so, I'm trying to figure this part of distance running out (Read 156 times)

Daniel

How do I keep my nipples from feeling like they are going to fall off?

They are killing me and bleed.  Band-aids don't stay on, I put lotion on them, but they keep bleeding and hurt all day long.  What am I missing here?

Fluffman4

If bandaids aren't working then you may want to try something specific for lubricant, like AstroGlide, etc.

an amazing likeness

Often, changing the fabric of the shirts you're wearing this a good approach.  The problem comes from the shirt rubbing up and down as you bounce along running...so lighter shirts with softer fabric can help. Or tighter shirts that don't bounce. Some experimentation may help you find a solution there.

Then there are the Body Glides and other skin protectors.

Then, there are specialized nipple protection products -- google 'Nip Guards' as an example.

If bandaids aren't sticking and you want to stay with sticking something on, the athletic tapes -- designed to stick on sweaty skin -- work well...cutting a small strip of KT-Tape (or equiv.).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Runner

Transpore by 3m.  Can get 2 rolls on amazon for $5.   Best working stuff I've found.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Wear compression shirt.  Under Armor makes a good one.

Go topless

Daniel

Go topless

I thought about it, but when it's 20 degrees out I'm more worried about them falling off from frostbite.

gooey2goofy

Lube and shirt fabric works wonders!!  Try this companies shirts.  There are no running shirts that are softer - they use a bamboo thread.  While most of the customers/wearers are women, they do have a decent amount of men's styles.  If you have ever been to a RunDisney event you know will know them.

rawthreads.com

How do I keep my nipples from feeling like they are going to fall off?

They are killing me and bleed.  Band-aids don't stay on, I put lotion on them, but they keep bleeding and hurt all day long.  What am I missing here?

Blue Rocket

All systems Go!

I haven't tried the Transpore by 3M, but will in the future.

I have found that the brand name Band Aid Clear Spot or Sheer Spot bandages stick much better than the Walgreens brand of spot bandages. If the Band Aid brand is not sticking then you might try BSN Medical Leukotape P Sport Tape. This stuff really sticks. It uses a zinc oxide adhesive that is much more aggressive than ordinary sport tape. I use this stuff on my feet during humid, sweaty, summertime runs to prevent blisters and it stays put.

Another option is tincture of benzoin. Use this as an adhesive prep to make the skin around your nipple sticky before putting on the Band Aid Clear Spot. I've used the pump spray bottle and the individually wrapped cotton swabs -- swabs are easier to get through TSA at the airport. Let it dry for a couple of minutes before applying your bandage/tape of choice. Tincture of benzoin is another good addition to anyone's foot blister prevention kit. I use it on my toes before applying Hypafix or Cover-Roll Stretch, both by BSN Medical. This extremely thin tape is great to wrap around toes to prevent blisters and its a little stretchy to accommodate the toes as they expand over a long run/race.

Good luck.

hog4life

I use the round spot band aids from Dollar General, they're $1.75. I also keep the hair trimmed back or shaved around the nipple area so the band aid will stick. They do not come off!! Cheap fix, so give it a try.