Getting ready for 15K/Half Marathon (Read 116 times)

Daniel

I wouldn't say that I'm new to running, but I'm new at running long distance.  I've been running since July and I'm up to 7 miles x 4 days a week outside not on a treadmill.  I have always told myself that I was not a runner and could never do any more than the couple miles that would have been expected of me while I was in the military, however, I have proven myself wrong.  I really feel good about what I have accomplished and that I still have not given up on running even in the first couple months when I wanted to quit.  I've always been a big guy and really built for power and not for speed.  I do not expect I will ever be competing for first in my age group (35), but I do want to get better.  As I have said I do run somewhere around 28 miles a week at this point in my training.  I am wanting to get ready to run a 15K in Nashville in the middle February and a Half Marathon at the end of February and again in April.  I feel that I'm on pace for the 15K but I want to make sure that I am ready for the Half at the end of February.  Currently I'm running a little over an hour to complete my 7 mile distance and when my body gets over the soreness I will increase my distance a little more.

So to keep this from turning into a novel; what are some things that I need to do to keep getting ready for the half?  For those that run Half marathons and full Marathons how much do you run per week when getting ready?  I know from looking at training plans that it takes a lot of work and many suggest the increased pace to improve on time, but I do not feel that I am ready to worry about being the faster person out on the course.  I really just want to finish with the best time that I can get, which is really difficult to say since I'm possibly one of the most competitive people out there.  I just realize you can't win the Kentucky Derby with a work mule.  Also what are some things I need to look at purchasing for my runs, especially on the colder mornings.  I know this week we are expecting some teens in the early mornings here in TN.

TIA for any advice you can give!!

There's a couple of key workouts that you can do each week to have a short term improvement. If you can add another day of running that will also help.

1. 7-8 miles with 3-5 miles at a comfortably hard pace. So, warm up with 1-2 miles at an easy pace, then 3-5 miles at "tempo" pace, then 1-2 miles at a recovery pace. Start with 3 miles at tempo and work up to 5. No tempo runs within 10 days of the race.
      2. 1.5 to 2 hours duration long run. Start with 1.5 hours and work up to 2 hours. No long runs within 2 weeks of the race.
      kilkee

runktrun

It sounds like you've made some great progress!  Rather than recommending some baller workouts to get you ready for the half, I will caution you to not over train.  If you started from essentially NO RUNNING before July and have built up to 7 mile runs, you've put your body through a lot of stress.  Seilerts' suggestions are good ones, but only if you can add the miles slowly and comfortably and give your body time to recover before the races.  So, I would recommend working up to a medium-long run with some tempo pace miles in the middle of January, then backing off your mileage and intensity for a week or two to see how you feel.  Same thing with the 2hr long run.  Try to work up to that a week or two before your 15k, then back off.

In addition to long workouts, add striders or bursts of speed into one of your regular runs once per week.  After a shorter, easy run, run 4 x 100m at a comfortably hard pace.  It should not be a sprint, but rather a really fast pace that you can maintain with your normal, relaxed running form.  Accelerate into the first 50m and then float through the second half.  Alternately,  throw in 6 x :20-:30 accelerations during a regular run.  Don't worry about pace, just try to feel fast and efficient.  These will help with running economy and make the slower race paces of longer races feel easier.

The best thing you can do is run consistently, which you've been doing.  That alone will improve your fitness quite a bit.  I know you want to race the 15k and half really well, but keep in mind running is a long process and it's better to reach the start line healthy if undertrained than overtrained and injured.  Learn from these races to help you progress in future races.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

oldrunner59

Seriously though if this is your first half the competition is between you and the finish line. Finish the first one and worry about your time next time around.

Daniel

Thanks for the advice. I'll start working on the intervals probably next week on some fresh legs. The idea of battling the finish line was the thought I had in mind. The half that I'm going to run in February is supposed to be more hilly and most people say don't look to pr on that course. I'll try to do a little better come April in Nashville where it's flatter.

RichardR

Maybe I can add 2 cents here....  You are currently running 28 miles/week.  That's close to what I average.  And, I can run a half just to finish almost any time I want.  Which is why I feel perhaps qualified to contribute to your thread.

If you just want to finish at an even pace, with no breaks in the race, I would say that your miles are already there.  That's because you are already running my mileage.

However, for your half, I agree with an earlier poster.  A longer run once a week is in order here, and you will be surprised at how much difference it makes.

So, you have about 2 months until your half.  Let's call in 8 weeks, and make a little bit of a plan.

I would suggest a weekly running schedule like this:

Day 1: 5 miles

Day 2: 7 miles

Day 3: 7 miles

Day 4: 8 miles (This would be for next week). (27 miles that week)

Week 2: Increase day 4 to 9 miles (28 miles)

Week 3: Increase day 4 to 10 miles, and if need be, back Day 1 off to 4 miles (Again, close to 28 miles.  Maybe 29)

Week 4: Increase day 4 to 11 miles, and back day 3 off to 6 miles.

Week 5: Same as Week 4.

Week 6: Increase day 4 to 12 miles, and back day 3 off to 5 miles (Still 28 miles/wk)

Week 7: Back off Day 4 to just 7, 8 or 9 miles, whatever you feel like.

Week 8: The week of the race, go easy.  Nothing over 5 miles.

That will get you safely across the finish line, and you will be satisfied.  I am sure of it.

If you feel good, and the soreness goes away, then add some slightly faster running as mini-sprints (or strides as we call them) on the shortest day of the week, AFTER your other miles.

You mentioned being very competitive.  I am, too.  Very.  My hardest thing in running is to not run every run as if it were a race.  The body can't handle that kind of stress.  So, even though I am very competitive, I have learned the value of going slow.

So, a little on pace.  You mentioned you can get 7 miles in a little over an hour.  That's about what I could do, if I ran 7 miles every day, and tried to push reasonably hard.  What works better for me (and I admit I actually 5 days/wk, so the non-long run days are a little shorter than yours), is to run the 7 miles at about 9:00 to 9:15 instead of 8:45.  That makes a big difference.  If I can force myself to slow down, 9:30 would be even better.  If you increase that LONG day as I suggest, I suggest you also slow it down to 9:30 or so for pace.  That will feel very comfortable to you.

The idea there would be that the only time you ever need to run 13 miles at your current pace for 7 miles is ONCE - one race day.  Save the effort for that.....

Good luck

I ran my first half marathon in 1:57 off a base of 20 miles per week, with a peak week of 27 miles.  The following year, when my base was 30 miles per week, I ran a half in 1:56.  All of my training miles were easy miles.  No intervals, no tempo runs.

You have the base to run a half marathon right now.  Add a few 10 mile long runs and you will be ready.

Daniel

Maybe I can add 2 cents here....  You are currently running 28 miles/week.  That's close to what I average.  And, I can run a half just to finish almost any time I want.  Which is why I feel perhaps qualified to contribute to your thread.

If you just want to finish at an even pace, with no breaks in the race, I would say that your miles are already there.  That's because you are already running my mileage.

However, for your half, I agree with an earlier poster.  A longer run once a week is in order here, and you will be surprised at how much difference it makes.

So, you have about 2 months until your half.  Let's call in 8 weeks, and make a little bit of a plan.

I would suggest a weekly running schedule like this:

Day 1: 5 miles

Day 2: 7 miles

Day 3: 7 miles

Day 4: 8 miles (This would be for next week). (27 miles that week)

Week 2: Increase day 4 to 9 miles (28 miles)

Week 3: Increase day 4 to 10 miles, and if need be, back Day 1 off to 4 miles (Again, close to 28 miles.  Maybe 29)

Week 4: Increase day 4 to 11 miles, and back day 3 off to 6 miles.

Week 5: Same as Week 4.

Week 6: Increase day 4 to 12 miles, and back day 3 off to 5 miles (Still 28 miles/wk)

Week 7: Back off Day 4 to just 7, 8 or 9 miles, whatever you feel like.

Week 8: The week of the race, go easy.  Nothing over 5 miles.

That will get you safely across the finish line, and you will be satisfied.  I am sure of it.

If you feel good, and the soreness goes away, then add some slightly faster running as mini-sprints (or strides as we call them) on the shortest day of the week, AFTER your other miles.

You mentioned being very competitive.  I am, too.  Very.  My hardest thing in running is to not run every run as if it were a race.  The body can't handle that kind of stress.  So, even though I am very competitive, I have learned the value of going slow.

So, a little on pace.  You mentioned you can get 7 miles in a little over an hour.  That's about what I could do, if I ran 7 miles every day, and tried to push reasonably hard.  What works better for me (and I admit I actually 5 days/wk, so the non-long run days are a little shorter than yours), is to run the 7 miles at about 9:00 to 9:15 instead of 8:45.  That makes a big difference.  If I can force myself to slow down, 9:30 would be even better.  If you increase that LONG day as I suggest, I suggest you also slow it down to 9:30 or so for pace.  That will feel very comfortable to you.

The idea there would be that the only time you ever need to run 13 miles at your current pace for 7 miles is ONCE - one race day.  Save the effort for that.....

Good luck

Great advice, thanks!  I have been thinking about picking up an extra run on Saturdays before my family gets up.  I actually tried to push my pace at times during my run this morning, however, I think that it made the other parts of my time slower.  I know it will all come together at some point.  Just right now my body is going what the **** are you doing to me!

Daniel

I ran my first half marathon in 1:57 off a base of 20 miles per week, with a peak week of 27 miles.  The following year, when my base was 30 miles per week, I ran a half in 1:56.  All of my training miles were easy miles.  No intervals, no tempo runs.

You have the base to run a half marathon right now.  Add a few 10 mile long runs and you will be ready.

This is kind-of what I wanted to hear from someone else too.  Everyone else has given some great pointers on getting a little faster and increasing my distances, but I really wanted to hear that at this point I could potentially finish the half by keeping up with what I'm doing.  I will probably begin putting some faster areas of my run, but like the other guy said right now with it being my first half that it is just a battle between me and the finish line.  Having never been a long distance person this is new territory for me.

hog4life

It sounds like you are talking about the Mercedes Half?! I have my half PR on that course!

There is some great advice here for increasing distance and speed. One thing I would like to add as you keep building up your mileage.... is take rest days. If you continue to keep building and building and running faster and faster, you could easily end up with an overuse injury. I think the best advice given here is to increase your long run into the 10-12 range, and maybe not necessarily increase your weekly mileage.