How much is too much? (Read 1975 times)

I do apologize about the grammar.  My fingers tend to work faster than my head and I tend to not proof read. 

No need to apologize... Hell I have consistantly mistyped, misspelled and misabunch of stuff on this forum.  I think it adds character (not always good) to my post.  As far as some of the advice use what works well for you and make it happen.  Diets and running are the two topics of discussion that can not be cookie cut for the masses.  Get the basics and tweek them to fit you and your desires.  I once used a 5K training plan to get ready for a marathon and it was hard to finish the marathon.  (J/K) but again take it all in strides and make it happen.

5 days a week is a good goal and I would begin by adding an easy day until I knew my body could handle it and then move on and evolve as a runner.  Good luck and again no need to apologize I knew exactly what your question was in your OP!

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Purdey

Self anointed title

They are also useful before speed work to ensure that your muscles are loosened off (in order to avoid subconscious stride adjustments to compensate for overly tight muscles causing restricted ranges of movement) and make sure that any niggles you have aren't going to turn into an injury when you run your first rep.

Hey Bradford! You could do with a couple of commas in the above sentence. Please amend and reshow your work. 'Prec.

atomno2

Thanks for all of the kind words.  I had what i felt like was a great workout today, 6 miles, 1 mile warm up, 1/2 mile pushed pace, then 1/2 mile recover.  The 1/2 mile of recovery still seemed fast, I guess because i am not used to running in the eights.  Over all I did 6 miles with an average of 9:02. 

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

Why is it sideways?

Hi all.  I am running my 1st half in about 4 weeks.  My mileage feels like it is coming along great and I plan to do a 12 this weekend and then a 13 the next.  I have started to do some speed work and even this feels great.  I am feeling so good in fact, that my body feels like it is wanting to run everyday, or at least 5 days a week. Any advise for how to avoid injury's or can anyone talk me out of it?  My first goal is a sub 2 hour half, but more realistically looking at my runs, I think I will be a sub 2:10:00.  Thanks in advance!

A wise man has told me repeatedly:

"Don't get too high and don't get too low." Remember this moment sometime over the next couple of weeks when the training is dark and lonely and early.

Hi all.  I am running my 1st half in about 4 weeks.  My mileage feels like it is coming along great and I plan to do a 12 this weekend and then a 13 the next.  I have started to do some speed work and even this feels great.  I am feeling so good in fact, that my body feels like it is wanting to run everyday, or at least 5 days a week. Any advise for how to avoid injury's or can anyone talk me out of it?  My first goal is a sub 2 hour half, but more realistically looking at my runs, I think I will be a sub 2:10:00.  Thanks in advance!

Listen to your body. I think it knows the answer better than anyone on this forum. If your body wants to run more. Run more. If it tells you sharply it needs to rest, rest. If it just whines, run it into submission.

I'm also new to running regularly and upped to five times a week within the first month. No problem.

Good luck with your HM, my first HM is up at 2nd of July Smile

Running Blog: On my two feet

Purdey

Self anointed title

"Don't get too high and don't get too low."

Also good advice for any druggies out there.

A wise man has told me repeatedly:

"Don't get too high and don't get too low." Remember this moment sometime over the next couple of weeks when the training is dark and lonely and early.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Daedalus?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes