Arch Sleeves (Read 78 times)

illinois68

TP Therapy Starter Kit, Rubz ball, and Altra running shoes... and sorry for the novel...

I went through a bad spell of PF several years ago and it lasted two years until the local running store demoed the TP Therapy Starter Kit. For the first time in two years, I was nearly pain-free after just the demo. I bought the kit and worked my calves once a day for two weeks and it was gone.

I ran for years with minimal pain. My mileage hovered between 30-50 miles per week. If I felt a little ache, I hit the TP Therapy again. I went well until both my dogs that I had for 13 yrs passed away 37 days apart. Then I lost the desire to run. I'd join my kids and wife for an occasional 5k or 10k race, but with little to no training. But I injured my the front left heal where the PF attaches really bad when I stupidly did a half marathon with only 7 days of training. It swelled and I couldn't walk very well for month. I rested it for four months and then started training for in earnest again and after three weeks I had to shut it down.

I switched to Hoka shoes to wear at work and it helped. But it didn't go away. I felt it with nearly every stride and on days I was on my feet all day, the swelling would return. I bought the Icebug insoles, the thickest ones and it helped tremendously. But it didn't go away and swelling happened on the days I was on my feet all day. Even had custom orthotics made. I had more pain than with the Icebugs, so I went back to the Icebugs. During this whole time, I recognized that I did not have any pain when I walked around the house barefoot (even on the concrete floor of the basement. Then I read about Altra running shoes and zero drop (like walking barefoot).

Fall 2017, I bought a pair of Altra Paradigm 3.0 shoes. I went with the insole that came with them. I had even less pain than with the Icebugs. I wore the Paradigms for work and home. As time passed, the pain reduced to only upon getting out the bed in the morning.

In late April of this year, I bought a pair of Altra Escalante shoes. I did a 3-mile run/walk. A little pain, but not bad. I didn't quite trust them. I took a few of weeks off, then one morning decided to run/walk at 5 AM. It went well, so I ran again a couple days later.

In early June, I saw a deal on Altra Torin 3.0 shoes and bought two pairs. One for work and one for running. These feel good. I have run 26 miles so far this month and had my longest continuous run tonight. I still use the TP Therapy kit every couple days and the Rubz ball nearly every day before I step out of bed. I also ride my road bike for 16-20 miles once a week. The bicycling seems to help me lock in a better cadence for running with the Altras.

But I'm finally running again. Well enough that I even registered for the Bix 7 on July 28. Now it is a slow build up of mileage and planned rest. If the Bix 7 goes well, I'll build over 8 weeks for the Quad Cities Half Marathon.

But I'm running again.

Excellent!

I wore the original Altra Olympus for a while, pre-dating my achilles and PF issues. I tried the Lone Peak, but it wouldn't hold my foot in place. I haven't tried any after that, because of my achilles issue. BUT, I'm getting curious again!

My bought with PF involved recovery via Hoka Stinson ATR and Sole Dean Karnzes insoles, along with rolling on a LaCrosse ball with nearly all my weight (OUCH!). And I wore cheap Strutz arch support bands for instant relief. As I got better, the rigid insoles started to hurt more than they helped, and I transitioned back to stock Hoka insoles. It took me almost 6 months until there was no indication of pain anymore.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying