the science of training and the industry of training (Read 312 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Reminder:

http://www.hearn.to/jester-o-matic.html

Another approach: Just Can't Get Enough Jester

Be sure to refresh to get even more brilliance.

Ben Obert

When your students are carrying 150lbs of equipment at 8-10,000ft altitudes in the mountains of Afghanistan and running while being shot at, then their opinion of the skills I teach are the only ones which matter to me. Running up and down a perfectly level surface in cute outfits doesn't even qualify as a sport from my perspective.

Makes so much sense.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Oh, remember Chondroitin? What about Glucosamine? If you've ever used them, they were tested on race horses first. One of my mentors is in this video documentary of the Colorado State Veterinary program. That Dr. McIlwraith trains orthopedic surgeons in ACL tear reconstruction openly proves that most of you have IQ's in the single digits.

I remember them; I've tried them. Studies are inconclusive as to their effectiveness in treating pain in osteoarthritis patients. Their use in treating running injuries is questionable. Taking them for pain reduction has nothing to do with regeneration of tissue or healing injuries in case that's what you're trying to imply.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-latest-on-glucosaminechondroitin-supplements-2016101710391

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Another approach: Just Can't Get Enough Jester

Be sure to refresh to get even more brilliance.

I suppose its Not much of a leap to make that into a bot that trolls internet discussion boards randomnly until it gets a bite. Instead of a fixed database it could just pull in related links, articles, and images.  So much running discussion is just regurgitating crap based on nothing anyway (at least mine is...)

This is probally all some kids practical joke from years ago Just making the rounds.  Unbeknownst to the real person it’s mimicking.  The kids already grown up and graduated from college, has a family, forgot all about it.  And here we are being so clever...

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This is probally all some kids practical joke from years ago Just making the rounds.  Unbeknownst to the real person it’s mimicking.  The kids already grown up and graduated from college, has a family, forgot all about it.  And here we are being so clever...

True.  SJ never actually responds to people.  At least not in a typical forum conversational fashion.  Reminds me of those guys who were taken by women writing them friendship letters, that turned out to be a complete grift (written by a man).  Even when the marks noticed that "she" didn't actually respond to anything he'd say in a letter, he's still send money to help "her" out.

So, yeah, probably a keyword riffing bot.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Altair5

Runs in the rain

So, I know I am naive. My take is that sport jester is some arrogant guy who may have a training breakthrough to offer, although his claims seem way too extreme and his ideas somewhat vague and inconsistent.  I have looked up information for this discussion and I think it has been helpful and intellectually stimulating. I wondered why sj was continually mocked and his suggestions not given serious consideration. So, most of you think that this is totally fake? An assumed identity or a troll bot? I do have big doubts, a competitive athlete would certainly take notice of anything that could improve performance by even 1% and yet we have heard nothing regarding this quick fix to a 20% improvement? So, help me here, is this someone with a history of deceptions? What is the real story, why are you so convinced that this is all completely bogus?

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
              Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I suppose its Not much of a leap to make that into a bot that trolls internet discussion boards randomnly until it gets a bite. Instead of a fixed database it could just pull in related links, articles, and images.  So much running discussion is just regurgitating crap based on nothing anyway (at least mine is...)

Perhaps you're a bot. Or I am. Who can tell?

T Hound

Slower but happier

Perhaps you're a bot. Or I am. Who can tell?

I did consider that.  And the question of what does it matter?  As long as I dont figure it out and have an existential crises of ones and zeros.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

rlopez

So, I know I am naive. My take is that sport jester is some arrogant guy who may have a training breakthrough to offer, although his claims seem way too extreme and his ideas somewhat vague and inconsistent.  I have looked up information for this discussion and I think it has been helpful and intellectually stimulating. I wondered why sj was continually mocked and his suggestions not given serious consideration. So, most of you think that this is totally fake? An assumed identity or a troll bot? I do have big doubts, a competitive athlete would certainly take notice of anything that could improve performance by even 1% and yet we have heard nothing regarding this quick fix to a 20% improvement? So, help me here, is this someone with a history of deceptions? What is the real story, why are you so convinced that this is all completely bogus?

Well, among other things, because we've been through this washing machine more than a few times. He is like a comet. He shows up every 12-18 months, does the EXACT SAME THING, and then takes off. This goes back to at least 2012.

You are acting like this is new. It is not.

As for him not interacting with people, he used to. Why, once upon a time, he challenged me to a duel.

No shit.

rlopez

True.  SJ never actually responds to people.  At least not in a typical forum conversational fashion.  Reminds me of those guys who were taken by women writing them friendship letters, that turned out to be a complete grift (written by a man).  Even when the marks noticed that "she" didn't actually respond to anything he'd say in a letter, he's still send money to help "her" out.

He used to respond to people. And, in fact, he even worked a booth at a race I was at (the foot traffic marathon in Portland).

He may also be a bot.

Or a duck.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

So rlopez what is his story.

Is he really a coach.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Seattle prattle

But she said if she couldn't pay for rent, she would be forced to back to her stepfather, who badly abused her. And besides, I just got my tax return and was flush with cash.

HermosaBoy

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Why a duck?

Wait, we have to learn to run like a duck too?  ....well, that I think I can do.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

sport jester

Biomimeticist

So it was shown that a bumblebee can't fly, but obviously it does!

sport jester - You stated that the heel strike was your preference and then show fossil tracks of someone running on his toes (and at least part of the forefoot it looks like to me) like a sprinter! I am not sure if this would do for any distance running. I just don't like the impact shock of heel strike and try for a smooth and easy form.

Bumblebees fly, but its easier to say its impossible than admit you can't explain the science behind how they do it (their wings generate lift on the upstroke of their wings as well as the downstroke as with birds). Irrational people can rationalize anything....

I do answer questions and to yours, is that my goal was that given we run with an impact force of twice our weight in walking, and 4X our weight to run, the missing connection is that human running has evolved for our efficient locomotion on traditionally soft surfaces. In short, we were designed to leave a foot print.

For modern city living, concrete has erased that ground function and now our bodies are forced to absorb an impact that the ground used to absorb. So my goal in all of this was to create a running technique specifically for concrete. The earlier fossil footprint shows not only an inline landing, the entire outline of the foot is present.

If you try the masking tape exercise, you'll learn that its fully possible to walk with absolutely no vertical lift in your step. In running, the impact forces are significantly reduced. Its why the Soldier Subject video documents the impact force reduction in walking, and other videos document those who notice the improvement in running.

Even for distance runners, sprinting skills are highly adaptable, especially in hill running at optimum speed. Trail runners enjoy the balance control. They tell me (as well as firefighters) that it significantly reduces stress loads to the knees.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong