Commuting by run? (Read 108 times)

keeponrunning

I know some of you on here run to work.  In the fall, I'll be living about 14km away from the university where I'm taking my graduate program, so I'm thinking of some days running one way and taking the bus the other.  How do you carry things like a change of clothes?  Are there backpacks made that don't bounce or chafe?  (I'd probably take the bus to school and run home so that I wouldn't have to worry about showering).

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Joann Y

Deuter Speed Lite 10. I've had it for a number of years and have used it run commuting (not much anymore since I got a car) or when I need to carry stuff with me while running (like today). It will chafe if I wear it with certain shirts that are loose around the neck or sometimes with sleeveless tops but it is small enough and straps tight enough to not bounce at all. As far as commuting sometimes I would just bring the work clothes home at the end of the week or roll them up into the pack and carry them. Running clothes and shoes fit in there as well as a small wallet or just rubber band your money, ID, credit card, and bus pass to minimize what you have to carry. A small jacket can also be stuffed in there. Eventually you'll forget something like socks or whatever but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't always work out. It's fun. You can literally run errands on the way home if need be. Good luck.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Monday: take the bus to work with 4 shirts, 4 underware, 1 slacks, 4 socks, 2-ties, 1 pair of shoes + running gear

Run home

Tuesday-Friday run to work

Friday: bring all dirty stuff home on bus

I'd keep a reserve outfit at work, just in case you muff it on Monday.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Joann Y

I should add that in the end, running home was easier than running to work. There is the showering (or not showering) and the sweaty hair to deal with etc if you run to work. And then you don't have to worry about forgetting work shoes or something.

keeponrunning

How much space do you find you need?  I see them ranging anywhere from 2 litres to 30 litres.  I would be doing this in the winter so some of the clothes are thicker.

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Joann Y

How much space do you find you need?  I see them ranging anywhere from 2 litres to 30 litres.  I would be doing this in the winter so some of the clothes are thicker.

The one I have is 10L. This is small but workable depending on how much stuff you think you need. In winter, wear work clothes to work with running gear in the pack for on the way home. Hat, gloves, tights, long sleeves, shoes whatever. It can be crammed in. A down jacket can also be crammed in there. Hopefully you aren't carrying large books back and forth. If you don't have a jacket in there, a small book and a small umbrella will fit in there with the other stuff. I wouldn't get anything smaller.

keeponrunning

The one I have is 10L. This is small but workable depending on how much stuff you think you need. In winter, wear work clothes to work with running gear in the pack for on the way home. Hat, gloves, tights, long sleeves, shoes whatever. It can be crammed in. A down jacket can also be crammed in there. Hopefully you aren't carrying large books back and forth. If you don't have a jacket in there, a small book and a small umbrella will fit in there with the other stuff. I wouldn't get anything smaller.

Ya, days where I need my laptop or really large books are out.  I'm not sure what my schedule will be like yet as I don't choose courses til late August or early September.  There's a place in the city I'm moving to that carries a few different designs so I might stop by there next time I'm up.  I'm hoping to not spend more than $90 on one.

kcam

I should add that in the end, running home was easier than running to work. There is the showering (or not showering) and the sweaty hair to deal with etc if you run to work. And then you don't have to worry about forgetting work shoes or something.

This is true for me as I have never run TO work but have run home many times.   My commute is longer than yours (13 miles one-way) so there's all that Joann mentioned plus having to get up way, way too early.  Another factor for me is that commute traffic is non-existent on my morning commute while my evening commute home is worse than the mornings.  I leave my car at work and then bike in to work the next morning.