1.5 miles in 12 minutes (Read 310 times)

Hello,

I really need help with a training plan. I've been running for the past 2 years with a little break this winter. I started running again 3 months ago and was averaging 5-6 miles a day with 20 miles a week. I run at an 11 minute pace. I now have an exam coming up where I have to run 1.5 miles in less than 14 minutes, the closer I can get to 12 minutes the better. I've never run fast before, just long slow runs for years. What should I do for the next 4 weeks to achieve this? I run outside but have access to a gym if using the treadmill is easier for this. Thanks!

MoBramExam

How fast can you run 1.5 miles right now?

What is the exam for?

Art in AZ

To me the answer is obvious. Start running faster gradually. Build up to it. Warm up and start running. Run faster for 30 seconds and slow down for 30 seconds. Repeat. Slowly add seconds to your time.

It's certainly doable. If I can do it you should be able to.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

MoBramExam

20 miles per week is a solid base, and 11 MPM is a good aerobic training pace.  I suggest adding one hard run per week.  Make that run 1.5 miles and time it.  By hard, I mean not quite flat out race pace, but at the end you won't go any farther.  Don't worry about the time, you can expect it to improve each week.  All other runs should stay at the 11 MPM easy aerobic pace.

And let us know how it's working.

Daydreamer1

When you're doing your hard run pay attention to form, especially stride length. I fell into the trap of always running slow this past winter. Leg turnover was good, stride length was very short. When I'd try to run fast I really couldn't until I figured out that I needed to increase my stride length. It was kind of amazing how much time I gained simply by taking longer strides.  A few things that I found was my calves had become weak from not pushing off as much as I should have been and my hips were really tight.

Just be careful not to over stride.

BimBamBooh

1,5 mile is not that long. all what you need is to work on your speed. uphills, upstairs + intervals + core training and you will be there

chrisbrain68

As far as getting under the required 14 minutes, I wouldn't be surprised if you can already do that.

I do 6 miles at roughly the same pace as you and when I do 3 miles and pick it up a little, I get down to about a 9:30 pace.

If you really want to try at get down to 12 minutes, then you really need to start speed runs right away. Id even do two a week

Thanks so much to everyone for the reply. The general consensus seems to be to throw some speed work in there. I think what I'll do 3 days a week my long slow runs of 5 miles and the other 3 days I'll do some intervals and hill running. Thanks a lot!

jackburton

Some of the responses here are overcomplicating a very simple thing.  You do not need to worry about form, intervals, core, etc for a 1.5 mile run.  Just get out there and run until you puke. Really that's all there is to it.  When I started running I typically jogged at 10 min mile pace or slower.  I entered a mile race and thought, "I'll be happy with a 9 minute mile.  An 8 minute mile would be great!"

I ran as hard as I could and just gave it all and imagine my surprised when I threw down a 6:48 min mile.

Just get out there and do it.

Thanks so much to everyone for the reply. The general consensus seems to be to throw some speed work in there. I think what I'll do 3 days a week my long slow runs of 5 miles and the other 3 days I'll do some intervals and hill running. Thanks a lot!

Just get out there and run until you puke. Really that's all there is to it.  

In a race, yes,  NEVER in training.  The ideal training pace for 90% of your running is about 3 minutes per mile slower than  your actual 1.5 mile race pace.

MelKap

I agree with most of these comments.  The thing is, you have to get yourself out of your comfort zone.  If you stay in the comfort zone, you will never get faster.  Intervals and speed runs are both great.  Just remember to push yourself.  The pain may not go away but at least you are finished faster. It does get easier.  Good luck!