Covid 19 (Read 115 times)

Luciplay

How are you guys dealing with the current pandemic in your area?

We're dealing with it by following the guidelines and restrictions.

I found a dead-end road no one goes on that makes for a nearly 9 mile out and back. That way I don't have to pull up my neck gaiter/face covering very often if at all. A couple cyclists a few times a week, but other than that it's just the rare car.

With the recent spike, I'm just staying home as much as possible, transitioning from the TV screen in the morning to the computer screen during the day and back to the TV screen at night, and getting fat.

55-59 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We live in the woods and have worked from home for 20 years, so to be honest, our life hasn't changed that much.  I know we're lucky.  It's my kids who are feeling the effects.  Two of them graduated from college in 2020 and life kind of sucks for them.  One can't find a job and the other lives in Beirut and has a Syrian girlfriend.  Once the GF graduates in December, they have to find a country that will accept both of them.  It was already going to be difficult before COVID, and now it looks almost impossible.

dhuffman63

Trails

I live in a very rural area.  I've WFH since March and like it.  Just DH and I.  No longer go out to eat and since I have kidney disease and an autoimmune disease I don't leave the house except for Dr. appts and only if I have to.  If more people would just wear a freaking mask I might be able to leave the house some.

wcrunner2

I'm out of ideas

Aside from people wearing masks, traffic being lighter than normal, and the local college campus being almost empty, I'm not seeing much difference.  Personally the main effect has been a lack of racing from March to September, and now another hiatus with PA travel restrictions with none nothing in the foreseeable future.  It also meant cancelling two summer vacation trips.  The latest restrictions also impacts family gatherings for the holidays; I won't be going to any.

2021 Races:

TBD - 6-hour

TBD - 12-hour

TBD - 50K

TBD - 24-hour (maybe)

Aside from people wearing masks, traffic being lighter than normal, and the local college campus being almost empty, I'm not seeing much difference.  Personally the main effect has been a lack of racing from March to September, and now another hiatus with PA travel restrictions with none nothing in the foreseeable future.  It also meant cancelling two summer vacation trips.  The latest restrictions also impacts family gatherings for the holidays; I won't be going to any.

I kind of like the virtual race thing; I can "race" when I feel good, any time of day, and not have to be at the top of my game at a specific date and time.

My work is mainly solo, design/build of one-off things; and income from commercial property rental. I have had almost zero effect from CV19 in that regard. In fact, one place put me on salary retainer, so I'm actually doing better.

I've always gone camping in the middle of nowhere as "vacations", so I haven't been affected much in that regard. I have noticed more noobs in these out of the way places, inspired by #vanlife and #instagramdouchebag videos and blogs online. Some of my "secret" spots in the Mojave Preserve, North Rim of grand canyon, and San Rafael Swell are now online with pictures and directions 🤬

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've always gone camping in the middle of nowhere as "vacations", so I haven't been affected much in that regard. I have noticed more noobs in these out of the way places, inspired by #vanlife and #instagramdouchebag videos and blogs online. Some of my "secret" spots in the Mojave Preserve, North Rim of grand canyon, and San Rafael Swell are now online with pictures and directions 🤬

Ha, true.  We have a camp in a remote part of Maine.  We swim in a lake where we hardly see ANY people.  This summer, we saw about five folks May through mid-August, over quite a few visits.  Even that was more than usual.  Our last trip mid-August, these two noobs wearing bike helmets (that was a first) showed up on the beach. They looked that they were from Manhattan or Boston.  Our two Australian shepherds were running around barking, and OMG the couple went ballistic and started yelling at me that I needed to get my dogs under control. They went on and on and on. I felt like saying, "Um, we're in the wilderness?  You see those moose tracks in the sand?"  And of course, as they got more worked up, the dogs barked more. Oh, well.  I will be glad when things get back to normal and people stay in Central Park.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm loving the lack of social distancing and mask wearing because it's nice out and people really don't care what the Governor says. After he told us we need to flatten the curve, we flattened it, and he didn't change anything I'm pretty sure people got over listening to him say anything. It's just an empty promise and everyone knows it at this point. I'm hoping the economy tanks, unemployment goes up, we don't get a federal bail out and the man gets ripped out of office by the unions who put him there. 2.5% mortality rate and he didn't remove any limits on capacity when cases were at their lowest and we did what he asked.

I'm doing great though. Working from home means I don't have to go into an office that I've recently learned made me mentally upset and physically ache just THINKING about going to. Grocery stores are back to normal (no more waiting in lines in 26F temps) except for Costco and people still go out running. I wish the city could approve a race or two because protests aren't approved and yet nothing ever stopped THOSE from happening. Just wear a mask at the start and show up if you're not afraid of catching COVID 19.

2020 Goal: Figure out the problem.

I think the working from home thing is going to stay; companies can make a lot more profit by not having to maintain large office buildings for people to sit in while staring at computer screen or making calls all day. They can do that at home, or even in their #campervan in the middle of nowhere (when Starlink becomes self-aware). Maybe that savings would translate into higher wages.

(just kidding! they'll probably pay less, and strip away any remaining benefits!)

Arimathea

Tessa

Hunkered down, staying home. I live in the most populous county in the most populous state in the US, so trying not to get too close to anyone is the plan of action.

I'm fortunate in that I can work 100% from home. Both my sons are currently unemployed, though, and need jobs.

And I haven't hugged my mother since March.

I do still run outside, with a buff to pull up over my face if anyone comes close.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think the working from home thing is going to stay; companies can make a lot more profit by not having to maintain large office buildings for people to sit in while staring at computer screen or making calls all day. They can do that at home, or even in their #campervan in the middle of nowhere (when Starlink becomes self-aware). Maybe that savings would translate into higher wages.

(just kidding! they'll probably pay less, and strip away any remaining benefits!)

I've telecommuted for over a decade for my white collar job - working from home is not uncommon in certain tech-centered industries.

What I've noted is that it comes and goes - everybody will shift towards remote for a few years (less real estate costs; easier to recruit and keep talent).  Then the pendulum shifts, and everyone shifts towards back to co-location (better collaboration).  IBM notoriously shifted from remote back to co-location a few years ago, as did Yahoo!

The pandemic accelerated the next shift towards remote work, but I have no doubt the pendulum will shift back.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlopez

So if the other discussion is wild west, is THIS the one where we have high tea?

wcrunner2

I'm out of ideas

So if the other discussion is wild west, is THIS the one where we have high tea?

Maybe the Easy Going East?

2021 Races:

TBD - 6-hour

TBD - 12-hour

TBD - 50K

TBD - 24-hour (maybe)

I've telecommuted for over a decade for my white collar job - working from home is not uncommon in certain tech-centered industries.

What I've noted is that it comes and goes - everybody will shift towards remote for a few years (less real estate costs; easier to recruit and keep talent).  Then the pendulum shifts, and everyone shifts towards back to co-location (better collaboration).  IBM notoriously shifted from remote back to co-location a few years ago, as did Yahoo!

The pandemic accelerated the next shift towards remote work, but I have no doubt the pendulum will shift back.

One aspect of co-location are the constant meetings. Meeting to schedule of meetings, meetings to decide what meetings should be about, meetings to discuss past meetings, meetings to discuss the process of scheduling meetings about future meetings, etc etc.

Stanford just completed a study showing that meetings are incredible time and money wasters, largely ineffective at improving work, completing tasks, or increasing profits. But most of us already knew this.

DavePNW

One aspect of co-location are the constant meetings. Meeting to schedule of meetings, meetings to decide what meetings should be about, meetings to discuss past meetings, meetings to discuss the process of scheduling meetings about future meetings, etc etc.

Stanford just completed a study showing that meetings are incredible time and money wasters, largely ineffective at improving work, completing tasks, or increasing profits. But most of us already knew this.

It has not been my experience that working remotely reduces meeting volume.

Dave