Phoenix Resolution Run 5K (Read 448 times)

Dog-Love

This month I was able to run my virtual 5K in Arizona as I was at a meeting in Phoenix. I looked over their race calender and there was a 5K on January 7th. Now my running has been less then consistent and my knee has been giving me trouble (doctor appointment coming up) but I took 2 Ibuprufins and entered the Resolution Run out at the edge of town. It was a much bigger croud then we get in Juneau and the race was flat and the weather was warm (for me) Lots of people with hats and gloves on at the start though. I met 2 guys Ronnie and Monte who were both over 69 years old and still running marathons. The race went along a canal and through a botanical park near the zoo and was quite pretty. I didn't feel all that great at mile 2 (kind of hot actually) but I kept passing folks which is something that I rarely get to do in Juneau since our races are so small. I won 2nd in my age group and a medal and I was not expecting that at all with my time of 28:02. Now this is not a PR since in my 20s I could run a 5K in under 23, but since I am almost 50 I am going to call this my "new baseline" and consider this a PR. ANd from here I will try to improve! Are you all going to kick me out of RA for adjusting my PR? Wink
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
    va

Way to go Crabby! It sounds like a great race. I hope the doc can help you with your knee. (Imagine how well you'd run if your knee wan't bothering you! Shocked)
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Sounds like a new PR to me! Big grin Congrats!

Roads were made for journeys...

Hardly going to vote you off. The fact of the matter is that many races today have "Masters" (40+ yrs) and "Veterans" (50 yrs) categories. I will never run as fast as I did when I was in my 20s, but I do set my PRs based on my age-groups. So, you're just doing what nearly every other runner does. And btw--well done on your Master's PR!
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Dog-Love

Thanks you guys and I love the accolades from this RA group since when I came home to Juneau with my medal for 2nd place, my "serious" running group asked if there were only 2 racers in my age division! Sheeeesh!
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              Crabby, Congrats on your PR! So glad to see you pick up a well deserved medal and had a good time doing it. I would have been one the gals you would have passed and trounced since my PR in my 40's is behind you. So I know what you mean about passing folks which is something tht you rarely get to do. I try not to remember what I ran in my 20's. Wink Good job! Gayle

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble