Push ups and back pain (Read 6362 times)

Hi all, It seems that every time I start doing push-ups or do the plank for my abs, after a week or so, I develop lower back pain. So I stop doing them or any core exercises. I do focus on keeping my back straight while doing the exercise. Has anyone experienced this? Any tips on how to avoid this? Thanks, - Ronald
      Are you using teh stability ball for any of your core exercises. I found it worked great.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

You may want to concentrate on just doing abs/core workouts for a while and skip the push-ups. Alternately, you could do knee push-ups, which although easier on the arms are also easier on the back. Good luck in getting it sorted out!

Roads were made for journeys...

I started the push-up challenge 4 weeks ago and I had some bad back pains during the first week or so, and then they just went away. Maybe it's a matter of your body adjusting?

Michelle

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to focus on abs for a bit as Wingz suggested and try push-ups again after a while. I don't think it's going to get better with time if I keep doing them, they actually appeared after a few weeks and were just getting worse. As for the stability ball, I use them whenever I'm at the gym but I don't have one at home. Those things are just too big for our small place. I was also contemplating getting one to use as a chair at work. But I think I'm going to wait 'til my back is better first. - R
              As people always say with running, just do less of them. It sounds like your lower back is the weak link, so do half or a third of the amount of core work you were doing, and build up. It works with any physical conditioning workouts, not just running. I was talking to a guy I know who does powerlifting a few years ago and was amazed at how similar the training periodization cycles were.
                I learned to do a modified push-up, legs bent feet over lap and resting on my knees. I find this much more comfortable on my back.
                As people always say with running, just do less of them. It sounds like your lower back is the weak link, so do half or a third of the amount of core work you were doing, and build up. It works with any physical conditioning workouts, not just running. I was talking to a guy I know who does powerlifting a few years ago and was amazed at how similar the training periodization cycles were.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

I'm glad you posted this. I've been doing the pushup challenge and made it through 4 weeks fine. Now that I hit week five though I've had excruciating back pain. On Sunday after the week 5 exhaution test my back got sore at night but was fine but Monday morning. Then Monday afternoon I did workout 1 (which kicked my butt). I woke up Tueday and couldn't even get out of bed. Even today it is still really painful, though I can move around a bit if I' careful. I didn't know what would cause such sudden and intense back pain like this, but maybe it's the pushups. I guess I need to cut back on the challenge a bit if I want to be able to live my normal life.
                    I always do about 30 minutes of yoga sit ups on my yoga mat with feet up on a wall which really isolates the abs and is easy on the back, then move to my stability ball and move around doing crunches at different angles to get loose, so in other words I warm up my abs, then I flip over and do pushups and they are so easy, in the army you need to do about 50 push ups in a two minute time, so my goal starts there.
                    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Back pain. I dropped the yoga and went with pilates with KARON KARTER. It really has made a difference with the lower back pain.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

ymmv

If you're having back pain, how's your posture while doing the pushups? If someone lays a yardstick lengthwise on you, it should touch in 3 places: back of your head, between your shoulder blades and on your butt.
                        HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Alternately, you could do knee push-ups, which although easier on the arms are also easier on the back.
                          This works well for me. I use push up handles to elevate up a bit - I don't think this eases up that much on the arms - you will still get strong/toned and you save your back.

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)

Best Present Ever

I would get back pain (more discomfort than actual pain) in the same way after plank, push ups and long runs. Adding back extensions to my core routine took care of it pretty quickly. I either do them on a stability ball on or the back extension thing-y at the gym.
                            bot660

I need help after i do 1-4 pushups my lower backs is in so much pain i cant do them for a day im 13 and weigh about 150 pounds and 5'10 plz help i want to become stronger