running shorts with pockets (Read 1845 times)

sincerely silly

This question is more for the ladies...so I stumbled across SparkleTech...they sell running skorts (and also just the shorts and just coverups) which I'd normally find kind of silly, except the built in pockets actually seem really useful.  At least this review makes it seems so.  I'd especially be interested in just the shorts.

I don't really want to get into a running skirt fight...I think I saw a thread on it once. :-) Though I have run in a tennis skort before since it's the only thing I owned with spandex shorts to deal with chafing...

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this "SparkleTech" or have other suggestions for shorts or other apparel with nice secure built in pockets.  Also being a novice runner and an otherwise raised-frugal person, I have no idea if these prices are fair if the shorts are as high quality as they claim. 

Right now I run with a little hip pack, but it'd be nice to go without...especially since it sometimes interacts unflatteringly with my not-flat stomach... 

shin splints are my nemesis

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pearl Izumi makes (well, made...these shorts no longer appear to have leg-grippers, so I doubt I'd like the current version as well.  The grippers keep the leg bands from creeping up, which all compression shorts seem to do on me) a short with a really big mesh zip pocket at the small of the back.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SkirtSports www.skirtsports.com puts the ipod pocket on the side of the compression type shorts.  Very functional. I've yet to find many other companies that do this.    They're pretty pricey  though.  Target makes a running skirt with a hidden key/ pocket in the waistband in the back.  This is quite a good design for my anatomy as I think of it as compression shorts with CYA skirt to boot.  Ha.  You'll have to experiment as all compression shorts are not made alike.  It seems like the hidden pockets are usually found on the longer designs like running capris (e.g. adidas).  A lot of the less expensive compression shorts seem pretty minimal with no pockets and such.  Guess you get what you pay for...

ymmv

the mizuno mustang shorts have a zippered pocket on one side.

RunningWarehouse.com organizes their women's shorts pretty well.  You can surf through there and see in one click if anything in your desired style has pockets.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Are you looking at just compression shorts or any shorts?

There's RaceReadys of course, which are just crazy with pockets - I heard them called "snack-ass shorts" once, which is pretty awesome. They're ugly, but I love them when I need to carry multiple items.

Craft also makes a less ugly pair of shorts with a small zipper pocket it in the back that I also like.

Someday I'm just going to get rid of all my shorts that don't have pockets. I rarely go on runs without cash or a credit card and my phone.

sincerely silly

Are you looking at just compression shorts or any shorts?

There's RaceReadys of course, which are just crazy with pockets - I heard them called "snack-ass shorts" once, which is pretty awesome. They're ugly, but I love them when I need to carry multiple items.

Craft also makes a less ugly pair of shorts with a small zipper pocket it in the back that I also like.

Someday I'm just going to get rid of all my shorts that don't have pockets. I rarely go on runs without cash or a credit card and my phone.

I guess it'd be a case to case basis.  I don't want too much bouncing around but I guess they don't have to be compression shorts.

I LOL-ed when I saw what the "snack-ass shorts" looked like.  Good name.  Haha.  I guess they're not any worse than the pouch I carry!  They look functional. 

Since I grew up playing tennis, I always found athletic shorts without pockets at all to be completely useless.  Though I do have some without and even one pair that I sewed up the pockets of -- some bball and soccer leagues don't let you have pockets!  Some...risk...of something?  Accidentally hooking on something and getting pulled down?  Concealing weapons?  I don't know. :-)

Thanks for pointing out that RunningWarehouse sorts their shorts well...haha also I see the briefs I hated so much in track in high school!  Though I guess your self consciousness goes away when 100 other girls are also showing it all...

How big do the pockets need to be? What are you carrying? For keys, cash, etc. I use a Banjee Wrist Wallet when I am wearing something w/o pockets.

If I'm wearing a folded up Buff as a headband I tuck my key into the folds.

Scout7

How much cargo capacity do you need?  What are you carrying with you?

sincerely silly

Ideally I'd be able to carry my phone (for GPS), ID and credit card/cash, and my keys.  I have a shoe pouch I can fit my keys into to prevent any scratching in another pocket. 

My phone is about 2.5" x 5" though which seems to preclude all of these 3"x4" pockets i've been seeing!

Scout7

I'd suggest a separate carrier for the phone, then.  They make arm bands and other types of carrying systems for them, and there are some that are moisture resistant.  Then you can buy whatever shorts you want.

sincerely silly

I'd suggest a separate carrier for the phone, then.  They make arm bands and other types of carrying systems for them, and there are some that are moisture resistant.  Then you can buy whatever shorts you want.

I was just thinking about that though I guess I was planning for the future thinking I might want to pack a snack or something. :-) I've also never used an armband before...I'm not sure how hard it might be to find one that works well?  Sounds like a sweaty skin rashy way to go if I'm not using it to listen to music or anything. (I have skin prone to that...I can't even really wear watches, nickel free or not.)

I shall rethink this shorts idea though! :-)

Yep, I was going to suggest an armband too. I have an Armpocket one. It can hold a phone, keys, id, money, etc. It's pretty comfortable. I did have one chafing incident so I use Body Glide first but for the most part I don't notice it.

sluggo

John

How big do the pockets need to be? What are you carrying? For keys, cash, etc. I use a Banjee Wrist Wallet when I am wearing something w/o pockets.

If I'm wearing a folded up Buff as a headband I tuck my key into the folds.

The wrist wallet idea looks like it might work for me. I sometimes carry keys, a cell phone, money, and credit card with on my Thu night runs. After the run we go to a local pizza joint for pizza or salad and MAYBE some beer.

I carry the cell in a waist band thing with a front pocket that is just large enough for a balckberry and I can put the keys in the key thing in the little front inside pocket in the shorts. Up to now I have been using some old Brooks shorts that have two deep side packets, a zipper pocket on one leg, and a waste band key pocket. After the run I take the cell out of the waist belt and put it into one of the deep pockets. The bad news is they seem to be unavailable now and my two pair are wearing out.

I also have an Amphipod reflective belt with shoulder straps with a zipper pocket. This is good for money and credit card. Cells bounce around too much and I only wear it when it gets dark early.

John
                              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Yep, I was going to suggest an armband too. I have an Armpocket one. It can hold a phone, keys, id, money, etc. It's pretty comfortable. I did have one chafing incident so I use Body Glide first but for the most part I don't notice it.

Be sure any armband is water & wick proof so the phone stays dry. I tried a couple and they weren't causing the phone to funky things until it dried out.

bob e v
                                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.