Does the mojo come back? (Read 784 times)

fimmx

Question for you long time runners who went through a slump - did you have a period where you just didn't feel like running but you did anyway - and then the joy of it came back? I'm not really looking for a kick in the butt, I still run every day, it just feels blah more than wow and I'm waiting for the blahs to pass!

I can't really blame it on the weather - at least not that much. In sunny CA, in the Bay Area, it never really gets too bad. I can't really blame it on any injuries. The little niggles are there, but they pass within a mile or so. I PR'ed in my last marathon and need to start on the next plan in a couple of weeks, but am sorta dreading training through the blahs!

Anyone got a cure for the running blahs?

Future running partner.

Did you take a break after your last marathon? If so how long? I found that after a long period of training that after the peak race even if its only a 5k, that a week or two off can give me a mental recharge before starting back up on a long term program. You don't loose much fitness in one or two weeks after you've have had a long period of steady consistent training and what you do loose comes back fairly quickly. Another way I get over the those blahs is when I set up a new training plan, I like to try and change things up a bit from the previous one, especially by correcting mistakes and tweaking it more to your physical needs. This way I get more excited about doing it.

I can't say I am a "long-time runner" since I only just started running in 2009. However, I fell in love hard and fast, and ran my first half marathon in 2009 and then my first full in 2010 along with a bunch of shorter distances that year. However, after the marathon I went through a SERIOUS episode of post-marathon depression and swore off running pretty much all of 2011. I thought I was done for good.

Then, I spectated the same marathon in 2011 which I had run the year before, and felt a stabbing pain of jealousy that I wasn't out there. I immediately looked for a way to get more motivated, which ended up being Team in Training. Fast forward to today, and I've done 3 marathons in 2012 and I'm planning on running some ultras next year.

I guess my long winded answer is that sometimes it's not a bad thing to take a break.  If I had pushed myself to keep going all of 2011, I probably would have resented it and hated running and maybe even stopped for good.  Find a race to spectate/volunteer/cheer, instead of running it. Find a good cause to run for. Find some goal races that you need to push yourself past your comfort zone (you probably already do this one...) I second the structured training plan route because that really helps me stay motivated even on some days that I just feel like sitting at home.  Also, find some new routes to run on. Easier said than done, but I just started running on some new trails and it's fun every time. 

Hope you find your mojo again soon! 

kcam

I'll tell you that going from marathon training cycle to marathon training cycle with nothing else in between gets really monotonous and tedious.  Marathon training is long, boring and risk of injury high.  You just finish one and you're immediately staring into the gaping maw of another 6-12 weeks of Sunday morning 20 milers and attendant workouts.  Why not train for and run some other distances instead of jumping right into another marathon 'plan'?  

You're in the Bay Area - there are so many opportunities to do different things every weekend. Trail races, road races, track, low-key club races (these are free or next-to-free), marathons .  Get out there and enjoy the smorgasboard of running opportunities we have here!

You're in the Bay Area - there are so many opportunities to do different things every weekend. Trail races, road races, track, low-key club races (these are free or next-to-free), marathons .  Get out there and enjoy the smorgasboard of running opportunities we have here!

+1

I don't know about your coast, but over here in the Boston area we have low key races every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday that start and end at various pubs...these were what got me into running when I was first starting and even now I might not always feel like going out for a hill workout, but a trip to the pub: that I can manage.

kcam

+1

I don't know about your coast, but over here in the Boston area we have low key races every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday that start and end at various pubs...these were what got me into running when I was first starting and even now I might not always feel like going out for a hill workout, but a trip to the pub: that I can manage.

Never mind.  I don't want to derail the thread.

DoppleBock

Change - If you are a road warrior - Take a few weeks and run trails - Beautiful trails by you.  Train for an upcoming trail 50k. 

Question for you long time runners who went through a slump - did you have a period where you just didn't feel like running but you did anyway (yes)- and then the joy of it came back? (yes)-        I'm not really looking for a kick in the butt, I still run every day, it just feels blah more than wow and I'm waiting for the blahs to pass!

I can't really blame it on the weather - at least not that much. In sunny CA, in the Bay Area, it never really gets too bad. I can't really blame it on any injuries. The little niggles are there, but they pass within a mile or so. I PR'ed in my last marathon and need to start on the next plan in a couple of weeks, but am sorta dreading training through the blahs!

Anyone got a cure for the running blahs?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

fimmx

Thanks everyone! I should have mentioned that my marathon was back in oct so I've been slumped for a while now. While out this evening I was trying to pinpoint what was bugging me about running and realized that my quad has been hurting badly enough over the last few days that it has changed my gait and that's why it wasn't feeling as smooth any more. It's not the only cause though but once I resolve this, I'm optimistic. Hanging out here and reading about y'all helps too. Thanks! Smile

P.s. I'm a rwol refugee and here emoticons work on the iPad! YEEEHAAAA

Julia1971

I get the blahs at some point in every marathon cycle.  I also went through a slump a few years ago when I was running a lot in the summer, focusing on speed, but not getting any faster.  Off the top of my head, here are a few things helped me get back on track.

1.  Make sure it's not something physical.  I've learned that sometimes I get the blahs because I'm dehydrated, sleep deprived, or otherwise sabotaging my workouts.

2.  Expect it.  I think I posted about my summer slump and someone replied - in essence - if you run long enough you're going to get the blahs.  Suck it up and keep running until they go away.

3.  Always have a motivator.  When I'm marathon training, my time goal is the main motivator.  I know if I don't get out there and run, I'm not going to hit that time.  I do have a few weeks a year when I'm not really training for anything.  But even then, I'm thinking about the other things I eventually want to do.  Some of them are race related (I'd like to be the women's winner in a race someday) but others are not (I want to run a 100 mile week some day).

Hope you find your way out of it.  And, yeah, how can you complain running in California?  Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I try to keep a lot of variety in my training and racing. I also change focus every few years from track to short road races to longer road races. I also try to include a couple training runs with my club each week for the social aspect. A long run in the park or on rural roads with friends makes a big difference for me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

yweuishdf

No reason provided

We all go through times when for one reason or another we don't feel like running. You should ask yourself if there might be a specific reason. Are you tired, over-trained or depressed for example? If it's something like that then you need to try to fix the root cause.

If not then sometimes it's a good idea just to take a break for a bit. But it's good to do some kind of exercise. Try hiking, cycling/mountain biking, weights, yoga, swimming...

Hi Fimmx - I'm in a slump too. I think the end of the 2012 game came right when I had my last race, and it wasn't a pretty race either. Plus my hamstrings have been bugging me for a year. For me, I also have the cold weather. So I decided to take Nov and December and just run what I wanted with no schedule. Big mistake. I've really fallen off my mileage and am struggling to get back to it. However, I will say that my hamstrings are much happier. Fortunately, I've been rowing, so I haven't become a total slug. Good for you that you have kept running through it all. Hopefully the 2013 game will get me back on track. Are you signed up again for that?

Intentionally Blank

Good advice here.  Here are my thoughts:

1. Motivation comes after action.  Sometimes you just gotta do it, and then you'll feel like doing it.

2.  Think of of running as a lifetime project, not just from race to race.  What's going to work today in the scheme of your lifetime running?  In 2011, my goal was to forget about times and mileage and just run around and have fun.  It worked very well, and I felt way less stress and burnout.  My times slowed a bit, but it was worth it.

Wandering Wally

Like Doppebock said - Change it up.  Hit a new-to-you trail, go run at a different time of day, or even take a few days off entirely and go ride a bike, rollerblade, go for a hike, or anything other than running.  Sometimes are mind needs a break as much as our body and changing things up provides that mental break.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast