Can Bad Walking/Running form Ruin a Treadmill ? (Read 437 times)

Desmondp

My mum has a new treadmill, pretty good one. She only weights 52 Kg and goes at like 4-6 kph but the treadmill makes quite a big of noise. I weight 80kg and run at 12 kph plus with no noise problems. I feel my mum is shuffling her feet too much and not lifting her knees enough so the motor has to work against her shuffling action

Am i being too paranoid ? or can bad walking/running form ruin a treadmill ?

thanks

Beware, batbear...

Shuffling feet will definitely wear out your shoes faster on the road, so it goes to reason that it might have an effect on the treadmill.  The other issue might be working at the slower speed.  Some motors actually work harder and are louder at lower speeds than at a speed around the middle of their workable range.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Menace to Sobriety

Try running the TM at different speeds with no one on it and see what the noise levels are. I doubt she'll hurt it, but as Josh says, some motors and gearboxes can be louder at lower speeds.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.