*wailing.....* (Read 723 times)

shyrunner07

ever do one of those moves that is so incredibly stupid, you wish you could just permanently kick yourself? I made one of them last night....minor in the grand scheme of things, collasally huge in my little world.... I was attempting to free up some space on my computer...it's still fairly new and isn't hurting for space (yet), but i wanted to keep one step ahead (with my last 'puter, i was forever having to go through and delete this or that in order to free up some room to work...). So far, all i've added has been some tunes- now that i have my ipod, there's no need to keep that stuff on the computer...so, yesterday, i made good use of the Delete and Recycle Trash Can keys.... forward a few more hours into the evening when I stumble upon my horrific discovery...My vast empire of tunes is GONE GONE GONE. absolutely nothing remains on the ipod but for some podcast subscriptions and some purchased games. Everything else...my heart and soul is no more. Now, not only do i have to reload all the cds, but i'm also pulling my hair out trying to remember all the obscure songs, etc that i purchased/snagged online. Most *shouldn't* be too hard to find but some stuff....like the collection of Celebrity Jeopardy SNL skits...the old cosby stuff....aack, all the gangsta rap.... ugh, this is driving me nuts. Tongue
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, no! My worst nightmare...you're living it! Oh, Andrea, that is utterly tragic. That reminds me I should really backup all of my iTunes onto DVD or something... Sad k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Can't help with the things you "snagged", but you can try for some love from Apple. I've heard that sometimes will restore lost music (let you download again). Also, you can also try to find a Windows Undelete/ data recovery utility. Everything (even emptied trash) is still on your hard drive until it gets overwritten with something else. (which means you should to use your computer as little as possible until you've recovered your data). here's a well-know data recovery tool. a few others (these appear to be Visa-compatible -- are you running Vista?): here here I haven't used any of these. Hopefully some Windows users out there have some ideas? Oh one other thing. Let's say you do buy a recovery utility. You should probably go out and get an external hard drive (you can usually get 'em at relatively good prices at Sam's or Costco.) Of course in the future, you'd use said drive to backup your data. But I'm talking right now -- depending on the size of your current hard drive, the amount of free space on it, and how much data you hope to recover, you may not be able to recover the deleted data directly to the original hard drive (i.e recover it to the external drive, then copy it back to your main HD). Good Luck, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

That is my biggest (computer releated) nightmare. I hope you manage to recover all your stuff. If you're the kind that enjoys company, here's something that dwarfs your pain: The Associated Press Tucson, Arizona | Published: 03.21.2007 JUNEAU, Alaska — Perhaps you know that sinking feeling when a single keystroke accidentally destroys hours of work. Now imagine wiping out a disk drive containing information for an account worth $38 billion. That's what happened to a computer technician reformatting a disk drive at the Alaska Department of Revenue. While doing routine maintenance work, the technician accidentally deleted applicant information for an oil-funded account — one of Alaska residents' biggest perks — and mistakenly reformatted the backup drive, as well. There was still hope, until the department discovered its third line of defense, backup tapes, were unreadable. "Nobody panicked, but we instantly went into planning for the worst-case scenario," said Permanent Fund Dividend Division Director Amy Skow. The July computer foul-up, which wiped out dividend distribution information for the fund, would end up costing the department more than $200,000. Over the next few days, as the department, the division and consultants from Microsoft Corp. and Dell Inc. labored to retrieve the data, it became obvious the worst-case scenario was at hand. Nine months worth of applicant information for the yearly payout from the Alaska Permanent Fund was gone: some 800,000 electronic images that had been painstakingly scanned into the system months earlier, the 2006 paper applications that people had either mailed or filed over the counter, and supporting documentation such as birth certificates and proof of residence. And the only backup was the paperwork itself — stored in more than 300 cardboard boxes. "We had to bring that paper back to the scanning room, and send it through again, and quality control it, and then you have to have a way to link that paper to that person's file," Skow said. Half a dozen seasonal workers came back to assist the regular division staff, and about 70 people working overtime and weekends re-entered all the lost data by the end of August.
            At work a few years ago we have a major issue with computers. I learned the hard way just how important it is to backup data ALL THE TIME. I ended up spending hours re-entering information needed. Nothing recently though *whew*. So, I feel for you, it's frustrating!!

Michelle

shyrunner07

thanks guys! hubby has been laughing at my pain all weekend long...of all the things in the world to get worked up over, this is where I choose to shed my tears! What can i say though- music is a huge love of mine. It's the soundtrack for my ever shifting moods...it's an audio scrapbook- nearly every song is tagged with a memory.../cheesy thanks for the recovery links Jeff! one of them seemed a little steep in price, but the 2nd one I will have to check out some more- i think it was only $20 or so. That's not too bad. One slight bright side is that since 99.9% of this stuff was never paid for, at least it's not like watching $2000+ go down the tubes. Now i'm just paranoid that the feds are gonna come beating down my door! Tongue The thing that aggravates me to no end....I could understand how this would have happened, if it had been a case of not actually having the files on the ipod...if i'd deleted everything before uploading to "blackie", that would totally make sense as to why it's all gone. But i made sure, before hitting Delete, and again before recycling the trash can, that all the songs were on the ipod. So if it was there, why would the ipod suddenly become empty during my "cleaning jag"? grr. some folks just aren't cut out for technology. Blush
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The thing that aggravates me to no end....I could understand how this would have happened, if it had been a case of not actually having the files on the ipod...if i'd deleted everything before uploading to "blackie", that would totally make sense as to why it's all gone. But i made sure, before hitting Delete, and again before recycling the trash can, that all the songs were on the ipod. So if it was there, why would the ipod suddenly become empty during my "cleaning jag"? grr.
                Okay, so when you connect your iPod and iTunes opens up, the iPod synchronizes with iTunes. Which means that when you deleted the files from the computer, they were automatically deleted from the iPod the next time you connected it (to keep the iPod in sync with the computer). To my knowledge, the way to avoid this occurring is to check the box on the iTunes sync screen that says "Manually Manage Music." (And I'm not 100% sure about that). HOWEVER, to keep your songs on your iPod and not on your computer is still not a good idea, even if you don't accidentally delete everything. If you lose your iPod, or if it gets damaged or stolen, you're SOL. I'd still recommend getting an external hard drive if you're that cramped for space. Money spent on backup storage is money well spent. If you're going to try to recover the data, do it ASAP. As you continue to use your computer, the deleted files still residing on your hard drive will get overwritten and become unusable. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd still recommend getting an external hard drive if you're that cramped for space. Money spent on backup storage is money well spent.
                  Yeah, plus they are dirt cheap nowadays!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay