in the muscle, and not in the tendons. It feels like when I take a bigger or faster step the biceps gets overly stretched, cramps up, and then starts to injure (itself?). I don't do any stretching at all, but I'm wondering if this is a case where it might help? Otherwise, I guess I can just run slow for a few more weeks and see what happens. Of course, I'm 4 weeks out from a marathon, so bad timing, as usual.

There have been a number of threads on hamstring injuries and what seems common in the advice given is that speed makes it worse and that stretching (at this point) is not likely to be helpful. A few years ago, I had similar hamstring pain, I'd run slow for a while, and then test it with some speed or a race. I was dumb enough to repeat this cycle for 3 or 4 months. Deep (ouch) massage finally loosened up a "knot" that I could feel in there, and it went away and hasn't bothered me since.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

There have been a number of threads on hamstring injuries and what seems common in the advice given is that speed makes it worse and that stretching (at this point) is not likely to be helpful. A few years ago, I had similar hamstring pain, I'd run slow for a while, and then test it with some speed or a race. I was dumb enough to repeat this cycle for 3 or 4 months. Deep (ouch) massage finally loosened up a "knot" that I could feel in there, and it went away and hasn't bothered me since.

Yup, the pain is a sign that you've been running too hard.  It's not hydration, it's the fact that you're outrunning your fitness.