newbie questions (Read 989 times)

teddseven

hey everyone... i am starting my C25K program next week and i want to seek some advice... here goes... 1. which is better: running outdoors or running on treadmill ? 2. can i mix running outdoor or on the treadmill? 3. would it be better to run in the morning or evening? 4. i work 12 hours shift 4 days working pattern ( 2 days and 2 nites) and i cant avoid snacking in teh middle of the nite : any tips on how to control? i used to be a fit bunny :working out at the gym 5 times a week and taekwondo twice a week and lost all my college weight of 25 lbs in two months with very strict eating habits. since working (2years) i have put on a lot of weight due to working environment. i am looking to lose 55 lbs to reach my ideal weight and hopefully i can do that in a year and also maintain it for life. i want to be able to eat like normal coz i dun normally eat a lot and i tend to skip my meals. any advice?
      i am starting my C25K program next week
      Awesome. Welcome to RA and I'm glad that you're going to start running. I got here by way of the C25k program and am glad I did it. We have a Couch to 5k group here on RA. Check it out.
      1. which is better: running outdoors or running on treadmill ?
      Whichever one gets you moving is best for you.
      2. can i mix running outdoor or on the treadmill?
      Yes. See my answer to question one.
      3. would it be better to run in the morning or evening?
      Yes. See my answer to question one.
      4. i work 12 hours shift 4 days working pattern ( 2 days and 2 nites) and i cant avoid snacking in teh middle of the nite : any tips on how to control? i am looking to lose 55 lbs to reach my ideal weight and hopefully i can do that in a year and also maintain it for life. i want to be able to eat like normal coz i dun normally eat a lot and i tend to skip my meals. any advice?
      We have a group here on RA called the Jiggly Joggers with lots of friendly, helpful people who can help you with some of these questions. Check them out.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I finished C25k about a year ago and it is a great program! You will love it! By the way if you have an iPod there are podcasts for each of the weeks, I think you can find them just doing a general web search. I did not run outside until I was almost finished with C25k and found that running outside the first few times seemed a lot harder. I think it varies from person to person and what you are used to. Like Kirsten said, do what you enjoy. I run all my miles on the TM during the week and then 1 run outside on Saturday, but that is more due to safety reasons (I don't like running alone in the dark early in the morning). I prefer to run outside but circumstances don't really allow for it. Good luck!
        ---- Cynthia
          1. Either is fine IMHO. 2. Absolutely! 3. You do what feels best, but DO IT! 4. Snack lightly and healthy. Wishing you loads of success. Stay here and these folks will show you the way. Wink

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

1. I have to say that running outdoors is "better" but either works. 2. Mixing it up is fine. I prefer just running outdoors, personally, but there's no reason not to do both. Treadmill running is okay, but doesn't give you the downhill running, the mixed terrain running, the impact running, or the running in the elements experience. That, and I find it really boring, personally. It beats the hell out of not doing anything, but especially if you are aiming for an outdoor 5k, you really should try to get outside at least every once in a while. I recommend reading my article on tracks vs treadmills; most of the track side applies to roads. 3. Running in the morning or evening is better when you can consistently do it. Generally, it is better if you have been up and moving around for a few hours because your muscles will be looser, but it isn't really required. I solve this problem by often running in both the morning and the evening... 4. I have four tips for controlling your snacking. First, eat breakfast. You haven't eaten for a long time and your body wants something to get the fires going. Second, eat regularly. You should be eating something every 2 to 4 hours; waiting 6 or 7 hours between meals makes your body think that you are in a famine and then you eat more than you need to at any specific meal. Eating regularly means you can eat less and your body's metabolism will be revved up and burning more calories longer. Third, keep a water bottle handy. If you aren't well hydrated, you'll be more likely to eat and drink junk that you find on hand. Water is a much better alternative than a bottle of coke. Fourth, have good snacks available. I keep a few things in my desk: some granola bars, home made beef jerky, home made apple leathers, a tub of pretzels, a jar of almonds or peanuts...those are the sorts of snacks I always have on hand. I don't think that I have once used the vending machines where I work to get a candy bar or a cake or something like that. (I have gotten soda 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years when I was really thirsty and forgot to bring water with me.) I also bring a banana to work with me every day, and seasonably will bring an apple or some other fruit with me. If I am cooking anything with carrots for dinner, I usually cut up a few extra ones and put them in baggies to bring to work as well. That's my two cents. I think that you'll do fine. Just find a time that you can consistently workout and follow your training plan, whether that be on a treadmill or outside. Healthy eating habits will tend to leave you fuller for longer, and you'll be eating more often anyway, so it doesn't take you long to no longer missing having that caffeine or sugar rush.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Another Passion

I think everyone has you pretty well covered teddseven. Do what you find works best for you. You'll figure it all out, just be consistent in getting your runs in and stick with it. The only cautions I would note are: 1. Make sure you have good quality running shoes (your best bet is to spend the time and cash at a local running shop for shoes, at least initially) and 2. Don't try to do too much, too fast, or too fast a pace. That all will come with time. Be patient and listen to your body. You've made the wise decision, Grasshopper. Congratulations and good luck! You're in good hands here. There are a lot of seasoned and knowledgeable runners here that are more than willing to answer your questions and help/inspire you to succeed. Wink

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

1. which is better: running outdoors or running on treadmill ? 2. can i mix running outdoor or on the treadmill? 3. would it be better to run in the morning or evening?
                I think running outside or on the treadmill are both fine. I do both. I prefer outside just because it's not boring and it allows for different terrain and such. But, I wouldn't give up my treadmill, I use it a lot more than I'd like to. It's my saviour. I can never say that I can't go run since the treadmill is safe from weather and it doesn't matter if it's dark outside! It's also great for when you're sore or injured, since the treadmill is far less demanding. Running time of day I think, is a personal preference type of thing. Personally I do better when I run mid-day. Morning I'm half awake and there's always so much going on. Evenings are good but then I may end up being wide awake afterwards. I don't have a set schedule of running, I just fit it in when ever I can. Good luck with all of your goals! Smile

Michelle

Eryn

Re #4, eating (or not over-eating) during night shifts is really challenging. I was pulling 3 nights/week plus full time school when I was in college and managed to gain 25+ lbs in 6 months. I found out that when my body was telling me 'hungry' it actually meant 'sleepy.' More sleep might help you with the snacking, otherwise I used to bring high-volume-low-calorie foods for night shifts. This seemed to satisfy me without going too crazy on the calories. Try popcorn, carrots, vegetables, etc. Good luck!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

I echo Blaine's comments regarding the experience of outdoor running compared to on the mill. I do think opposite of clhagan however, in that I think t-mill running is harder. I live in a hilly area and downhills give you a break from your exertion. I also feel like the forward motion (momentum) plays a part. With that said, it's a running standard that you set a t-mill at a 1% incline to duplicate the effort you'd expend running on flat roads. I always disagreed with this until recently. I did some very controlled tests using my HRM and running at my easy pace. If I left the t-mill flat, my HR at my easy pace was 4-6 bpm lower than on a flat highway. I know you didn't ask for all this. Embarrassed Sorry .... Big grin

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

With that said, it's a running standard that you set a t-mill at a 1% incline to duplicate the effort you'd expend running on flat roads.
                      Actually, I should have mentioned this, but another reason (and the main reason) you should always have the treadmill set to at least 1% (I prefer 2%) to keep yourself from hyper-extending your back. One of the physical therapists at the complete running network clued me in to that little tidbit last winter. (It's mentioned in the track vs treadmill article I linked above at least.)

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Actually, I should have mentioned this, but another reason (and the main reason) you should always have the treadmill set to at least 1% (I prefer 2%) to keep yourself from hyper-extending your back. One of the physical therapists at the complete running network clued me in to that little tidbit last winter. (It's mentioned in the track vs treadmill article I linked above at least.)
                        Interesting .... I'd never heard that. Thank you!

I recently lost about 60 pounds (since March) so you can definitely do it. I don't starve myself - just eat better. 1. which is better: running outdoors or running on treadmill ? I run both outside and on the treadmill. I like outside better. I get bored easily on the treadmill. 2. can i mix running outdoor or on the treadmill? Yes. I mix both. I like to mix it up because the treadmill is easier on my knees so I try to run on the treadmill at least once a week. 3. would it be better to run in the morning or evening? I like running in the morning better but that's just me. By the time I get home from work, its usually too late for me to run. 4. i work 12 hours shift 4 days working pattern ( 2 days and 2 nites) and i cant avoid snacking in teh middle of the nite : any tips on how to control? I've found some healthly stuff to keep around. I keep a box of Kashi Go Lean bars in my office. Try not to skip meals. I find it better for myself to eat smaller meals more often. If I get too hungry, I tend to stuff my face with whatever is within reach.
                          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."