Sub 10 minute two-mile (Read 3948 times)

I really want to run under 10 minutes for 3200 meters, and i think i know the best way to do it. I set up my splits for a 69 first lap, then run 75's for the next 7, leaving me at a 9:54. This gives me a little room for some 76's or even a 77 or two and still be under 10. This pace would put me through the mile at 4:54. My mile pr is 4:44.6, so i think i can go out that fast. What do you guys think about this plan and how it can be improved?
      I've never raced a 2 mile on the track and my only mile races were twenty something years ago, so take this for what it's worth, but I think 69 is a little quick for an opening 400. I undertand the value of getting out fast in track races (used to specialize in the 800) but 69 when you want to average 75's seems like it will come back to bite you hard in the 2nd mile. If you can aim for more like 72 in the first lap you should be in better shape to click of 75's and bear down in the last 3 laps.

Runners run

WOO I GOT IT 9:59.5 went out in 69, 2:23 for the 800, 4:55 for the mile!
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Jake! That's a great time.
            Congrats on breaking 10. That's awesome!!. What's your next goal? 9:45, 9:30 I have to admit that I'm jealous. Breaking 10;00 was always my goal in HS. The closest I got was 10:08. My teammate and multi-year running partner finished just ahead of me in something like 10:06 or 10:07. Oh, to have that kind of speed again. Keep up the great running!!
              Nice work, man! I personally like the 2 mile distance for racing. I am hoping to break under 11 minutes for 2 mile this year, but the sub 10 is also on my long term plan. May take me a little while cause I ain't 17 no more! Wink

Ryan

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Congrats! The 10:00 barrier in the 3200 (equivalent to 10:03.5 2-mile) is a big one to crack. I came close, but never quite got there. While it's clear that you were able to do it with a 69, Mikey is correct that ultimately, even splits are the way to go. The single biggest mistake that high school distance runners make is going out too fast. The first lap of most college, and even some professional 1500 races is often slower than the first lap of a high school state meet 1600, because the more experienced runners know the race is won in the last lap, not the first. Try doing 73-75(x6)-66. That's 9:49. Since you're faster than I was, and I often ran a 66 final lap in the 3200, I bet you can, too. You'll have a much greater chance of winning/placing in races if your last lap is the fastest one. Congrats on your achievement, best of luck on going even faster.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

To add to the last thread... races are a lot less painful if you run them at a more even pace. Nothing's worse than going out too fast, going into oxygen debt after a 400, then trying to find the right pace the rest of the way. This is much easier said than done. In HS, almost all of the runners go out way too fast and then hang on best they can. I was one of those runners. (No one wants to be in last after 400) I still find myself doing that in local 5K races.

Marquess of Utopia

At Districts my senior year of HS I ran 10 flat for the 3200 I'm sure the first lap was a little quick., but the second mile was way faster than the first. I would recommend holding back the first mile. 5:0X and go after it on the second mile and see how far under 10 your can go. I made the mistake at State of going out way to fast blowing up finishing in 10:48.

Congratulations! That ain't walkin'...

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

SR1947

I read somewhere that Brian Sell never broke 10 minutes in the 3200 in high school. So, you should have no problem becoming an Olympic Marathoner!!!
                        joescott

Jake, Great goal! I hope you do it. Although there are a ton of guys probably on this website who have accomplished it that are a lot better runners than I am or ever was, your goal is something I have some direct experience with, and I remember it all pretty well even though it was a long time ago. First off, I strongly disagree with the guy who says to do your first 1600 in 5:00+. As you well know, it can be very difficult to get those seconds back… That being said, I think shooting to be in the 4:55 area will put you in the ball game if you can gut out that 3rd 800 and keep it close. I hope you have the overall fitness to get there … I question if 4:44 mile PR is fast enough to equate to < 9:59. when i was your age i got my mile down to 4:31, but sadly i missed your (our) goal and the best 3200 i ever did was 10:01. last thing: i really don’t recommend burning that first quarter in 69. put it right on 73-74 and hold ‘er steady, i would say. your team mate in spirit, joe 9:59.="" when="" i="" was="" your="" age="" i="" got="" my="" mile="" down="" to="" 4:31,="" but="" sadly="" i="" missed="" your="" (our)="" goal="" and="" the="" best="" 3200="" i="" ever="" did="" was="" 10:01.="" last="" thing:="" i="" really="" don’t="" recommend="" burning="" that="" first="" quarter="" in="" 69.="" put="" it="" right="" on="" 73-74="" and="" hold="" ‘er="" steady,="" i="" would="" say.="" your="" team="" mate="" in="" spirit,=""></ 9:59. when i was your age i got my mile down to 4:31, but sadly i missed your (our) goal and the best 3200 i ever did was 10:01. last thing: i really don’t recommend burning that first quarter in 69. put it right on 73-74 and hold ‘er steady, i would say. your team mate in spirit, joe>

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I really don’t recommend burning that first quarter in 69. Put it right on 73-74 and hold ‘er steady, I would say.
                            Yup. And unleash Hell on that last lap.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

rlemert

Paint me a deeper shade of jealous green! I ran track back when we always ran English units (2-mile, 440 yd, etc.) - no 1600/3200 for us. My goal then, which I never officially met, was to break 11:00 in the two-mile. I was good enough to place three or four times (smaller school), esp. if my team swept the event - which we did twice. As for going out too fast, I'm a classic case study. My best unofficial time in the mile (I never got to run it in a meet) was 5:05. My usual mile split in the two mile was 5:10.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

As for going out too fast, I'm a classic case study. My best unofficial time in the mile (I never got to run it in a meet) was 5:05. My usual mile split in the two mile was 5:10.
                                Ouch. That's shame because a nice, reasonable 5:20 or 5:25 would've almost certainly gotten you under 11.