Am I Cheating??? (Read 832 times)

Wally & Leela

I have done my last 2 runs on the treadmill. My question is...Am I cheating? My last run was my "long" run of the week at 5 miles. Now, when I do my normal runs (usually about 3 to 4 miles) and my long runs (right now 5 to 6 miles) I do them outside. And I usually have to take a few 30 second to 1 minute walk breaks. On the treadmill my runs are a bit easier and I seem to be able to control my breathing better ( I don't get overly winded like I do sometimes when I run outside). But, am I losing anything by running on the treadmill as opposed to outside (where I have to actually propel myself foward and deal with the elements)? I should state that my eventual goal is to comfortably run a 1/2 marathon.

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

Imminent Catastrophe

No, you are not cheating. Personally I would rather run 12 miles outside than 6 on the Dreadmill, but that's just me. If you set the treadmill to a 0.5% or 1% incline it will simulate the load of an actual road run. Of course it will not be a substitute for hills and outdoor weather that's not ideal, but it's still good training. You still need to get in a lot of real outdoor running when preparing for that HM, though. BTW my avatar likes your avatar!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

If you set the treadmill to a 0.5% or 1% incline it will simulate the load of an actual road run.
        And you will be less likely to hyper-extend your back. I agree; I'll take 12 outside over 6 inside any day.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I think that if you ran AT ALL, whether it's on a treadmill or outside, you did better than 80% of our country... Big grin I love the spirit of running in that you only really cheat YOURSELF if you cut corners.... By the way, though...I don't think running on a treadmill is cheating, sometimes it's the only way you can get a run in, and it's better than missing one completely! *edited to correct the spelling of "spirit" b/c I can't spell today...
          "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
            Not cheating at all, but make sure you do get some runs in outside when you can ! Cute pup, btw Smile
            2009: BQ?
              Nope, not cheating. I actually find it harder to run the same speed on the treadmill as I do outside. I find that I get overheated in the gym - now if they would just put a fan right in front of my treadmill....

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

I think t-mill running is harder but my HR monitor disagrees. It just seems like the lack of forward motion and the occasional downhill increasis the degree of difficulty. FTR, a lot of my speed work that got me my PR marathon was done on the mill.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.