Anyone else see a really bright flash in the sky this morning, about 5:30 Central? (Read 136 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

...or did I have some sort of aneurism?

It was in the Western sky (from East Texas), and was probably a meteorite (indeed, I did see a pretty prominent "falling star" yesterday during twilight), but wow...so bright it actually caught my attention out of the corner of my eye, and the flash seemed to linger in the sky for a few seconds (I don't think it was a lingering image on my retina, but even if it was...).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Prolly just someone throwing their Think Geek Light Kicks away in frustration.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        Gator eye

I didn't see it. But mars was looking large and bright in the sky this morning.

Nemo was right.

Runners run

BeeRunB

Probably just Venus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5TCRQOxcY  (10 seconds)

joescott

Did not see it from eastern Kansas, so was probably a meteor much closer to you.  I saw one several years ago that I still remember to this day because it was much as you describe.  It seemed very bright, very close, and seemed to linger longer in the sky than the usual quick, streaky ones.  I wondered at the time if I could follow its path and figure out where it fell (if it fell intact).  Of course, in reality that would have probably been like looking for an airliner in the Indian Ocean.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

LOL, Ntown and joescott!

Biking Bad (love the username), could have been an iridium flare - the shape was similar to the one caught on camera in your link.  This was just a very quick flash, though, about the same amount of time as most meteorite streaks, would that reflection take longer?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people