marathon cut off times need to change to increase good health (Read 424 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Simone - I note you arguing for an 8 hour cut-off, rather than the 6 that is the norm (though it does vary by race).

Why not longer?  What made you select 8 hours and not 10 or 12 as the cut off time?    What was your reasoning for 8 hours?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

simone1023

This wouldn't have anything to do with the Paphos marathon, and corrupt officials cutting courses, would it?

your a comedian,i think about everyone in sport , not just me, cut off times never heard off back in the 90s, it was just fun runs, sorry if its hard for you to understand

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

people who run for over 6 hours like me, have to actually work harder to finish and could well be fitter than you.

Having been at both ends of this range, sub-3:00 and over 6:00 over a 50 year running career, I do not agree with this statement.  Certainly the slower runners work longer, but at a much less intense effort, so it is not harder.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

rlopez

I think it is slightly more likely that this is our friend kitten than sportjester. But maybe not.

Anyway, there be monsters about whenever the "I work harder than you do" card gets played. Don't try to handle it logically.

rlopez

The title of the thread doesn’t even make any sense. If you can’t run a marathon in 6 hours or under then I’d say it’s bad for your health. 

While I disagree with lots of this thread and I think the OP might be a troll, I would also ask Mikkey if you have anything to back up this particular assertion.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I would actually argue that running marathons in general is not good for your health given the research around the heart damage that occurs in endurance athletes.

If you're worried about people running for their health, they should stick to 5Ks and 10Ks. Nobody needs to run a marathon to be healthy.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mikeymike

Don't try to handle it logically.

Are you sure? I think several of the highly logical rebuttals above were *this* close to convincing him/her. I've been hitting refresh on this thread waiting for the OP to have his/her aha moment and thank the poster that finally broke through.

Runners run

ELnEC

Are you sure? I think several of the highly logical rebuttals above were *this* close to convincing him/her. I've been hitting refresh on this thread waiting for the OP to have his/her aha moment and thank the poster that finally broke through.

My own optimism for an epiphany ended when the OP played the Hitler card.

If you are trolling, OP, well played.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow I missed the Hitler reference. It's so hard to tell if it's a troll because of the potential ESL issue. But maybe that's part of the troll! If so, 10/10 here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kcam

kitten ... sportjester?  My money's on the ghost of ee cummings.

Since flatfooter is too modest to respond to this troll, would just like to point out that he in fact has a 17:20 100 miler.  That is faster pace than a 4:30 marathon.

My money is on it being Kitten. When she gets her hackles up and is on a roll, she accidentally punctuates correctly and forgetfully throws in a "whilst" and "rubbish."

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

people who run for over 6 hours like me, have to actually work harder to finish and could well be fitter than you. i have ran for over 35 years, so what you have said is total rubbish.selfish for volunteers, oh really so the perks of volunteering must be new to you free meal and drink,lol      and you say i didnt put the hard work in something else that is rubbish running 9 miles every wednesday, 17 miles every sunday for 5 months mr know it all.. think before you talk next time

The last time I volunteered at a race I only got one ham sandwich on white bread and a small carton of concentrated orange juice!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dhuffman63

Trails

Simone, troll, whatever...stop whining to people who can't change anything and go start your own marathon, be a race director with an 8 hour cutoff.  Get over it.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

While I disagree with lots of this thread and I think the OP might be a troll, 

Oh, the OP is unquestionably a troll.  Without a doubt.  But this is a fun thread anyway.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.