Upload via email (Read 967 times)

nulall

I'd love to be able to upload my GPX files via email.

I have a Palm Pre that I use during my runs - I'm not sure if it is similar for other phones, but one of the primary export means for GPX files is via email; it would be awesome to set the program to just email my GPX files to runningahead and have them imported.

Please Smile

eric :)

nulall,
      This is a good idea, but it is beyond the scope and my resources right now.  I'll consider it when I have more resources.

Eric:

Why don't you just cut to developing something where I can mentally upload run run details to my log.

Wink

Buffet Runner

Just wanted to put in another plug for this feature request.  Maybe someday down the road this will be possible.  

I ran across the feature because I've been looking to use MapMyTracks.com to show my live position on the web.  Unfortunately their app doesn't find my blackberry GPS, but while trying to trouble shoot I did see that they have upload via e-mail there.  http://www.mapmytracks.com/profile/dropbox/ 

While this won't help me show up live on their website i did think this is functionality that would be GREAT to have here at RunningAHEAD.

Thanks again for all that you do!  This site really is nice!

TomClem

Yeah, this could be done by setting up a mail server. The mail server would use everyone's current username, e.g. lvleph@runningahead.com. When mail shows up, it would parse the email looking for the GPX file (easy perl script). Once it finds the GPX file the standard import function takes over. I could be overlooking something here.

Yeah, this could be done by setting up a mail server. The mail server would use everyone's current username, e.g. lvleph@runningahead.com. When mail shows up, it would parse the email looking for the GPX file (easy perl script). Once it finds the GPX file the standard import function takes over. I could be overlooking something here.

Converting an email server to do that is not straight forward.

Why is there interest in doing things via email?  If you have email access, you probably have web access so why not go straight to the source?  If not, I'm sure we can whip up an app for that.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I often do a lot of email offline while on the road and unconnected.

That said, you'd need a security measure in place ir I could just start emailing funky workouts to lvleph's profile

Yeah, blogspot uses something like lvleph+secretword@blogspot.com

I often do a lot of email offline while on the road and unconnected.

That said, you'd need a security measure in place ir I could just start emailing funky workouts to lvleph's profile

Using technologies in ways they're not designed to be used is not a good idea.

Using technologies in ways they're not designed to be used is not a good idea.

Nonsense, this is when one discovers really cool stuff.

xor

I already know lots of Fun With SMTP stuff.  Open up a mail server somewhere, especially one using unix sendmail, and I'll teach you some really cool stuff.

Nonsense, this is when one discovers really cool stuff.

No thanks.  I don't need another vulnerability in my life.

I already know lots of Fun With SMTP stuff.  Open up a mail server somewhere, especially one using unix sendmail, and I'll teach you some really cool stuff.

Can you tell me instead of showing me?

From Cisco

Sendmail versions 5.79 through 8.12.7 contain a buffer overflow vulnerability that can allow a remote attacker to gain increased privileges. An attacker may remotely exploit the vulnerability to gain root or superuser control of any vulnerable Sendmail server. Firewalls, packet filters and other security devices do not adequately protect the system because the attack arrives in a seemingly innocuous e-mail. The attacker does not need any specific information about the target to be able to exploit the flaw. The remote vulnerability exists in the processing of e-mail header fields during a SMTP transaction. Fields that contain addresses or lists of addresses may be passed to the functions to determine the validity of the addresses. The static buffer that is used to store the data may become full and stop receiving characters. A security check used to ensure that parsing continues correctly is flawed. It is this flaw that a malicious e-mail may exploit to trigger the buffer overflow. Patches are available.

xor

Nah, I was just trying to be all threatening and stuff.  I'm betting you know way more about it than I do. 

Well, maybe not "sendmail" specifically.  That is one of the freakier (to me) of the old school unix pieces.

(which is why, of course, it has so many vulnerabilities.  It has been patched so much, you'd have a better chance getting off the island in the minnow.  And, no, I don't really know what that means)