Work-Shoes? Predicament, Need Advice (Read 577 times)

I work at a clothing distributor, and I'm what's called a picker. I scan boxes and get a bin location which I hurriedly race off to, either sprint-walking, jogging or just plain running. I have to take off down a walkway and cut sharply,left or right, down the dest. isle. The floors are concrete of course, and I stay at this 8 hours, plus, cutting, dodging and weaving, coming to abrupt stops and starts. I'm trying to reduce the chance of injuries from my regular running routine, and I'm worried about this eXtra stress. My feet hurt, balls and heals feel like I've stepped on a rock.[moderate pain] I currently wear Nike Shox, worn but not worn-out. But I believe I need some extremely good shoes to protect my feet and knees. I need your suggestions. I'm 5'9, 165, and neutral, mod. to high arch and move like a spider-monkey. Do I need something for stability with the basketball type movements I'm making? Thanks in advance, Ricky Blush

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

You hit on what I was thinking when I read your post - basketball shoes! The quick side to side movements need some serious ankle support. Just make sure they're good and cushioned. Another idea might be trail running shoes - they're made for ankle support to guard against twists from rocks and roots. Might be another thought....
      1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
        Come on people, how about some suggestions?? I need to buy some shoes this weekend before work on Monday? Thanks

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Wingz

Professional Noob

The only thing I can offer is the reminder to put extra cushiony insoles in those shoes, since you're on your feet on concrete all day... Black eye modified to add: by the way, the picture on your profile's not showing up right... so I've not been able to update your Virtual race profile with it.

Roads were made for journeys...

Hiking shoes? They now make light-weight "boots" which are amazingly light, and dont come up past your ankles (hence shoes and not boots) and provide more ankle support than regular shoes. And from experience, they are really easy to break-in. (My hiking boots died on me 36 hours before I left the country for a vacation which included some day-hikes and a 4-day trek. Ick!)