300 (Read 2711 times)

bhearn

Yes and no.  I have no plans to run a bazillion half marathons (or even two a weekend, a la my double marathon weekends).  So not beastly. 

I think you are missing the mathematical point re 333.

Number of times in the past 12 months that it has been brought to my attention "so-and-so asked if you were gay" (because I wear pink): 4, that I recall.  Different so-and-so's.

Meanwhile, I ran through the streets of San Francisco wearing a silver-sequined g-string, and nobody asked if I was gay. Huh.

xor

Nah, I got it.  I've had 666 brought up a few times.  Sometimes as "333 halves now?"  Sometimes they get tricky, "you know, if you switch to halves, you have to run 666 halves, That will add up to another 333 marathons and get you to 666".

bhearn

Hmm, but then you would be one short of 1,000 halves + marathons + ultras, which would be a shame.

xor

I finished 333 today.  Not fast, not slow.  Ran evenly.  Drank a wee glass of whiskey at mile 2.2 just after exiting the 2 mile long tunnel.

I might put together some numbers sometime.  Not feeling it today.

Here's a curious number that doesn't mean much, especially in terms of Important Stuff in the World..  At the end of 2011, my 312 marathons+ultras (at that point) was ranked 250th all-time in the world and 54th all-time in the US.  According to this list which I am absolutely sure wasn't really actually accurate:

http://www.worldmegamarathonranking.com/World_Megamarathon_Ranking/World_Ranking.html

http://www.worldmegamarathonranking.com/World_Megamarathon_Ranking/USA_Ranking.html

I can guarantee that 333 will move me up a couple spots, unless someone blew by me, because there are 2 folks who stopped.  And if I run #334, I can skip in front of the dude who stopped at 333 because he died.  Oh dear.

I'm 14th all time in the maniacs.

However, there are a ton of folks these days running lots of marathons, and lots more races to run.  As well as events that I struggle to really consider "races" and groups that are putting on 2 races a weekend.  So I will sink for sure. 

Ah well. 

It's just running.

I'm kind of burned out.

{clap}{clap}{clap}{clap{clap}{clap{clap}{clap{clap}{clap}

Congratulations!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Very cool! Smile
              TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Awesome, fore sure! 

steph  

JML

Congrats!

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Kalsarikännit

Congrats.  That is a big number.  The racing must have been nice, but the people you have met along the way and the unbelievable places you have been able to see and experience must have been so special.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Congrats!

an amazing likeness

Kudos on both the amazing mental and physical accomplishment of completing all those events, often while recovering yourself. Also on having an out-clause and not getting trapped by the streak...that takes a strength which some don't have.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bhearn

Way to go, Stevie Ray. I am beginning to feel burned out myself at 79. 333... I can only imagine.

See you at White River. (Retired? Ha!)

#artbydmcbride

Now you should rest on your laurels!  (for a day or two)   Smile

Runners run

Congrats Stevie Ray.  

xor

Congrats.  That is a big number.  The racing must have been nice, but the people you have met along the way and the unbelievable places you have been able to see and experience must have been so special.

Yes, this is all true.  Also part of why I didn't immediately throw together a bunch of numbers (or prepare them in advance), because that's not really what it was about most of the time.  It was the traveling... the numbers happened along the way.  Also why I continued to run in pink long after my relationship with my ex-wife completely dissolved.  I met so many people that had been touched by breast cancer that it has remained important to me.

(fwiw, I ran 333 in maniac colors, not pink.  The maniacs have given me a lot over the years, and the sole reason why 333 was the supposed big deal was because the club president made it so to me.  And has been hella super nice to me over the years.)