how long does it take to become a trail runner (Read 262 times)

Just a dude.

It's the Moab marathon (but just the half version). Elevation looks big, to me, but maybe not for you all.

elevation

Also, I'm a sea level person, so oxygen might be a bit of a problem.

So, basically a 900 foot climb in 4 miles. That's definitely a hill, but not a killer. Some of the hill towards the end might be steep enough that walking is faster than running.

Moab will probably not have a lot of roots, but tons of rocks. I recommend getting some work on uneven terrain. Especially while running downhill.

If you start of conservatively that will help with everything. The trail, the hills, the elevation, etc. Also, not sure where you are, but hydration will probably be a killer. It's very dry there.

Good luck! I bet you have a great time!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Gator eye

as long as it takes you to buy a buff and a pair of salomons....

Damn! I got the buff but no saloons. So close

SubDood

Northernman,

There is a 25K trail run on July 4 in Afton, MN. It might give you a taste without having to travel far. Only about 200 feet elevation change, but you do it 8 times. I'm walking up the hills by the end. Scenic, great group of people. Huge range of ability levels.

I will bring extra beers for you.

runlikeagirI

Northernman,

There is a 25K trail run on July 4 in Afton, MN. It might give you a taste without having to travel far. Only about 200 feet elevation change, but you do it 8 times. I'm walking up the hills by the end. Scenic, great group of people. Huge range of ability levels.

I was just about to call you the biggest liar on the planet.. then I read the second half of that sentence.  Ha!

rlopez

Side note, when talking about hills/elevation in a race, we typically talk about the gain (the going up part) as an isolated thing... if there's a lot of loss (the downhill bits), we might mention that too.  Elevation "change" is a spooky number because sometimes that that's the up number plus the down number... which makes for a Big Number that doesn't really say much. And sometimes it is the up number minus the down number... which makes for a number that says almost nothing.  A loop or out-and-back course likely has a net elevation of change of 0 - what goes up must come down.  But there's a big difference between a pancake flat course in Florida and a course with 10,000 feet of climbing and 10,000 feet of descending.

Not sure what Afton has, but that is a well loved race on a cool course.

delicate flower

As a road runner who's done maybe a dozen short trail races (ranging from 5K to 8K), I feel my grand total of one training run on trails has served me well.

<3

northernman

Fight The Future

Northernman,

very tempting, but I wonder if it would be a bit too much too soon after running Grandma's marathon last Sunday. Still, though, extra beers.....

Edited: Looks like it's sold out. OK, maybe next year

Not quite right

As a trail runner the rarely sees the road. My advice when switching is shoes with traction and the mindset you will be walking the steep up hills. I am in WA state so our trails/races always have fair amount elevation. Also this is the type of running where you can't find a groove and get into a zone out for 10 miles at a steady pace. It's trail running roots hills rocks and the great outdoors slow down a little and enjoy yourself !!!! As for becoming a trail runner find a trail run on it and you are trail runner. No special hand shake ect we are just like the normal running open to all. No need to grow a beard out and eat bus load of granola just run on a trail Smile

SubDood

Sorry to hear you won't make it this year, northernman. If you decide to run it next year, send me a message.

Regarding elevation terminology,

Side note, when talking about hills/elevation in a race, we typically talk about the gain (the going up part) as an isolated thing... if there's a lot of loss (the downhill bits), we might mention that too.  Elevation "change" is a spooky number because sometimes that that's the up number plus the down number... which makes for a Big Number that doesn't really say much. And sometimes it is the up number minus the down number... which makes for a number that says almost nothing.  A loop or out-and-back course likely has a net elevation of change of 0 - what goes up must come down.  But there's a big difference between a pancake flat course in Florida and a course with 10,000 feet of climbing and 10,000 feet of descending.

Not sure what Afton has, but that is a well loved race on a cool course.

Yes ^^. I was careless above in using the phrase "elevation change" without really knowing the definition. Thanks, srlopez. I've only run a few trail races, and Afton is one of them. What I was trying to convey was this:

Afton Elevation Profile

I'm really looking forward to this!

NHLA

NHLA

Trails go from easy to most difficult in pic.

Easy to hard trails  You can learn to run pretty soon but most difficult downhill takes time.

some call me Tim

Note on staying upright from my own experience:

I got a lot of benefit out of learning to walk along (not do tricks) a slack line that I bought for my kids. I strung it about a foot high between two trees and I'd just spend 10 or 15 minutes on it after runs last season and it made a big difference. It took maybe a week to get used to it, then after that I still tripped occasionally on super technical (east coast rooty) courses, but always righted myself before falling.