Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

The 5k mens and women's steeple were amazing and fast in doha today too. Berlin was amazing. I think Bekele make take down 2 hours in a legit race before kipchoge. I think Kipchoge will break 2 first in Austria.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - one of those pacers looked like he had 220 SPM, it was unbelievable. There was also one of them with a chain that was just slapping him in the face. No idea how these guys do it. I watched the whole race replay Sunday afternoon and was glad I did. Excellent stuff.

DPS - Makes sense to do Grandma’s as it is in your neck of the woods. I’m a little wary about the travel and especially the chances of warm weather.

Me - ended up doing my 10@MP today to take advantage of the cooler weather, so I’ll have 4 days of all easy running between now and my 10K. Given how good the forecast is and how fresh my legs feel (for some odd reason), there’s an outside chance I go sub 35. I’m putting this out there so I don’t have to hear it from flavio that I was sandbagging with my sub 36 goal (even though I think that’s the right number with no taper and non-flat course).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Google Alberto Salazar right now...

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Jmac that was a great workout nice job.

Bekele looked in good shape. Definitely slimmer than usual.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

is this in response of "I dont know how they do it"?

I think you are being unfair. Maybe it is really just hard training in altitude 😀

Google Alberto Salazar right now...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

The 5k mens and women's steeple were amazing and fast in doha today too. Berlin was amazing. I think Bekele make take down 2 hours in a legit race before kipchoge. I think Kipchoge will break 2 first in Austria.

Call me a purist, but while the Breaking-2 / Ineos 1:59 thing is kind of a cool science experiment, I personally don't think it counts until it happens in a legit race.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I agree with both your points Mark

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen/Jmac/Dps - you guys are on a roll with massive weeks.

Mark - finally some BOTT targets.

JMac - it’s like dodgeball but since I can see the dogs from far, I can turn away 100m before. The end result is if you look at the map of my run it seems like I was drunk.

As for my accent, I’m so glad MJ described it as a bland foreigner accent, that’s as best as it will ever get.

I’ve worked a lot over the year to clear it up and got it to the point where native speakers can’t place my accent immediately.

If you google Flavio java architect youtube you should find it pretty easy.

If the video looks weird, it’s because it’s damn weird to talk to a camera. I’ve gained massive respect for TV people ever since for the fact that they can look at a camera and it seems like they’re looking at us.

Bekele’s run was incredible, he must be kicking himself until now for not running 2 seconds faster. There was an article about him, he went to the Netherlands, consulted with a top PT and was given a diet and forced to rest during the day. He runs a few business in Ethiopia, It will be very hard to focus solely on running, but I have no doubt that he’s the greatest ever.

Worlds has been very fun, I’ve enjoyed the 5000m men’s final. Jakob kicked Mo Ahmed’s legs several times but he still managed to stay standing and beat his ass to the finish line for third. Mo Ahmed is a stud.

I was happy to see Muktar back to great form, and also happy to see a sub 13 effort from them.

As for Salazar, the fact that he was looking for every possible loophole with medication he could administer his athletes makes him a shady character at best.

It seems a case similar to Al Capone, who if I’m not mistaken was arrested for tax evasion rather than for the thousands of murders he ordered.

Mark - the sub 2 challenge is off course a marketing stunt, nothing more, but it seems to have brought some newfound confidence to Kipchoge as he ran faster after trying the first time. I'm sure the cheaterflies have something to do with it  as well though.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DPS - Grandma's is actually on my radar for next year. I'd probably only run it if Dallas blows up on me, but my in-laws have said they want to "gift" me a race and that one has interested me for a while.

Piwi - Yup. That certainly qualifies as super-fast to me.

JMac - Good job on that workout last night.

Flavio - Don't forget about Capone's bootlegging (during the Prohibition years) and racketeering!

I bailed on the last 2 miles of my M-effort workout today (called it at 8mi) - the heat just got to me and I was fatiguing faster than I should have. Miles 6 & 7 my effort was a bit below what it should have been, but I nailed the rest of them. Taking everything into account (heat, wind, hills, etc.) I'm pretty pleased with what the adjusted pacing comes out to for the effort.
                    Looking forward to just easy miles (and relatively few of them) before the race Saturday.

ETA: My hip bothered me through most of the day yesterday, but was barely noticeable while walking this morning. No issue while running, and after the run it's completely gone!

I suppose NOP gear may get cheaper now (not that I have any myself).
                    Salazar has kinda struck me as someone who'll exploit all the grey areas possible. If a rate of 25mg of a medication per day is prohibited due to performance enhancing effects, then by definition 24.99999(you get the idea)mg per day is legal. I'm sure if you go to the legal limits of all sorts of medications/supplements, etc. there's a cumulative effect that doesn't meet the technical definitions of doping.
                    None of his runners have actually been popped for doping, have they?

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - None have been caught but there has been quite a bit of smoke.

Re: legal limits, IIRC the testosterone limit on females is several times higher than what the average female can have. That's just one example where they can increase their testo several times and still come under the limit. And that's just one of the variables, we're not talking about all the pharmacos available out there (or those doctors the runners visit in Germany to treat their back pains).

All that said, I still enjoy the races very much and don't think too much about it unless they're caught (like Jemima, Rita Jeptoo, etc).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - still good work in the heat! That's why I moved this workout to a cooler day: it's hard to stay cool when you're getting no break. It's easier to do something like 3x2T or 5x1200 because you are getting those rests where your body cools down. 6E + 10M is just 16 miles straight with no time to cool off.

My ankle where I had tendinitis in January flared up after this run, so it's definitely one where you can put yourself at risk. I have it taped up now pretty good. Seems you had the opposite effect 

Definitely take it easy the next 3 days. We need some new PRs this weekend!

Breaking 2 - I think it's pretty easy to say "on a record eligible course" but what does that even mean? Why is having pacers at Berlin fair, especially when they can run in front of you and block the wind? Or a blue line that shows the shortest possible route? But somehow having them in a flying V is so unacceptable that we wouldn't count it?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Breaking 2 - I think it's pretty easy to say "on a record eligible course" but what does that even mean? Why is having pacers at Berlin fair, especially when they can run in front of you and block the wind? Or a blue line that shows the shortest possible route? But somehow having them in a flying V is so unacceptable that we wouldn't count it?

Delurk.

IIRC, the issue with the flying V was NOT the V itself, but rather that fresh runners kept subbing in.  In a legit race, your pacers need to be running the race from the start; no substitutions halfway in.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I definitely think 3x 2T (or 2x 3T, even) would have been easier today just for the opportunity to cool off during the rest portions. If only all niggles would go away with more running! Hopefully all it takes is a bit of tape and a short bit of time for the ankle to get better.
                            It's not the chevron pattern to the pacers that breaks the "record eligible" portion of the trial, it's that the pacers rotate so those who are actually making the attempt can go the entire way with 1) pacers, & 2) a mobile windscreen.
                            I'd love to run a race with the tangents painted on the road! And pacers? A pace group faster than 8 min/mi would be nice.

DWave handily beat me to those points!

Forgot to mention: I did try out some nutrition during the M effort portion this morning, which went well. It's always nice to verify something shouldn't cause an issue at race effort.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen yes good job on a hot day. I used to run 5k in about 17.30 5 years ago so anything less feels like I have failed. This is a problem for me comparing to better days.

It's a shame with all the doping busts as it just throws more doubt on the sport.

Technology whether we like it or not is bumping the times down. Shoes, blue lines, nutrition etc it's all helping.

The Vaporflys have been a significant help to the current world record blitz in the half and full marathon.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Also the drink/gel access is much more frequent and I believe there is a v of cars blocking wind too

Delurk.

IIRC, the issue with the flying V was NOT the V itself, but rather that fresh runners kept subbing in.  In a legit race, your pacers need to be running the race from the start; no substitutions halfway in.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k