'We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.' (Read 569 times)

Kalsarikännit

I think we need a eugenics program based on 5k times. You know, forced sterilization if you can't break "X:XX" time.

Also, there is the problem of runners' propensity to mate according to VO2 Max--combined with the trend that higher VO2 Max couples are having fewer children.

We are getting slower as a nation. Thank God for our guns.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

I'm VERY concerned about the overall mental health of society, America especially. Maybe the ramifications of all these years of pharmaceutical companies paying off doctors to prescribe all these medications instead of exercise, sound nutrition, and life-improving tactics is starting to reach the surface. But no Americans become lazier and fatter with every passing year and take the cheap and easy way out. So now after countless years of bodies being dependent on these chemicals, someone forgets to take said pills and now they have a "reason" to do something stupid.

That but also parents not doing their jobs as PARENTS. I have two kids and I feel its my wife and I's responsibility to teach them the fundamentals of life about how to act, what is wrong/right, financial preparations, benefits of hard work, etc.

To me this case and so many countless others does not boil do to guns, race, politics, etc. The mental stability of this country is starting to break apart starting with our youth.

But I do hope these guys enjoy the excitement and joys that prison brings.Wink

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

While I don't like the trend of stable, well-educated couples having 1-2 children and poor or single mothers having many more....

With comments like this, perhaps you should just go back to communist China.  You'll be happier.  Religion doesn't even need to be in the equation.

Some well-educated people sometimes are worse than poor or single mothers. They may over control. They want them to be like them. They may not physically or sexually abuse their  children but mentally and intellectually abuse them.

The reason I put religion in the comment because, I think, some religions say God grants them to give birth, not themselves. Therefore, having a license would be against God's will. Communist is not better. In China, they do have one-child policy but there is not ruling out the incapable parents should learn parenting first before having a baby.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

I'm VERY concerned about the overall mental health of society, America especially. Maybe the ramifications of all these years of pharmaceutical companies paying off doctors to prescribe all these medications instead of exercise, sound nutrition, and life-improving tactics is starting to reach the surface. But no Americans become lazier and fatter with every passing year and take the cheap and easy way out. So now after countless years of bodies being dependent on these chemicals, someone forgets to take said pills and now they have a "reason" to do something stupid.

That but also parents not doing their jobs as PARENTS. I have two kids and I feel its my wife and I's responsibility to teach them the fundamentals of life about how to act, what is wrong/right, financial preparations, benefits of hard work, etc.

To me this case and so many countless others does not boil do to guns, race, politics, etc. The mental stability of this country is starting to break apart starting with our youth.

But I do hope these guys enjoy the excitement and joys that prison brings.Wink

I agree with you on all the above except the last sentence.

There is a documentary program titled: America's Medicated Kids. Those parents are not capable of taking care of their children who are considered extreme naughty. Therefore the professionals describe medication to calm them down and to help the parents cope with daily life.

The other program I think about relating to this is the dog whisperer. Those owners think they have a problem dog. However, Cesar Millan points out the problem are not the dog, but the owners. The owners' behavior caused the dog's extreme behavior  but they didn't realize that until Cesar's help.  Dogs are believed to have the intelligent of 3 year-old baby.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

I agree with you on all the above except the last sentence.

There is a documentary program titled: America's Medicated Kids. Those parents are not capable of taking care of their children who are considered extreme naughty. Therefore the professionals describe medication to calm them down and to help the parents cope with daily life.

The other program I think about relating to this is the dog whisperer. Those owners think they have a problem dog. However, Cesar Millan points out the problem are not the dog, but the owners. The owners' behavior caused the dog's extreme behavior  but they didn't realize that until Cesar's help.  Dogs are believed to have the intelligent of 3 year-old baby.

I will check that documentary out. Thank you. Obviously there are cases that children need medication. But there are a lot of doctors or professionals that are in the pockets of these huge pharmaceutical companies that will get kick-backs every time they prescribe "pill-X." Not every doctor, but as a MBA in Business and having friends in the healthcare field, but this statement stands to be very true. Compound that with parents that want the easier way (medications) to control the condition, we have a nasty little cycle.

For example, an in-law (almost 22 years old) of my will believe anything a doctor tells her and because she wants attention or wants people to feel sorry for her will exaggerate 10-fold. She was told she has ADD/ADHD a while back and, shockingly, is on meds. Now, exercise, especially running, has been proven to help control the people "labeled" with ADD/ADHD. Maybe studies have found newer evidence to contradict that statement but as a former personal trainer and addicted runner, I always loved finding out new healthier methods to control people's conditions.

Long story short, I feel these companies are in-directly ruining a lot of young people's lives all for the almighty dollar instead of trying to further human development through natural, health and work-harding means. That's not evening saying anything about the lives directly and in-directly influenced by said young ones.

PRs

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Race the Runways 10K

Turbolegs

I will check that documentary out. Thank you. Obviously there are cases that children need medication. But there are a lot of doctors or professionals that are in the pockets of these huge pharmaceutical companies that will get kick-backs every time they prescribe "pill-X." Not every doctor, but as a MBA in Business and having friends in the healthcare field, but this statement stands to be very true. Compound that with parents that want the easier way (medications) to control the condition, we have a nasty little cycle.

For example, an in-law (almost 22 years old) of my will believe anything a doctor tells her and because she wants attention or wants people to feel sorry for her will exaggerate 10-fold. She was told she has ADD/ADHD a while back and, shockingly, is on meds. Now, exercise, especially running, has been proven to help control the people "labeled" with ADD/ADHD. Maybe studies have found newer evidence to contradict that statement but as a former personal trainer and addicted runner, I always loved finding out new healthier methods to control people's conditions.

Long story short, I feel these companies are in-directly ruining a lot of young people's lives all for the almighty dollar instead of trying to further human development through natural, health and work-harding means. That's not evening saying anything about the lives directly and in-directly influenced by said young ones.

Even reading that in context, is too much a of a sweeping generalization. While bad apples exist everywhere, in all industries, that should'nt reflect on the entire group. Thankfully, unethical health practitioners are more the exception than the rule. And you have the FDA watching over to make sure that things dont get wild.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Even reading that in context, is too much a of a sweeping generalization. While bad apples exist everywhere, in all industries, that should'nt reflect on the entire group. Thankfully, unethical health practitioners are more the exception than the rule. And you have the FDA watching over to make sure that things dont get wild.

While yes I am making a generalization, the companies will be spread out over an ethical bell curve. But do you really think these giant, for profit pharmaceutical corporations are squeaky clean? I'd be willing to bet they have quite the influence on what is covered by health insurances. But the stuff I read and learned over the course of my college years surrounding unethical tactics from corporate giants, dubbed "black out", is some of the scariest stuff I've ever read.

PRs

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Race the Runways 10K

Menace to Sobriety

While yes I am making a generalization, the companies will be spread out over an ethical bell curve. But do you really think these giant, for profit pharmaceutical corporations are squeaky clean? I'd be willing to bet they have quite the influence on what is covered by health insurances. But the stuff I read and learned over the course of my college years surrounding unethical tactics from corporate giants, dubbed "black out", is some of the scariest stuff I've ever read.

I've always wondered why prescription drugs are advertised to the public. It seems like 2/3rds the ads on TV are for presciption meds. I can't go out and buy it without seeing a doctor, so what's the point, other than for manufacturers to coax patients to self-diagnose and pressure their healthcare providers to give them the magic pill they saw on TV?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I've always wondered why prescription drugs are advertised to the public. It seems like 2/3rds the ads on TV are for presciption meds. I can't go out and buy it without seeing a doctor, so what's the point, other than for manufacturers to coax patients to self-diagnose and pressure their healthcare providers to give them the magic pill they saw on TV?

If I remember correctly, that's relatively new.

To the best of my knowledge, up until the mid-1990s, prescription meds were not advertised on TV.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

nolamama

CQTM

This is the point.

JustLikeJF

Oh roo roooo!

I would think this also except that I have heard of what, to me, seems to be an unusual number of "bad apples" in the health care system I worked for in the course of the past few years.  An orthopod brought up on charges of insurance fraud, his partner on charges of tax evasion ($8 million in India he forgot to mention), an ob/gyn guy for filming patients during exams...and this is only what I HEARD about.  I would imagine there's more that was kept quiet enough or that I simply didn't stumble across.

And I could surely be wrong, but I think there is a LOT that goes on in the practice of medicine that is not on the up and up.

And the FDA?  Not sure how much they actually do, really...

Anyway, this is fairly OT, just wanted to say that I don't think we should necessarily assume that the FDA and the medical profession have it all in hand.

Turbolegs

I would think this also except that I have heard of what, to me, seems to be an unusual number of "bad apples" in the health care system I worked for in the course of the past few years.  An orthopod brought up on charges of insurance fraud, his partner on charges of tax evasion ($8 million in India he forgot to mention), an ob/gyn guy for filming patients during exams...and this is only what I HEARD about.  I would imagine there's more that was kept quiet enough or that I simply didn't stumble across.

And I could surely be wrong, but I think there is a LOT that goes on in the practice of medicine that is not on the up and up.

And the FDA?  Not sure how much they actually do, really...

Anyway, this is fairly OT, just wanted to say that I don't think we should necessarily assume that the FDA and the medical profession have it all in hand.

The bias is driven by media ... in general, you end up reading about the ones who went down a slope, not the hundred others who didnt which is also what the public wants to read about anyway. Am not saying the pharma industry is immune to corruption or anything like that, but dont think the view that it is extraordinarily so can be well justified. The finance industry as an example, is equally bad. Lets see how bad this pharma scandal in China gets - right now, its just one company. Probably a few more might bite the dust.

The FDA does its job to the extent that it can - just the same way that the USADA can take action on confirmed dopers but can not root it out altogether. The US justice machinery is actually quite world leading .. otherwise we wont be seeing reports like this or this

MTA: Apologies for being the OT posts .. (on topic personally, i think guns should be banned completely so very pro anti-NRA. The practical ability of the government to be able to do that will depend heavily on their ability to disarm those with criminal intent. One way to do that is to stop protracted legal proceedings in cases involving firearms and start expediting them with heavy sentences/punishment which should in theory drive down crimes and support that with a voluntary firearms surrendering program before going all out in one fell swoop to collect all citizen firearms. Obviously not trying to sound like i have all the answers (and i dont!!) but it is a thought......).

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.