Elevation gain on a treadmill? (Read 145 times)

dblendc

I have looked through past posts and haven’t really found this answer. So here it goes.

The formulas I have ran across online for calculating elevation gain on a treadmill are:
    Step 1 Divide the percent grade by 100 and record this figure. For example, if you walked or ran at a 4.5 percent grade, your calculation would yield 4.5/100 = 0.045.
    Step 2 Multiply the number of miles you covered by 5,280 or the number of kilometers you covered by 1,609 to yield equivalent distances in feet or meters, respectively. For example, if you ran or walked 5.4 miles, your calculation would yield 5.4 x 5,280 = 28,512 feet.
    Step 3 Multiply the figure you obtained in Step 1 by that you obtained in Step 2 to determine the effective amount of elevation gain you achieved in your workout. Using the numbers in the present example, this figure would be 0.045 x 28,512 = 1,283 feet of climbing.

So I have come to the following conclusions. Is this right or not?
    Assuming the treadmill is calculated right…..If you have your treadmill at 10% (regardless of speed) you will gain 528 for every mile you run.
    Step 1 - - 10/100=.1
    Step 2 - -  5,280 x 1(mile) = 5,280
    Step 3 - - .1 x 5,280 = 528 ft. of gain

Assuming the treadmill is calculated right…..If you have your treadmill at 15% (regardless of speed) you will gain 792 for every mile you run.
    Step 1 - - 15/100=.15
    Step 2 - -  5,280 x 1(mile) = 5,280
    Step 3 - - .15 x 5,280 = 792 ft. of gain

Daydreamer1

Congratulations!!!!!!   You just passed your math test for the day .

For tomorrows test you have to calculate the total elevation gain for 5 different climbs. Two are 1 mile long @ 7% grade, one is 3/4 mile long @ 9.5%,  one is 1/2 mile @8% and the last is 1/2 mile @ 3% . Ok Just kidding.

Actually your math does look good.  You might find some people who will spout of some technical things about measuring elevation gain but what you have seems very, very close to me. Happy TM running.

GinnyinPA

I'm lucky, my TM does the math for me. At the end of the run, I can see I climbed x feet. It does encourage use of the incline.

BeeRunB

x

an amazing likeness

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

beat

Break on through

Thanks for posting that, dblendc.  It's a simple, useful formula.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Treadlocks