need training advice (Read 641 times)

Big Chicken!

This may get complicated. And it is kinda long. I have been running only since May 17, 2007, less than a year. I began using Couch to 5K and loved it. I have improved from running 15mm on a good day Roll eyes, to about 12mm. DH signed me up for a marathon (surprise!) and so I trained for that using a run/walk program (John Bingham Marathon for Mortals run/walk). As usual, training didn't go according to plan. DH was gone often, weather sucked, life and kid issues, etc. Marathon was in January and I did finish but my feet cramped up badly. I took a couple weeks off and then ran just a bit for the next two weeks after that. I have been back to running regularly again, training for a 15K in May (my excuse for going home stateside for a bit). I am using the Bingham run/walk training program for half-marathon to get me through this. (I prefer run/walk to just run. My form sucks, I am incredibly slow and I go further and longer using the r/w method. 12mm vs. 14 or 15mm. It makes me happy and I have no intention of changing anytime in the near future.) My longest run is 10 miles 2 weeks (or maybe 3) before the race. Here's my issue. I have been asked to coach a C25K program for the spouses here on base. We begin next week. I do not want to overtrain my body and become injured. I really want to help these ladies, about half of whom are very overweight. I won't be doing any fast running. The longest we go (for those not familiar) is 30 minutes of running at the end of the program. The rest is walk/run to run/walk to running longer intervals to all running. We run 3x per week. This is not enough to get me through a 15K. How should I proceed? Should I continue on with my normal scheduled run for the day at least twice, then the long run on Saturday? I don't normally do speed work (not ready yet, I don't think). Should I do my regular runs on the non-C25K days then my Saturday long run? That gives me one full day off (Sunday). Suggestions? Thanks!!
    Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Beatin' on the Rock

Should I do my regular runs on the non-C25K days then my Saturday long run? That gives me one full day off (Sunday).
      $.02 Yes, I think. I am about where you are in the post C25K training, and I believe those C25K runs aren't going to be much training for you - more like a pleasant walk in the park, chatting with pals. Maybe don't even call them runs? You won't be anywhere near your normal pace, at least not for many weeks. Will be time consuming, though it sounds like uplifting fun!
      Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
        Not knowing more than I can read in your post, I think you ought to consider finding a way to squeeze it in. In the long run (no pun), it will deepen your connection to the sport. You might also be flattered that they asked. Short Story - A friend who was training for a half marathon needed help getting through 8, 9, 10, 11 mile runs in prep for her race. At the same time, I was scheduled to do 13, 15, 17 etc in prep for a full. Her pace was about 2 minutes slower than mine. My first thought was that it would hamper my plans. But I decided to join her through her runs at her pace,wave good bye,, then continue to finish my long runs at my pace. I don't think I lost much from my training. In the end, I was grateful to have the chance to help in a small way. Maybe you can plan it so that after your session with the newcomers,, you can then continue on your planned run. Once again, I don't know how limiting your schedule is or any other factors you must consider. my .02
        JakeKnight

Short Story - A friend who was training for a half marathon needed help getting through 8, 9, 10, 11 mile runs in prep for her race. At the same time, I was scheduled to do 13, 15, 17 etc in prep for a full. Her pace was about 2 minutes slower than mine. My first thought was that it would hamper my plans. But I decided to join her through her runs at her pace,wave good bye,, then continue to finish my long runs at my pace. I don't think I lost much from my training.
          What he said. Any reason you can't just use your runs with the C25K group as warm-ups for your own runs? Wouldn't that just give you some nice 30 minute warm-ups before you ran longer at your own pace? You might find it actually benefits you to be forced to run a few slower miles at the start of your longer runs.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Big Chicken!

Thanks for all the advice. JK~I am not that strong of a runner so perhaps I'll just add some of my regular time to the end of the C25K runs. And still keep one regular "all mine" runs plus the Saturday long run. A full 30 minute warm-up PLUS another 40-60 minutes (depending on day) is stretching my schedule (and my son in the stroller's patience) to the furthest extreme.
            Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
              First of all, congratulations on continuing to run after what must have been a very challenging experience with the marathon. Letting someone talk you into doing a race you aren't prepared for is one of the quickest ways to lose interest in running. I would suggest using your C25K coaching time as a warm-up for your training. It would not be a good idea to do a second run during the day nor would it be good to squeeze them into your off days. Rest and recovery time is every bit as important as training time and the less experienced you are, the more recovery time you need. Also, make sure your C25K participants realize that the limited amount of running they will be doing will contribute little or nothing toward weight loss. In fact, some of them will actually gain weight do to an increase in appetite. They will need to reduce their calorie intake as well as exercise to lose weight. Tom

Beatin' on the Rock

Also, make sure your C25K participants realize that the limited amount of running they will be doing will contribute little or nothing toward weight loss. In fact, some of them will actually gain weight do to an increase in appetite. They will need to reduce their calorie intake as well as exercise to lose weight. Tom
                I was very surprised by this fact. It seems some people DO lose weight just by adding a running routine to their lives. And some of us can run 20 mpw and ... nada. Might be a good point to reiterate to your newbies!
                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                JakeKnight

They will need to reduce their calorie intake as well as exercise to lose weight.
                  No, they won't. Some might. They may need to maintain current caloric intake. If their intake remains stable - assuming a stable current weight - they'll lose weight. Period. If they eat too much to the extent that their taking in more than the calories burned through exercise, they'll remain stable or gain. But running, even in moderation, promotes weight loss, if all other variables remain constant. Obviously. And I'd be very careful about cutting calories when beginning a training program, unless you're doctor tells you to do exactly that. Especially if you aren't overweight to begin with. You need fuel to run. And there are no blanket generalizations. A statement like "they will need to" couldn't be more wrong. Some may need to. Some may actually need to up their calories. Some runners drop dramatic weight at relatively low mileage. Some gain weight (because they're eating too much).

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

No, they won't. Some might. They may need to maintain current caloric intake. If their intake remains stable - assuming a stable current weight - they'll lose weight. Period.
                    I burn 1,500 calories on a 10 miler, according to Garmin. My bathroom scales agree with you, my weight is dropping.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius