What To Do? (Read 707 times)

Philly Curse

So my first marathon ever is on Sunday..the Philadelphia Marathon. However in the last few weeks I've been experiencing some foot pain on the top of my foot. It has finally begun to become uncomfortable when I walk. After talkin to a friend..i was told this may be the beginning of a stress fracture. I feel that after the marathon I will most likely have a stress fracture. So what do i do? Run the race and risk the stress fracture... I really do not want to skip it, since Im paid up and trained. Any suggestions?

I'd recommend finding a sports massage therapist. A good one might be able to work out the problem.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Have you changed shoes lately, or tightened the laces tighter than usual? Check out this link:http://www.runnersworld.com/runnersbody/tool.html

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Philly Curse

My shoes just went over 300 miles...so i was planning on getting some new ones soon. Mine usually last around 500. Il try tightening the laces...thanks for the site. I know a good foot doctor so im going to get it checked out sometime soon as well.

Philly Curse

ok so here is my plan. Take some motrin the night before and morning of the race. Run with some orthodics in and complete the marathon. Then after completion take some time off from running to let it heal and get it checked out if pain persists. I will start biking or swimming for fitness until healed. How does that sound? ANy other suggestions?
            va

Hi Kyle, You're in pain, simply by walking, and you plan to take something to mask the pain, so that you can run a marathon. Sounds like a recipe for disaster...Consider getting your foot check-ed out and skipping this one...
                !! I don't think the suggestion was to tighten your laces. It was a question. If you have tightened your laces too tight you may be experiencing pain from that. I know this because it has happend to me a few times. I did not notice it when I was running but later that day and for the next few days I experienced pain on the top of my foot. It seems silly but it can hurt.. big time. Obviously this is not a big deal at all. Losten the laces for a day or two and see if it goes away. Good luck.
                Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD

Why is it sideways?

Hi Kyle, You're in pain, simply by walking, and you plan to take something to mask the pain, so that you can run a marathon. Sounds like a recipe for disaster...Consider getting your foot check-ed out and skipping this one...
                  Well said. Pick out another marathon in 4-6 weeks and run it. You'll still be in good shape, and you'll actually have a shot at running well. It would really be a waste of training to run yourself into a stress fracture. Is Sunday the last chance in your life to run a marathon? I thought you said it was your first!
                    So my first marathon ever is on Sunday..the Philadelphia Marathon. However in the last few weeks I've been experiencing some foot pain on the top of my foot. It has finally begun to become uncomfortable when I walk. After talkin to a friend..i was told this may be the beginning of a stress fracture. I feel that after the marathon I will most likely have a stress fracture. So what do i do? Run the race and risk the stress fracture... I really do not want to skip it, since Im paid up and trained. Any suggestions?
                    I had the the same issue. Problem for me was that I put my chip onto the eyelett of my shoe's instead of the laces and tighted it too fast, in turn putting pressure on the tendon on the top of the foot running over the 1st metarsal (spelling?) What I did was undo the laces right above where it was hurting and ice it before and after runs. Since it's so close to your marathon, you may want to rethink and do another one. You could probably run and finish Philly, but in alot of pain. BTW I was worried that I had a stress fracture or was getting one. I think it takes 8-10 days for the tendon to heal if that's what the problem is.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Philly Curse

Im going to ice it for the next few days and see how I feel. It may be the tendon, as it hurts in the same spot as rockenmamof5 explained. Also, some days it feels better than others, which makes me think of the tendon issue as well.