2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm 34 now but will age up for 2020, which puts my BQ time at 3:05.

Keen - just reitarting on this thread that getting the BQ secured is more important than 2:59. So I would stick in the 6:55-7:00 range. If you feel great at mile 20, you can try to hammer it home for the sub 3. But I wouldn't go out at 6:45-6:50 pace if getting a BQ secured is important to you, 2:59 is just a number and you will get another crack at it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Speed Surplus

"just now had one person sneak under each of the former male world records"

Not to pick nits, but Kipchoge didn't exactly SNEAK under the record... he sent it home devastated. I think the Vaporfly shoes are fine and I wish they'd hurry up and make more of them and/or make them cheaper, so I could try them out. I'm a size 12 if anyone wants to send a pair Smile

Fake bicycling - that's the e-biking. It's still exercise - sometimes I even average 130 HR for an hour when I push it, but it's not like doing 100+ miles on my regular road bike, either.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Ace - I think you've got a good shot at sub3 in nice, cool weather.  Go out at 1:29!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cutting and pasting this, so it doesn't get lost on the previous page.

If anyone ventures a prediction (unless it's a negative one, ) for the marathon on Saturday, I'll take it.  I'll be brief with my training summary.

Last marathon in March:

- Ran 3:05Tight lippedx, moderately hilly course (1400' gain) with good weather. Negative split by about 2 minutes.

- 16 week avg was 41 MPW with last 8 week avg 50 MPW, had "extended" taper as I was cautious about hip injury. So these numbers do not include last 2 weeks, which was minimal running.

- One race in that cycle was HM at 1:25:16 in windy, flat conditions 2 months prior to marathon.

- LR peak was 22 with 7 at GMP or faster (avg 6:50). Total of 3 20+ milers.

Took one month off in April to recoup from injury. Ran 52 miles that month. May was 150 miles. Then from June on was back to "normal" of 180s - 200s MPM.

Current Cycle: Goal Race, Indy 26.2, flat course. Weather looks about perfect. Overnight low is 37, high on race day is 54.

- 16 week avg was 45 MPW, 8 week is 47 MPW with 2 down weeks for races

- 2 races, both HOT and hilly. All uphill HM in 1:28Tight lippedx, 15k in 1:00Tight lippedx.

- LR peak was 22 with last 7 at GMP or faster (avg 6:50). Five 20+ mile runs.

Obviously, I'm not a high mileage trainer, but stick to 2-3 quality sessions per week with rep work, hills, pickups, tempos, etc.

Hoping that cumulative training will pay off as this will be my 4th marathon in 20 months.

I feel good. Rested. Loose. Antsy. Excited.

I agree with Rovatti - sub-3 is realistic.  I would go out more like 90:30 ish, but that's my personal preference, compounded by the fast that you've negative-split a marathon before.

Maybe any shoe that costs more than $150 should be considered an unfair advantage.

You're ruling out a lot of shoes with that standard Smile.  Including the Adidas Ultra Boost, the Asics Kayano and Gel Nimbus, the Brooks Beast, the Mizuno Wave Creation and Wave Horizon, the New Balance 990, the Saucony Freedom, Liberty, and Triumph, and anything made by Newton.

And does that standard change with inflation?

Of course, we would also have the running version of a "claiming race", where if you enter the race, you agree that you'll sell your shoes to anyone else who agrees to pay the price set for that race.  That's how you equalize economic disparity in sports.  I think rally car driving has something similar.

SC - good point - "sneak" maybe wasn't the best term for Kipchoge.  But my point remains - he didn't get it in the previous tries with the VF, despite having good weather and fast courses for some of those races.  And nobody else wearing the VF beat the old record.

14 miles for me today.  3 mile warm-up (8:56), then 8k tempo in 32:18 (6:40/6:29/6:27/6:25/6:18).  Jogged around a bit, then jumped in to help a friend with a few of her 400s - running around 93-94 for each.  Then a 4 mile cooldown (9:26) plus some injury prevention work and recovery swimming.  A bit more miles than I usually run on a workout day, so I'll take it easy tomorrow.  Tempo felt bizarrely easy and my HR was just barely above marathon effort.  Probably because we had perfect weather.  (and no - I was NOT wearing the VF for the workout)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

I promise I will post my RR sometime soon, I'm almost done writing, but figured I'd give an update after I saw my leg doctor today. The diagnosis is left proximal hamstring tendinosis, and it needs time to heal. I'm probably looking at a minimum of 3 months away from running, which will give me plenty of time to get better at swimming, or something else that doesn't aggravate the injury. Strength training will follow at some point but I will have to see a PT first to get the right exercises to do at the right time. The path forward right now is icing 3 times a day, very light stretching, and as little sitting as possible (good thing my office has an open standing desk station right now). I'll still try to hang out here as much as I can though.

Ace, Keen - I think you can both go sub-3!

I also love my Vaporflys even if I've only run 3 runs in them (one being a failed marathon).

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

It's cool that there are a couple people here flirting with sub-3 in the near future.

Decided to post my week since it kind of looks like training.  I have a 24 hour race in two+ weeks (defending my title from last year at Crooked Road) so I'm mixing in some fast walking practice.  With some pool running, I ended up around 102 miles from the week.  All very slow, most likely because I've apparently turned ancient but also possibly because I've done 0 fast running since Feb or Mar, just before I wrecked my hamstring tendon again.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Oct 22, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 28, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
              Mon 15.0 11:00 8x Tempo Repeats on Queen Anne 2469 strava
              Tue 9.0 10:35 Morning Run w/ walking practice 288 strava
              Wed 13.0 10:38 Morning Run w/ walking practice at end 555 strava
              Thu 13.0 10:28 Morning Run 527 strava
              Fri 20.0 10:14 Morning Run 1498 strava
              Sat 7.1 10:48 Morning Run 362 strava
              Sat 3.0 12:46 Afternoon Run 46 strava
              Sun 14.1 10:49 Morning Run 550 strava
                94.2 10:43   6295  

pepperjack

pie man

London 2018 was apparently the hottest on record with a fatality.  Not sure any of his previous attempts actually had good weather, via some basic research.  Only 2016 London seems decent and he missed the record there by just 8 seconds (but still ran a PR by over a minute, after running 2:04 with almost robotic consistency the previous three years).

This is really what grabbed me about the half, though from LR dot com:

“five men have broken 58:45 in 2018 — the same number of people who had ever accomplished the feat prior to this year”

As far as I can tell:

Abraham Kiptum - nike

Jemal Yimmer - nike

Began Karoki - nike

Erick Kiptaniu - nike

Abdi Hadas - nike

I mean, maybe if even one of those guys was sponsored by adidas I would concede a title.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Pesto

ck - I agree with JMac that if it's important for you to get a BQ (i.e., if you're planning on racing Botswana in 2020), it would be better to try to get that out of the way first instead of risking it. I think sub3 is definitely doable for you though, so if this is not the case then go for the sub3.

ace - you're definitely ready for sub3 too! Good luck this weekend!

rune - s#!t, sorry to hear that! All the best for recovery and hopefully you'll be able to be back soon. Looking forward to the RR.

pj - interesting about the vf and those HM times

max - good to see you putting in some "decent" mileage 

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

mattw4jc

You're ruling out a lot of shoes with that standard Smile.  Including the Adidas Ultra Boost, the Asics Kayano and Gel Nimbus, the Brooks Beast, the Mizuno Wave Creation and Wave Horizon, the New Balance 990, the Saucony Freedom, Liberty, and Triumph, and anything made by Newton.

True. I wasn't being serious so much as reacting to the "can shoes give an advantage" insinuations. Some BQ squeakers who don't make it look for anything to blame, so why not shoes?

It's cool that there are a couple people here flirting with sub-3 in the near future.

I was just thinking the same thing. It's great! But are we going to lose them to the Sub-3 forum if they do? And if we are, is it wrong to hope they all get 3:00:01? Kidding of course.

Arvind Balaraman

Interesting

London 2018 was apparently the hottest on record with a fatality.  Not sure any of his previous attempts actually had good weather, via some basic research.  Only 2016 London seems decent and he missed the record there by just 8 seconds (but still ran a PR by over a minute, after running 2:04 with almost robotic consistency the previous three years).

This is really what grabbed me about the half, though from LR dot com:

“five men have broken 58:45 in 2018 — the same number of people who had ever accomplished the feat prior to this year”

As far as I can tell:

Abraham Kiptum - nike

Jemal Yimmer - nike

Began Karoki - nike

Erick Kiptaniu - nike

Abdi Hadas - nike

I mean, maybe if even one of those guys was sponsored by adidas I would concede a title.

berylrunner

Rick

Pacing advice for my half marathon on Saturday?

Snow Canyon Half Marathon.  Downhill course with moderate descent in the middle section.  8:30 start time.  Buses leave from 6:30 to 7:30.  Start is usually cool, low 40's so I will try to be on a 7 am bus for a little warm up and facility use.  Plan to eat a 6 am.  Maybe test a gel at mile 7.5 (aid station, I don't want to carry anything).  I will have some altitude advantage with the course starting 2000 ft lower than where I live.  The trouble will be my joints handling the pounding.

Half PR is 1:39 eight years ago.  Have not raced a serious half since.

Training - big miles last month but few speed miles.  Recovering from a big weekend.  Things feel pretty good but worry about going all out.

Option A - go for a PR

Option B - tempo run

Option C - progression run

Option D - fun run

Leaning toward A or C.  Just don't know how much to hold back at the start.  I think I can do the moderate downhill well without blowing up.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Ace - sub-3.

Keen - 3:05. Your best predictor right now is your (old) 10k which actually is faster than what your more recent 5k predicts for that distance.  Your mileage has been higher but I don't think you can confidently assume much better endurance than what you've exhibited before, and if the BQ is the important thing, that's what you should go for.

Rick - A, go for it. Since you're primarily a trail runner you should have good form for downhills, that is, not overstriding. If you have a HRM that's a good way to keep your pace in check on early downhill - or stick to a reasonable flat-race goal pace for the first 3-4 miles.

I am probably going to check in here only sporadically, so if you really want me ping me on Facebook or email me (heyheyilana @ gmail.com). I don't think I get emailed for PMs.

Running Problem

Problem Child

rick Go for the PR. It's road so you'll get to see how it feels to run the entire time. If it is good weather why not try

ace Sub 3 for sure. no advice on pace. you just seem to be talented with speed. Just don't leave us for Jmac#imjealous

rune again, take recovery seriously. Ace was injured earlier this year, McBen hasn't been running much due to injury, OMR had recovery to deal with and Rovatti did too. you're not alone.

max I thought you were injured because of your strava paces. Glad it was planned to be that way. Good luck keeping the crown.

dwave Interesting type of horse race. I bet it's pretty high steaks. Do you get to set the price when you enter the race? Also, have you ever participated in a "Ride and Tie" event? There is a world championship out here and I'm sure you'd excel with your previous riding experience.

A second option would be marathons where only one shoe are allowed. You agree to buy the shoe the race provides.

A third option is the equivalent of "bracket racing" where you have to post your expected finish time when you sign up. If you go faster you're eliminated. Closest to the finish time is the winner.

matt I support the "any shoe over $150 should be eliminated from being a BQ time" argument. I won't spend that much on a pair of running shoes. As for shoes about $150 being a reason for BQ unhappiness it also includes the Nike Pegasus 35 Turbo which is great because those look like Hoka One Ones. Also some Hoka shoes are $150+.

SC would you consider the Pegasus to be a stiff shoe? I swear it sounds like I'm tap dancing.

I'll be in rlk's neighborhood May 19. Signed up for Bay to Breakers with the extra 3K to get the super cool spinny medal thingy. Maybe I'll take NeRP. I heard they throw tortillas at the start and it's a giant party. I wonder what kind of beer (Coors Light) I can get along the course.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Speed Surplus

"It's cool that there are a couple people here flirting with sub-3 in the near future."

I'm not flirting with it, but I have a poster of it up on my bedroom wall like a horny teenager.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12