Bit of a nightmare - advise needed!!! What speed should i be running at??? (Read 1090 times)

Hawt and sexy

Go back to Feb. '06 in my log. My 1st marathon was in Oct. of '06. I needed a HRM, but I got it done in the time frame you are trying. That will show you one way to get the job done. Personally, I don't like Galloway or Hal Higdon plans as they do too much too soon. Elites sometimes forget what it's like to be a nonrunner. Try Lyndaird or Pfitzinger, but without any of the time/pace recommendations. Just stay easy for the first marathon. You will do another one, they are addictive.

I'm touching your pants.

I reckon that you are really gutsy for trying for a marathon already - I'd be terrified! But consider the fact that you still have decades of running to do. Maybe take it slow and leave something for later? Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it and get through it injury free!
        Go back to Feb. '06 in my log. My 1st marathon was in Oct. of '06. I needed a HRM, but I got it done in the time frame you are trying. That will show you one way to get the job done. Personally, I don't like Galloway or Hal Higdon plans as they do too much too soon. Elites sometimes forget what it's like to be a nonrunner. Try Lyndaird or Pfitzinger, but without any of the time/pace recommendations. Just stay easy for the first marathon. You will do another one, they are addictive.
        Willamona, I was always under the impression that the Lyndaird and Pfitzinger were high mileage plans better suited for more experienced runners. I haven't trained for a marathon yet, but I will be soon. Just want to see if I'm missing something. Smile If you don't mind explaining a bit more, that would be great. (Haven't checked out your log yet but I will.) Good luck this weekend on your race!

Amy

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The finish line should be your second goal. The start line your first. Run slow ,build a base and stretch to prevent injuries. Consider a half and a full around Jan.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I agree with Tom on the training part. Set aside the marathon plans for this year and concentrate on building up a good base with a lot of long slow distance to work on your aerobic system. After that, then you could consider a marathon.
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

The Greatest of All Time

I was always under the impression that the Lyndaird and Pfitzinger were high mileage plans better suited for more experienced runners.
              Pfitzinger has plans for <40,>60 miles per week. See Road Racing for Serious Runners . This is a pretty basic and small book that covers training from 5K races up to Marathon distance. IMHO, it's better than Galloway (from what I remember). </40,>
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                Pfitzinger has plans for <40,>60 miles per week. See Road Racing of for Serious Runners . This is a pretty basic and small book that covers training from 5K races up to Marathon distance. IMHO, it's better than Galloway (from what I remember).</40,>
                Thank you, Marcus! That clears things up for me. Smile

Amy