Posting just the occasional run to Facebook (Read 394 times)

joescott

How does one post just the occasional interesting run to Facebook, so as not to spam all of one's "friends" with every meaningless training run?  I see the setting on the FB app under the Preferences tab, but I'm fearful that if I click "Publish" it will turn on a hose spewing every one of my boring runs.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I think of the "Publish" setting on FB to actually be a "Self Destruct" button. Push it only if you want to completely eliminate everything non-running related (if there is anything that fits that category) from your page.

You could just post a link to the particular workout or race entry.

A Saucy Wench

I do think it would be nice if you could choose to not publish or publish as you log the event.  Right now the options are everything or races only.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

TammyinGP

I have friends on different lists over at facebook. One of my lists is "running friends" - so when I want to post about my running, the majority of the time, I post it so it's only visible to those on my running friends list.

Tammy

I do think it would be nice if you could choose to not publish or publish as you log the event.  Right now the options are everything or races only.

+1  I agree.  That would be nice.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I personally will rarely publish a "MapMyRun" when I hit a new longest distance.  Last one I did was 19 miles.    --- There are only about 4 people that care out of all my FB friends(one parent, 3 dedicated running buds), but I publish it anyway so that those 4 folks can see.  Likewise, 3 of the 4 publish their distances and I love to see how they are doing with their goals as well.

For the other tons of folks on facebook who are about as concerned about my running as I am about their favorite football team, they will just pass it over in a millisecond and that is all fine :-)  No need to overthink it, publish it and those who are interested will reply :-)

Most sites will only "publish" that one run though.  It doesn't turn on a stream of publishes every time you do a new run in mapmyrun for instance.   (Not sure if other running related sites treat it the same way, but I think so).   ---I may be wrong if any of the sites treat it like that crappy app "Foursquare", which seems to auto publish every single place a person goes.  -- Eating Fries at the Mcdonalds on Main Street?  We all know now.  Thanks for that! :-)))  (Hmm, I am hungry for fries now...)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mmmmm...beer

I usually only post about my runs on FB when I've set a new PR (race or training), or just had one of those perfect runs.  But I don't publish it from here, I just write a comment about it.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

joescott

I do think it would be nice if you could choose to not publish or publish as you log the event. 

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking.  But, still can do it the "hard" way I guess  .... you know, back in my day, we couldn't just click on the little facebook icon to post it to FB, we actually had to copy the URL.....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

seattlechica

This is what I do.  I think people are more likely to be interested if you tell them about your run and what made it special instead of it just being an automated "so and so just ran 3 miles"!

I usually only post about my runs on FB when I've set a new PR (race or training), or just had one of those perfect runs.  But I don't publish it from here, I just write a comment about it.