U.S. Olympic Trials (Read 1540 times)

Troy.

Utmost respect for Lagat. Without him pushing the younger guys, no way our team is as strong as it is now.

+1

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Feeling the growl again

Fine, but let's face it, he only nipped him by a hair, albeit in Lagat's "territory." 37 ain't a thing.  Didn't Bernie win the 1500m at Pre?  Tells me he's still got the speed and strength.  

Read my last post again.  I said Rupp's win is so significant because Lagat is STILL such a contender.   Wink    For example nobody thought it was a big deal that anyone beat Webb in the heats...beating someone on the downslope is not really a sign of anything, no matter how fast they were in the past.

At 37 the clock is ticking though...he's not bumping up on his PR in the 1500 anymore.

I would hope 37 is no big deal, I'm awfully close...it's a bit disturbing to see them talking about runners my age being washed up or nearly washed up.  Of course I'm in the former group so maybe I should stop worrying.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Oh, and Lagat's got another shot to beat him, when it really counts.

Oh, and this.  ^^^

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

I just became a huge Julia Lucas fan. So tough for her, but this is sportsmanship and class.

Read my last post again.  I said Rupp's win is so significant because Lagat is STILL such a contender.   Wink    For example nobody thought it was a big deal that anyone beat Webb in the heats...beating someone on the downslope is not really a sign of anything, no matter how fast they were in the past.

At 37 the clock is ticking though...he's not bumping up on his PR in the 1500 anymore.

I would hope 37 is no big deal, I'm awfully close...it's a bit disturbing to see them talking about runners my age being washed up or nearly washed up.  Of course I'm in the former group so maybe I should stop worrying.

That's fair.  I guess I just don't like to see him lose and that was a little too much screaming, pumping and clapping for winning the OT, for my taste. Of course I will never know the excitement of competing on that level.

On being 35:

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I really need to get back to that book.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Best Present Ever

Sadly, in middle schools anything beyond 200 is considered distance.. .

I listened to a conversation among several UVA track team members while running in the pool this past year, and they kept talking about how much they hate "distance" events.  It eventually became clear they were talking the 800.  Of course, running the 800 with Robby Andrews would have to be discouraging.  

MTA:  Being a small-town girl, I'm just thrilled to pieces that local star Donnie Cowart came in 4th in the steeplechase. Sadly, my tivo malfuctioned so I didn't see the race this morning.   And his teammate Rachel, one-time HS star,  was 11th in the 10,000 m.  Watching her run with the big kids was pretty exciting.  

I agree with Spaniel. Lagat has been such a great target for these guys, he set the standard, and when he gets beaten (still pretty dang rare) you can tell that he is proud of the runner that did it. I read his thumbs up to Rupp as: "Welcome to the club." 

Utmost respect for Lagat. Without him pushing the younger guys, no way our team is as strong as it is now.

Oh, and Lagat's got another shot to beat him, when it really counts.

Yea, Lagat's a class act and one helluva runner. Unless you can't get over his alleged doping past I don't know how you couldn't like the guy.

Rupp's win was just awesome though because, a)Lagat's still one of the best in the game, especially so at kicking and general racing savy, b)he closed in 52.56 and showed a ton of guts and desire coming back after being passed. This win really does make Rupp and extremely serious medal contender and probably cements it in HIS mind because if you can be Lagat you are definitely one hell of a dangerous runner. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

8 years ago the Athens 5,000 meters was determined by a closing 52.X 400 meters.  That was within a few tenths of the closing 400 meters in the 800 meter race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkDgoD2JocM

(watch from 1:10 to 1:36 on the video - it's a little deceptive because all the top guys are kicking well and there is nobody being lapped... but that guy was moving!)

8 years ago the Athens 5,000 meters was determined by a closing 52.X 400 meters.  That was within a few tenths of the closing 400 meters in the 800 meter race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkDgoD2JocM

(watch from 1:10 to 1:36 on the video - it's a little deceptive because all the top guys are kicking well and there is nobody being lapped... but that guy was moving!)

Yea and look at who those guys closing in 52 were...Bekele and El G. When your talking about closing potentially as well as those guys you know you have a good shot at a medal.

Crazy that they can close as fast as the 800m guys too. Apparently Rupp and Lagat did the same last night closing in 52.56/52.46 compared to Symmonds' 52.61.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

#artbydmcbride

I just became a huge Julia Lucas fan. So tough for her, but this is sportsmanship and class.

Absolutely!! 

Runners run

HermosaBoy

CLASS ACT!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Tiefsa

That was a great 5K.  Wasn't it great how she pushed the pace because she was feeling awful.  Talk about guts!  It's too bad she didn't make it, but if she didn't go early, she would have finished 10th or something.

Looking forward to the 1500 meter finals, mens and womens.

Oh and Felix killed in the 200.  I thought it was going to be a super tight race.

This win really does make Rupp and extremely serious medal contender and probably cements it in HIS mind because if you can be Lagat you are definitely one hell of a dangerous runner. 

+1

looking forward to the 5000 team USA!

#artbydmcbride

Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh runoff is canceled.  Tarmoh pulled out.  Sad

Runners run