Marathon training and expecting child (Read 991 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In the end talk to your doctor about it.....don't just listen to some guy off the internet.
    Good advice, all around Smile
    grateful runner

This advice is coming from a parent of 3 under 3...and all came while I was in grad school full time. Your wife is having another baby and the responsibilities of parenthood have frozen your life like a wolly mammoth in the tundra.. Dude, you need to run to stay sane. Take care of everyone and keep them happy. Besides, its a whole lot easier to do the 5am runs when you get up at 4 to do a bottle Wink
      2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good advice, all around Smile
        (By which I meant any yahoo, including me)
          I didn't read all of the responses, so forgive me if I am just re-hashing... My wife gave birth November 23, 2007 to my 3rd child - my other kids are 8 and 6. I just did the Myrtle Beach marathon in February and I plan to continue my running addiction. It does create some challenges having the baby in the house. I do the majority of my weekday runs during my lunch hour (or hour and a half most times) so that really doesn't directly impact my family time. My long runs usually take place early Satruday morning, thus minimizing the time I am away when the older kids are awake. The biggest difference between me having little ones in the house versus people who don't....they get to lay around the house after a hard 20 mile training run. I have too much to do afterwards so there is no resting for me. It can definately be done, but it takes a spouse who understands how important running/training is to you. It also takes the runner understanding that he/she has to minimize the other times they are "away" from the family. For example, I have pretty much given up golf (my other addiction) and rarely get together with the guys for poker anymore. I use up all my "me" time running. I think it also helps in my situation that I do a lot of the housework, etc. already so she realizes that I have not foresaken the family for the sake of marathoning. She knows how important running and also training for races is to me. I am a much happier, laid back, etc. person when I am in the middle of training.

Double IPA Please!

I am the wife and we have 3 children- 10,7 and 5. Of course this is a non issue for us. However, my husband is an avid golfer and when they were much younger I knew how important his golfing was to him. I also knew that happy husband/wife make for a happier home life (within REASON- I'm no pushover-lol). Children are not the end all be all in a marriage. Sure you miss your normal sleeping patterns that you had prior to them and sure life is different, but it certainly is not the death of who you are as a person. I don't know why so many people struggle with stuff like this. You need to communicate with your spouse/significant other and let them know your feelings and allow them to do the same. There are always going to be pros and cons and you need to carefully weigh them both. Once you make a decision based on your discussions, I think it then becomes very important to stick to the decision you both made as a couple and NEVER use it against the person i.e.."Remember that time when so and so was born and I was so exhausted and you still trained for the marathon, played that round of golf" etc...once a decision is made that is the final word. You have to find lifes balances and learn to live within them. When you chose to marry that someone you knew beforehand what their passions/hobbies were in their lives, why try and change that once you sign the paperwork? I also don't like to see all this trying to get an infant to sleep longer crap out there. Infants that young were not made to be put on a schedule. I agree to everything Trent said. Those first few months are tough sure, but it won't be like that forever and believe or not it will all become a distant memory. I breastfed all my children with my youngest nursing until he was 2 (yes, I had nightmares of him still nursing in elementary school Big grin) so sleeping through the night never reallly happened for us until 6 months or so, but then again, not really an issue as we did the co-sleep thing as well (in that time period). The bottom line is all infants are different, but regardless of whether you choose to nurse or formula feed, let them keep their own schedule in those very early weeks..quit focusing so much on trying to schedule them or make them sleep longer strethces. I can understand how your wife may feel, but it worries me a tad that she is not just a little more supportive in something that you like to do. It sounds as if you both need to have a serious sit down discussion. Dont wait until the last minute to do it, otherwise it becomes easier to add to much pressure to the situation. Do it now while she still feels somewhat human and not down the road when she feels like a bloated hormonal mess Wink

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Maniac

How did we start talking about rice cereal? Anyway...To resolve some issues discussed on here..... 1) This is child #2, so we are aware of how much time and energy is involved (at least somewhat...Makenzie (daughter) slept about 6-8 hours at a stretch as early as 6 weeks of age...We were very lucky). No, we did not add any rice cereal or anything...It was just formula. 2) My wife is supportive of my running in the sense that she doesn't give me grief about it and is willing to be flexible. However, she has clearly said (as she should) that my running will not be an excuse to get out of helping with the child. In other words, I can't roll over when the baby cries and say: "I know it is my turn to get up, but I'm so tired because I ran 20 miles". 3) I have no intention of quitting my running habit/addiction/hobby...However, I didn't know if training for a marathon was the smartest move at this point in our "life cycle".

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

I also don't like to see all this trying to get an infant to sleep longer crap out there. Infants that young were not made to be put on a schedule. I agree to everything Trent said. Those first few months are tough sure, but it won't be like that forever and believe or not it will all become a distant memory. I breastfed all my children with my youngest nursing until he was 2 (yes, I had nightmares of him still nursing in elementary school Big grin) so sleeping through the night never reallly happened for us until 6 months or so, but then again, not really an issue as we did the co-sleep thing as well (in that time period). The bottom line is all infants are different, but regardless of whether you choose to nurse or formula feed, let them keep their own schedule in those very early weeks..quit focusing so much on trying to schedule them or make them sleep longer strethces.
                Thats a matter of opinion. I am a firm believer in developing a schedule and routine. I feel it's healthy for both the parent and infants alike. I think from day one you have to establish a routine. I think people make it harder thann it has to be.
                PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

Double IPA Please!

Let's just agree to disagree. Big grin That is a whole nuther' thread and board topic (which probably has no business in a General Running Forum anyhow ) in and of itself. I digressed in my answer to the OP anyhow Wink

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Bugs

Just a reminder, also very important your wife get some exercise time after baby is born, and she can do so safely.

Bugs