MapMyRun vs. RunKeeper (Read 348 times)

EpicErin

Epic Runner

I've been using these two apps simultaneously, and they both record VERY different times and distances. Has anyone ever noted the differences between these two apps? If so, which one is more accurate? I'm inclined to say MapMyRun because it's built for mapping and I don't know that RunKeeper tracks the inclines properly.

Here is the RunKeeper map: http://runkeeper.com/user/820397666/activity/174920467?&tripIdBase36=2w55hv

Here is the MapMyRun map: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/201874570

There's a difference of .04 miles and a time difference of 3 MINUTES! I started recording within maybe 5 seconds of each other.

Any thoughts? Smile

Do Epic Runs

http://www.doepicruns.com/

EpicErin

Epic Runner

Sorry this posted twice!

Do Epic Runs

Tried  Runkeeper a couple of times just to see how good it is and gives me a different distance on different days.  So yes, I think mapmyrun could be more precise, though both may be equally inaccurateSmile

CSP

I've been using runkeeper and it tracks with my non-gps polar's stride sensor almost exactly which was set up using a track and tested a few times using methods other than gps.  But, if I check runkeeper results against google maps, it's usually off (I've heard google mapping isn't terribly accurate for distances either--plus you can't trace your exact route.)  It does have an "auto-pause" feature that will pause the mapping if you stop (or if it thinks you've stopped) which may be the time difference?  I don't know if mapmyrun has anything similar.

I haven't compared altitude between runkeeeper and the polar though--I have all the data just need to get the motivation to go back and wade through it.

I'd be curious what you find out (subscribing to this post)

EpicErin

Epic Runner

@CSP - MapMyRun does have the auto-pause which is why I'm confused...although I didn't stop on either of these runs. I may have slowed down and walked but my total time in motion should be the same. So weird!

So maybe RunKeeper is more accurate with true GPS and MapMyRun is truer to Google Maps? I'll keep investigating. I'm planning on running the same exact route twice and using only one app at a time, stopping and starting it at exactly the same point. I can't afford a Garmin or anything fancy right now so until I get one I'll have to make do.

Do Epic Runs

AliasInc

Any luck yet on figuring this out?  I'm trying to compare the two apps as well, and haven't yet been able to account for the differences.  Further frustrating the issue is that I sometimes record my run with the Zombies, Run! app and MapMyRun, then upload from Zombies to RunKeeper, at which point RunKeeper logs the run with different times and distances from either MapMyRun or Zombies. What the....? Ay, caramba. Roll eyes

an amazing likeness

The difference in distance is miniscule...211 feet over ~3 miles...what's that..something like 1% or so. I assume that this is coming from a smartphone GPS track as well, so it's got some noise in it. Since each application has to take in the GPS track and add them up, do some number crunching to get the total distance...you're just seeing the difference between two software groups in how they sum GPS track points.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kcam

The difference in distance is miniscule...211 feet over ~3 miles...what's that..something like 1% or so. I assume that this is coming from a smartphone GPS track as well, so it's got some noise in it. Since each application has to take in the GPS track and add them up, do some number crunching to get the total distance...you're just seeing the difference between two software groups in how they sum GPS track points.

Yes, I think this is right.  I feel that in all likelihood the Garmin 'software group' (and the algorithms they have developed over the years) must be far, far more advanced than Runkeeper.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't really know anything about this, but if Erin is using two apps simultaneously, they could be vying for the GPS data and getting different sets of points; whatever the phone has ready when the app calls for it.

Dan74

I've been using runkeeper along with a Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS watch, since I didn't have a bluetooth equipped chest strap yet for HR monitoring with the iPhone app alone, and I've been amazed at how closely aligned the distance, time, and even calories burned results are between the two.  The elevation may be off, but I don't really pay attention to that.

xhristopher

Why stop at two? Fire up the Strava app too for good measure.

slowbutsteady31

I use MapMyRun and I love it, I haven't tried other apps but I'm glad to know I have been using a good one.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(The issue is entirely with the time, not the distance, judging by OP's post -- some responses above seem to be talking about distance issues.)

Can you look at both maps and move your cursor through them and see if there is a missing 3 minutes (or extra 3 minutes) in one of them?

I think you (the owner of the maps) can see more map data than we the general public can see.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

an amazing likeness

This is an internet forum...how DARE you bring careful reading for content and reasoned understanding to a topic.  How. Dare. You. Outrageous.

(The issue is entirely with the time, not the distance, judging by OP's post -- some responses above seem to be talking about distance issues.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Check for auto pausing and research to see if one of the apps calculates pauses behind the scenes.

Typically a difference in GPS is just algorithm differences in the coding.  However, differences in time means one is pausing while the other is not.

A year ago or so, I was comparing both Runkeeper and iSmoothrun and I found that RK was doing a horrible job at calculating pauses in the workout. This occurred regardless of autopause (ie: some odd behind the scenes calcs were screwed).  They eventually got everything working pretty well.