Poor article on running marathons on abcnews.com (Read 384 times)

RunNow

See post 4 up from your initial post.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

DoppleBock

I do think it is part of the whole point of exercise - To stress a system so that it hyper-compensates and gets stronger.

I do believe that the stress running does put on the bodies systems can be bad in extreme cases.  I have a good friend that has had a 6+ year extreme flair up of Lupus after completing a very hard 100 mile race.  Generally some light to moderate stressing of the immune / endocrine system is good - but not in his extreme case.

I also also do believe that in people with really poor form or efficiency - Tons of miles can be hard on joints and vertebrae etc.

A singular event of running a race marathon or longer as hard as your can does negatively impact the body - But there are so many more positive benefits of training for one - It is a good trade off.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Runner Mike

Not as bad as I was expecting to read (I was expecting it to say how we'll all get heart attacks from running) but it's annoying when authors write some runners will experience this, that and the other thing but fail to mention that it's hardly anyone who will actually experience whatever they're saying some might.
           Imagine if car ads went something like this: "The new Mazda 3, with power steering and a nice coat of paint. Some drivers will kill others because they will get behind the wheel after a night of boozing."
           Oh, and I found it funny that the head line is This Is What Happens to Your Body When You Run a Marathon and the picture below is of a bunch of super fit people. Like it's saying... you'll become fit.

it's annoying how people don't seem to understand how the "news" busines works.

An article that said Most people will be fine is boring and no one would read. The fact that the OP read it and saw ft to talk about it means the author 100% did her job.

Feeling the growl again

An article that said Most people will be fine is boring and no one would read. The fact that the OP read it and saw ft to talk about it means the author 100% did her job.

Not all jobs are morally correct.

A meth dealer creating a new addict is just doing their job.

A lawyer getting off a serious criminal they know is guilty is just doing their job.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runmichigan

I was the OP.  I was pointing out that due to the 24x7 news cycle anything will be and is passed off as news.  ABC could have posted a story on their main news feed that talked about the conditions in Boston and who won.  Instead they posted this piece with a lot of unsubstantiated opinion.  Bringing forward an example of crap does not mean the news business is doing its job.