Race Bandits (Read 1312 times)

A Saucy Wench

Anyone know of a good race in portland?

dozens, just not PDX marathon

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

BANNED FOR LIFE

Must be a Seinfeld fan, his version of NO SOUP FOR YOU

Imminent Catastrophe

Anyone know of a good race in portland?

WHich one?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I hear the RD for the Flying Monkey Marathon, if you actually finish the thing, he will also make sure you are BANNED FOR LIFE.

Trick question.  No one has ever finished that crappy little race -- it's a ploy to keep providing "human" sacrifices to the monkeys so the villagers will be spared.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm not sure if this relates to most of the thread so far, but...a few years ago I signed up for a race online and paid the entry fee.  I had one of my friends pick up my number when he got his the day before the race to bring to the start for me because I was busy.  He ended up getting wasted the night before the race, lost his phone and never made it to the race.  So I ran the race without my number.  Was I a bandit because I wasn't wearing my number and chip or was it legit to run the race because I paid for it?

It was a 5k so there really isn't any reason to use the water stop even if they do provide one but I did sneak into the corral, run on a closed course and drink the "free" (included in race fee) beer at the end.

Not a bandit; just in the awkward position of not being able to prove that you weren't a bandit.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Trick question.  No one has ever finished that crappy little race -- it's a ploy to keep providing "human" sacrifices to the monkeys so the villagers will be spared.

I believe the adjective for the race is rinky-dink, not crappy.

bas.

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but what is the etiquette regarding people who discard clothes before the start of a race?  Is this ok? 

I know some races state before hand that they will collect all discarded clothes for donation.  That sounds nice.  But without that provision, I worry it just seems like littering.

Since it is comet season how about we start the debates again over whether women should wear running skirts.  I mean boxing skirts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Boxing-federation-wants-female-boxers-to-wear-sk?urn=oly-wp850

bas.

Sorry, my question was genuine.  Didn't mean to be annoying.

an amazing likeness

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but what is the etiquette regarding people who discard clothes before the start of a race?  Is this ok? 

I know some races state before hand that they will collect all discarded clothes for donation.  That sounds nice.  But without that provision, I worry it just seems like littering.

In my experience (limited as it is), most races plan for discards and sweep the course post race, separately, or as they pick up cones and such. Some races have designated "drop zones" where they encourage runners to shed toss gear. At a recent race they made the effort to collect drop clothes at the first aid station and actually brought it all back to the finish so runners could paw through and find their stuff if they wanted it back. (or upgrade to new stuff I suppose)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

Sorry, my question was genuine.  Didn't mean to be annoying.

Not annoying.  I've wondered too.  I have a tendency to toss those cheapy cotton gloves on the course after my hands thaw out.  If I can't find a trash can, I try to do it near an aid station at least.  I figure if they will throw them away at least they will rake up easy with the paper cups.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Since it is comet season how about we start the debates again over whether women should wear running skirts.  I mean boxing skirts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Boxing-federation-wants-female-boxers-to-wear-sk?urn=oly-wp850

Runners run

bas.

Thanks for the responses to my (off topic) question.  Very helpful!

Scout7

Not annoying.  I've wondered too.  I have a tendency to toss those cheapy cotton gloves on the course after my hands thaw out.  If I can't find a trash can, I try to do it near an aid station at least.  I figure if they will throw them away at least they will rake up easy with the paper cups.

I always liked to keep those gloves.  I would just tuck them into the back of my shorts.

Actually, I don't know that I've ever discarded any clothing on the course....

At Twin Cities last year, I discarded my over-large "Minnesota" T-shirt about a mile in.  Rolled it up, took aim at a sidewalk trash can from the middle of the street, and made a throw Tavaris Jackson would have been proud of.  (Which is to say, I missed the can by a wide margin.)

Pretty sure TCM expects cast-off stuff and plans for its cleanup.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau