What is your price limit for a 5k (day of registration) (Read 380 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I would pay up to $35 (at the MOST), but I'm an NYCer... and if it was a goal race on a great course then yeah. Otherwise, though, $25 is more reasonable.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

xhristopher

Slo, the race I'm running tomorrow has a no shirt option. Pre reg price is $12 and race day price is $25 & still no shirt.

Last night I ran a small local race that was a benefit for a scholarship. I signed up when I got there, it was only $20, and I still got a shirt. The start/finish was at a bar, which was nice and convenient for post-race beer. My bib # was 666, which was awesome.  I kind of wish all races were like that.

To answer the OP, though, I'd have a hard time going much beyond $30 for a 5k unless for whatever reason I really wanted to run that particular race.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

EpicErin

Epic Runner

Ooh man - If it was a really cool run (obstacles, mud, color, etc.) I might pay around $50. BUT I try to NEVER spend full price on a race. I did an article about Ways to Save Money on Races if you want to check it out: http://doepicruns.com/races/ways-to-save-money-on-race-registration/

Do Epic Runs

http://www.doepicruns.com/

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm not an RD but have volunteered my time for good deal of race committee's. Even if it's an inaugural race you have a fairly decent idea of what the turn out will be. You have past history to go by and what other local races draw. Unless your race is drastically different than anything else around I think you can guess 250, 350, 450...

I personally know of two races (I ran both), where race day registrations soared and that caused big problems. One was a 5K that expected about 250-300 runners max, so that's what they paid for timing. Runners finishing 301 to 428 were not too happy to not get official times because the timing was shut down after the 300th finisher which was all that had been contracted for.

Another was a marathon that had race day registration. Instead of 500-600 runners, they had 1200 show up. Being a 3 lap race, there was no water by the third lap. This was compounded by temps in the 70s in late November. The attrition rate was 75%. There were only about 300 official finishers. This was a race that had a long history too.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

$500.00    Check                                      Pretzel City Sports    Timing Company

Which race?  I'm in PA, so I do a lot of PCS events.

And with the way prices have been going up, I'd say $35-40 would the highest I would go for race-day registration...but it would have to be for a very good cause.

Slo

I personally know of two races (I ran both), where race day registrations soared and that caused big problems. One was a 5K that expected about 250-300 runners max, so that's what they paid for timing. Runners finishing 301 to 428 were not too happy to not get official times because the timing was shut down after the 300th finisher which was all that had been contracted for.

Sounds like a problem with the timing company. We contract too but it's a minimum charge which is about 250 runners. This makes sense as they need to make sure they get a decent return for their labors. After that it's a charge per runner. Extra runners means extra $$'s for both. The hassle then becomes a data entry issue.

We also had a issue with unexpected attendance in a race that was not chipped timed. As I mentioned in a different post...It was timed the old fashioned way and we ran out of bibs. We got thru it. Everyone who wanted an official time got one and everyone that wanted to compete in an age division got to. Cool heads prevail.

In a marathon you mean to tell me they didn't have time to go get more water and get it delivered on a multi lap course. If a great deal different if it's a single pass table and you are running out before all the runners are thru. This example sounds more like a problem with race management.

Look, you prepare for more than you expect and hope you get what you prepare for.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In a marathon you mean to tell me they didn't have time to go get more water and get it delivered on a multi lap course. If a great deal different if it's a single pass table and you are running out before all the runners are thru. This example sounds more like a problem with race management.

It was definitely a problem with race management but when registration remains open until 10 minutes before the race starts it wouldn't give them much time to react to the needs of additional runners. It also probably didn't occur to them because marathons were just then making it a standard to provide water on the course. The marathon I ran in the same city the year before didn't have aid stations. In an ironic incident one aid station was passing out grape Kool-Aid on lap 2, which is not only strange in itself, but this race was just a year after the Jonestown Massacre. The group putting on the race had their permits to hold races there revoked after all the fallout.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MrH

The NFL has created a series with each of its teams.

Pricing is the same across the board. Race day registration for an NFL 5k is $60.

Here's one example:

$35 (5/22/13 – 6/27/13)

$45 (6/28/13 – 8/20/13)

$55 (8/21/13 – 9/4/13)

$60 (Race Weekend – if available)

But you get your 5k finishers medal and a shirt.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.