Your running cycle... (Read 937 times)

How many days does your running cycle go? Do you repeat work outs ever 7 days? Almost all training plans I have found are based off 7 day running weeks. I find I work great off 10 day cycles. If I get two challenging workouts in a cycle I prefer to give myself up to two weeks to recover compeltly. The only problem is that all the software and all the logs are based off 7 days so record keeping can be challenging Who here runs off a 7 day cycle and who uses something else?
    jeffdonahue

Whatever my coach gives me but it is based off a 7 day cycle. I think the 7 day cycle is just easier for people since you can always have your long run on a weekend, I know I couldnt do a 15 mile run before work and still function properly that day.

The Greatest of All Time

7 day. M-Th Doubles (90 minutes total) F-Off Sa: LR Su: Recovery Run Of course it's adjusted for races.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          I run on 7, but I've got some workouts that I do once every two weeks, or even less often. When I first started running I ran on a 4 day cycle. Short Fast, Long, Short Slow, day off.
            I work off a 7 day but if I didn't have a job I would think very seriously about 10. If 10-day cycles fit your schedule and you like them I'd say go for it.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Seven day cycle for me. Long run Sundays, a quality workout (tempo or intervals) mid week - Tue or Wed or Thu, Fiday 8 X 100m striders, and all other days slow/recovery pace.

I usually plan workouts 7 to 14 days in advance, but what one week looks like may not have much bearing on what the next week looks like. Then again, it may.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Over the past few years, I've used anything from 6 days to about 3-wk microcycles. 7 days doesn't work for me. I'm retired now, so I don't have to make it work.Wink I've tended to run every other day (few years ago) or 2 on / 1 off for the last 1.5 yrs, so I might use something like a 9- to 12-day cycle, perhaps an 18 to 21-day cycle, depending upon how one counts and what snow conditions are like so I can get desired long runs in (which need to get to 8+ hrs, training for ultra). In each 3 day cluster, one run is usually harder (long / intermediate, hills, faster, higher effort, whatever), one easy, one "off". The long/intermediate runs are usually every 9-10 days - at least that's what I'm aiming for, but might end up at 12 days, if I need the recovery. The others are highly variable depending on trail conditions and what my body feels ready for. And if it's not ready for another key workout, we run easy until it is, which is likely the next day. But that usually gives me a long/intermediate run and 2 key workouts in a 9-day period. "Off" might be nothing or it might be 4-5 hrs of trail building work or hiking in the summer or xc skiing in winter. This flexibility allows me to be able to do activities with local clubs which might be Sat or Sun, and their easy to work around. The plan might change seasonally. I also adapt to weather. For instance, earlier this week, I was planning on off, easy, steps but saw a snowstorm forecast for the steps day, so switched with the prior day and did off, steps (mostly dry, ice-free), easy (in the snow). I "think" this is reasonably sustainable for me, but won't know for sure until snow conditions improve, and I can run what I would consider my normal runs rather than adapting for snow. Last year I struggled with it, but I've had a year at this level now, and recovery times are coming down. While I started with a canned running plan, it didn't work for me because of summer field season, running in snow, foot / ankle issues, getting interested in trails, and eventually in ultras. So I've been working off my own designs for about 6 yrs - adapting as needed to keep it fun, challenge my 60yo body without breaking it, allowing for rest-of-life activities. In my case, I find I can maintain the quality of my runs better if I have 2 less intense days between key runs, which typically involve hills. I can run 3 or 4 in a row if I need to for rest-of-life issues or the trails are too icy to get a decent run in, so run more shorter runs. 7 days just isn't a multiple of anything except 1 and 7, so I've always found it awkward. As for logs, I designed my own in Access since I didn't see anything around that did what I wanted. I have queries where I input the number of days, so I can see rolling 3-, 7-, 10, 28, whatever day totals of what my running looks like. FWIW, I believe I've seen 9-10 days proposed for microcycles in several cases. I believe Hanson's uses a 9-day cycle with SOS workouts every 3rd day. Seven days just may not be long enough for the desired workouts. PS: I should add, that I "plan" my approach counting back months from key race, then have loose goals for an approximate month, just to keep me on track. If I don't hit a certain distance long run until the first week of the next month, not a big deal in winter. But as I get closer to races, I start focusing the workouts more and being sure I get certain things in since there's less margin for error then.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  mikeymike

Unless you don't have a job, school, or kids in school or you have some kind of really flexible schedule it's tough to ignore the 7 day week. I plan my running a week at a time. That's not so say I do two hard workouts every week.

Runners run

Hannibal Granite

As many have already said 7-day cycles tend to work out best for most people b/c of the work and or school week schedule. If you feel you can't recover fast enough t get in the desired workouts you could always stretch it out to a 14-day microcycle. I was very fortunate at a previous job that we worked 4 days on 2 days off so I had a 6-day cycle, which worked very well for me I had 1-hard interval workout each 6-day period and alternated a long run (20 miles +) with a long tempo run on days 6 and 12, which I guess you could say made it a 12-day cycle, but the only difference was the last day.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I'm currently switching to a 10-day cycle. It seems to work really well for marathon training, with the long runs....7 days in between the 20+ mile runs is too short, 14 days is a little long, and 10 seems just right. With the usual caveats regarding how to fit it into the 7-day workweek!
                          I once was doing 9 day cycles and liked it. I could fit one long run two tempos and a hill workout and fill in with rest or easy days. Right now, I'm back to seven days because I've added swimming and spinning with the local tri club. - R