eliminating walk breaks (Read 837 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Yesterday, I took a big step (no pun intended) in my running career yesterday. Ever since I started running about two and ½ years ago…I employed the Jeff Galloway method (taking walk breaks). I started my running career by running a minute…walking a minute. I gradually increased that to 5/1 splits (run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute). Well, one of my goals for this year was to eliminate the walk breaks (or at least drastically reduce them). Well, yesterday, I did a 12 mile long run, and I only took 4 (count ‘em four) one minute walk breaks…and each one was at the top of a hill. Under the Galloway method, I probably would have taken about 24 or 25 one minute walk breaks. I did the 12 miles in 1:56:39 for a 9:44 pace. Yesterday was a HUGE milestone in my running career.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

A Saucy Wench

WoooooooooT

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Congratulations! That's great!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Congrats -- this means your getting stronger and have more endurance... I have become a huge proponent of the walk breaks so I would say good job but you have to admit, those 1 minute walk breaks are really good and make a serious difference...

Champions are made when no one is watching

You Are Beautiful.

Great work! Never heard of that method but it seems you're kicking the method's butt! Good luck in the future!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Good job. Run/walk works. You have demonstrated a lot of patience and persistence. I am impressed. I have coached a lot of folks who have done run/walk for marathons and have had faster times than if they attempted to run the whole distance. I started run/walk as I trained for ultras back in the very early 80's. Long before Jeff's book. I learned about run walk from a guy named Tom Osler. Google him. Read his book. No shame in walk/run. Actually, it is probably a very healthy way to remain fit with less fear of injury. If you are running for the rest of your life--there should be no big hurry. All the best. Nick