hill bounding (Read 161 times)

just watched the very motivating Arthur Lyliard video  "on the run" & interested to see who  has incorporated his "hill bounding" training into their training plan.     would like to hear of personal experience & what benefits you noticed.    also how &  when   you introduced hill bounding into your regular training.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I tried it a few times.  I don't think I'm very good at it!  The neighbors probably wondered what the heck a middle-aged woman was doing!  Thanks for bringing up the subject - I think I will give it a try, now that I'm running more.

SubDood

I'm in the middle of a Hill bounding phase of a Lydiard-based training program (Running Wizard).  The Hills phase begins after the completion of a base-building aerobic phase. The plan I'm following has a 10-week base-building phase, where you build up your mileage, with nothing too fast (nothing anaerobic). Then the HIlls phase begins, is 4 weeks long, with 2 Hills workouts each week. The Hills phase is intended to add strength on top of the endurance developed during the base-building phase. After that, I've got a 4-week Anaerobic/Intervals phase, then Coordination and Taper phases leading up to a Race.  I used this program for a marathon last summer, and it helped me beat a 19-yr-old marathon PR.

It does look strange to do the Hill Bounding. I actually do it on a treadmill, since it's not exactly hilly where I live. And I can hide in my basement while I do it. But I believe it has benefits, and helps in the transition to intervals and other speed workouts. The idea is not to go "fast" up the hill, but to really extend, driving upwards with each step. I think that, if done correctly, you'll look like a deer jumping over a fence with each "bounding" stride. My log has some Hill workouts done on the treadmill with the inclines, speeds, etc., if you are curious and/or goofy enough to try it this way.

Subdood,

I'm familiar with the "running wizard" program & that it's based on Arthur Lyliard principles of training.   The main reason I have not used Running Wizard is that I enjoy taking breaks in training to run various races where as Running Wizard is for peaking for a specific goal race  + the fact that I like to vary my runs + work schedule changes daily/weekly.  Would be difficult for me to stick to a more strict plan. It is possible that I could stretch out the plan where I could run other races & just stretch out the plan by repeating weeks.  For example I could set a goal race that is 6 months out or 24 weeks & start the Running Wizard plan for 24 weeks but actually start the plan 32 weeks out..  So I find a race at the 10 week mark of the plan I could run the race & after recovery week go back & repeat workouts for week.  Wonder how this would work.

thanks for the feedback on the hill bounding, will check it out abit more & then incorporate into one of my shorter run days, beginning very easy.  Have seen many people here on RA that have shown great improvement in race times using Running Wizard, but also working through other training plans as well.   Hard to ignore the fact that you had broke  a 19 yr old PR using the plan.  that's fantastic!

We have started hill bounding as part of our training.  One day a week:

2 miles easy

8 x 30 second bound up followed by 30 second easy down

1 mile easy

We think it has been very helpful.

Just a dude.

I've done two Lydiard style hill bounding phases.

For me, after the month, I felt much more light on my feet. I'm not sure how else to put it.

I was stronger, and not just on hills. My overall pace of my runs improved. But mostly I felt quicker and lighter. (After, not during. I felt pretty wiped the first week, and it kinda got easier as I went.)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

We have started hill bounding as part of our training.  One day a week:

2 miles easy

8 x 30 second bound up followed by 30 second easy down

1 mile easy

We think it has been very helpful.

sounds about right for someone like me to start

Kelly:  Did you do those as part of a Lydiard training plan or another training plan?  if so what plan & at what stage?

Just a dude.

sounds about right for someone like me to start

Kelly:  Did you do those as part of a Lydiard training plan or another training plan?  if so what plan & at what stage?

First time I was pretty following the Lydiard PDF that is floating around at  http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur%20Lydiard.pdf.  It was done after about 3-4 months of build up from being a fat couch potato. Second time I did it as part of the Running Wizard training plan. It was after about a longish buildup after foot surgery. If you look around my log you can find it. I did a set hills in April of 2010...

Both plans never made it to race day. First time I ended up having hamstring issues followed by having surgery to remove chunks of bone from my ankle joint. Second time I ended up with heart issues and ended up with a pace maker.

NOTE: None of my injury problems had anything to do with the training plans.

-Kelly

Kelly,   you have been through some serious stuff,  hopefully this will be the year where you reap the benefits of a completed training plan!  Yes this is going to be the year right?

2010 I was training for Seattle Marathon & felt was on course to at least make a BQ try possible.  It was my own plan but was basically following the Lydiard training in principle.    Was at the stage where I was going to begin more intense hill training to build strength up further followed by more intense interval training before & then tapering done for race.   BUT developed fairly strong PF issues.  So that pretty much put an end to any chance of completing Seattle.   Dont remember if I had planned to add hill bounding to the training.

right now plan is to  get into  upper 30's /low 40's weekly mileage consistently & hold for few weeks & add just abit of intensity.  I already do hills, hard to avoid where I live but will start throwing in some hill repeats & maybe some hill bounding work in near future.as well..

Lotus Medical

That was really amazing!

Just a dude.

Kelly,   you have been through some serious stuff,  hopefully this will be the year where you reap the benefits of a completed training plan!  Yes this is going to be the year right?

I hope so. After my heart issue, I gave up hard core and gained about 100 lbs. I'd been sitting at around 280 for a few months when an old high school rival challenged me to get back into shape. That was back in September. We are probably targeting a race in August, so I have some hill bounding sessions coming up in a couple months or so...

So far so good. Hoping to run some decent track meets this summer, and maybe sneak into a cross country race or two this fall. That and run a few 5ks and stuff like that.

Thanks!

-Kelly

NHLA

I run mt. trails with 1000' climbs in 1 1/2 miles. You have to bound over the rocks and roots and even have to go on all fours to get up some of the inclines after that when I run on the roads I feel like I'm floating up the hills. I have to go back to the trails every week or I lose that feeling.yellow trail  1000' one mile

Kelly:

peeked at your log.  you are doing some pretty decent mileage (very similar to mine last 2 mths) & yeah look like you are well on your way back up again!   just be careful to not progress too quickly.  Although with your background I don't need to tell you that.

NHLA:   that looks gnarly..  Probably not going to be doing any hill bounding up that.  I do abit of trail running but nothing like that, although also try to get out during spring/summer for some Cascades hiking.  no end to hiking around here.  every direction there is great hiking.  well every direction except west because there is a very large body of water called the Pacific Ocean.  that's for kayaking