Oh the places you'll go (Read 716 times)

Kenotic Runner

I more or less became a runner August 25, 2005. Over the last few days I typed in data from my paper logs for 2005 which I didn't have online yet. This let me look at my complete log in Excel for the first time. I'm a frequent business traveler and I run wherever I go. In the last 2 1/2 years, I have run in 6 countries, in the US, UK, Switzerland, France, India, and Mexico. Within the US, I have run in 18 states. Here's the city-by-city breakdown. - Phoenix, AZ, 2 mi - Anaheim, CA, 4 mi - Beverly Hills, CA, 11 mi - Garden Grove, CA, 159 mi - Huntington Beach, CA 8 mi - Long Beach, CA 328 mi - Los Angeles, CA 170 mi - Millbrae, CA, 9 mi - Ontario, CA, 8 mi - Rancho Cordova, CA, 14 mi - Sacramento, CA, 9 mi - San Francisco, CA, 342 mi - San Ramon, CA, 15 mi - Sausalito, CA, 77 mi - South San Francisco, CA, 9 mi - Studio City, CA, 5 mi - Sunnyvale, CA, 3 mi - Alma, CO, 5 mi - Baily, CO, 10 mi - Breckenridge, CO, 9 mi - Buena Vista, CO, 12 mi - Colorado Springs, CO, 766 mi - Denver, CO, 15 mi - Estes Park, CO, 10 mi - Fairplay, CO, 19 mi - Idaho Springs, CO, 11 mi - Manitou Springs, CO, 26 mi - Monument, CO, 38 mi - Palmer Lake, CO, 12 mi - Poncha Springs, CO, 11 mi - Woodland Park, CO, 1 mi - Orlando, FL, 55 mi - Des Moines, IA, 3 mi - Chicago, IL, 14 mi - St. John, KS, 24 mi - Lousville, KY, 5 mi - Minneapolis, MN, 25 mi - Omaha, NE, 4 mi - Portsmouth, NH, 3 mi - Newark, NJ, 9 mi - Las Vegas, NV, 10 mi - New York, NY, 4 mi - Tarrytown, NY, 8 mi - Philadelphia, PA, 4 mi - Providence, RI, 5 mi - Custer, SD, 9 mi - De Smet, SD, 13 mi - Dallas, TX, 3 mi - Bangalore, India, 13 mi - Chennai, India, 50 mi - Goa, India, 13 mi - Kolkata, India, 7 mi - Feltham, UK, 10 mi - London, UK, 8 mi - Geneva, Switzerland, 3 mi - Tignes, France, 4 mi - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, 4 mi - Singapore, Singapore, 9 mi - Unknown, 64 mi Favorites include running past holy cows on rural roads in India, getting chased by a free range cow in the Colorado Rockies, running down Grays Peak in Colorado, running across central London, taking a speedy historic landmark tour of Philadelphia, running on the beach in Mexico, running across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, running in Central Park in New York, running around LAX, running up and down The Strip in Las Vegas, watching a beautiful sun rise as I run down a South Dakota rural highway, running on the treadmill in the fitness centre in the Singapore airport between flights, watching the sun set over the Pacific as I run the beachfront of Southern California, and running on fresh fallen snow on a Colorado park trail just a couple miles from my home. I wonder if there's a good chance I've run some of the same places a number of you have. (You can look at my Courses of my log, http://www.runningahead.com/logs/fe278b8d77114f10a07edc9153f90f47/courses, to see many of the specific routes.) Have you run any of the places I mention above?
      wow, that's amazing. You are truly lucky to have had these experiences! If you ran 14 miles in Chicago, I'm sure you did a stretch by the lakefront. One of the nice things about that path is the simple fact that so many people have done it. There's a sense of camaraderie that comes from running over the same stretch of land that so many people have shared for so long. Of course, come spring I'll probably be singing the virtues of an uncrowded, secluded route.
      Kenotic Runner

The longest I've done along Lake Shore Drive is 9 miles which included a side track down the Magnificent Mile. It was a nice run, beatiful weather, but a bit boring south of McCormick. It is amazing and wonderful I can remember a lot of these run. And I think there is a shared sense of connectedness for people who have run some of the same places. It certainly makes me feel more "local" in a lot of places.

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, you've been around! I've run races in India (Mumbai) and the UK (Loch Ness/Edinburgh). Plus around the Sea of Galilee in Israel. All fascinating experiences! Some training runs in Seoul, Frankfurt, Narita (Japan), and Paris. Plus a bunch of places in the USA, many of which I never would have visited if not for this hobby of mine.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Almost all of my races have been in New York State, but I've been to Utica, Oneonta, Ardsley, Orangeburg, etc. I did run a bit in Atlanta GA while I was there training with AT&T.
            I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
              In the last 2 1/2 years, I have run in 6 countries, in the US, UK, Switzerland, France, India, and Mexico.
              WOW. That's awesome!! So far I've run in PA, DE, NJ, NY, SC, and VA - Never too far from home (PA). In March I'll be logging some miles from Ireland, so that will be cool!

Michelle

Lets see, I'm from Sunnyvale - and you have ran Nat's Treadmill in Sunnyvale. While I have heard wonderful things about his treadmill, I have never had the pleasure. However, you have run the Mississippi River Trail which I do when I'm in Minnesota. It's definitly a fun trail to run, with some great views along the way. Also ran across the SF Golden Gate during the US Half Marathon.. also a great one. I'm about to add Disney World to my list in 9 days.

Member, Tangerine Meat Gloss Running Team

I'm about to add Disney World to my list during in 9 days.
                  That should be exciting! I have friends who ran the Disney Marathon some years back, they had a blast. Thinking back , I believe my one friend ran her first half-marathon there too.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm boring...MI, WI, IL. I brought my running stuff to CA during a 4 day weekend, but never managed a run. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kenotic Runner

Wow, you've been around! I've run races in India (Mumbai) and the UK (Loch Ness/Edinburgh). Plus around the Sea of Galilee in Israel. All fascinating experiences! Some training runs in Seoul, Frankfurt, Narita (Japan), and Paris. Plus a bunch of places in the USA, many of which I never would have visited if not for this hobby of mine.
                      I've run in Japan too. Used to live there. But wasn't really a "runner" then.
                      Kenotic Runner

Lets see, I'm from Sunnyvale - and you have ran Nat's Treadmill in Sunnyvale. While I have heard wonderful things about his treadmill, I have never had the pleasure. However, you have run the Mississippi River Trail which I do when I'm in Minnesota. It's definitly a fun trail to run, with some great views along the way. Also ran across the SF Golden Gate during the US Half Marathon.. also a great one. I'm about to add Disney World to my list in 9 days.
                        Nat's noisy treadmill in Nat's garage none-the-less! OK, maybe I am a bit compulsive about tracking running routes. Anyhow, I didn't do the Disney World Marathon. One time I was there was when they were doing the inline skating marathon. I ended up getting on the course, running the reverse direction, and ran through a couple of the parks. Probably wasn't supposed to do it, but it was open. As for the Mississippi River in Minnesota, can we say bugs! Extra protein that run. Uck. Anyhow, I've run across the Golden Gate bridge several times. One time I was staying in San Francisco on business and in the morning I took a taxi up to Visita Point in Marin just across the bridge and ran back to my hotel in Union Square. A very nice run. Used to live in San Francisco too.
                        Kenotic Runner

In March I'll be logging some miles from Ireland, so that will be cool!
                          Where in Ireland? I've been to Ireland too. But that was before I was a-running. Cry Anyhow, places I'd love to run in Ireland include the Wicklow Mountains, the Ring of Kerry, the Dingle Penninsula, and around central Dublin. I'd love to go back just to do those runs. Maybe some day...

Life time runner wannabe

Sounds like a fun life. I live in Buena Vista, CO, so guess I can claim that. But you appear to be a trail runner, and that's too nuts for little 'ole me. LOL Looks like you live in COS?
                            Kenotic Runner

I do really enjoy trails, and yes I live in Colorado Springs. Wish I could run trails more. Anyhow, I think my business travels are soon going to be taking me to the West LA area and I'm going to see if I can find some trails in Topanga State Park and/or Will Rogers State Park.